Sign the Petition Against EPA's Anti-Race Car Proposal

Sign the Petition Against EPA's Anti-Race Car Proposal

techrat_77techrat_77 Senior Member
edited January 2017 in NHRA
The EPA is proposing the elimination of future hot rods, plain and simple. Sign the petition and let your voice be heard while it still can! SEMA is actively protesting this measure.

According to reports, "It would outlaw the conversion of any type of emissions-certified vehicle into a racecar, and make it illegal to sell any emissions-related parts for those cars."

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/tell-epa-withdraw-its-proposal-prohibit-conversion-vehicles-racecars-0

Comments

• ThecapnredfishThecapnredfish Senior Member
    edited February 2016
    Done, now can we start one to get portable gas cans that function
  • racer12306racer12306 Senior Member
    edited February 2016
    I'm trying to figure this out.

The EPA is claiming that this is already in place, but the verbiage in the Federal Register seems pretty specific.

Either way, I'm emailing my senators and representatives.
  • anotheridiotanotheridiot Senior Member
    edited February 2016
    racer12306 wrote: »
    I'm trying to figure this out.

The EPA is claiming that this is already in place, but the verbiage in the Federal Register seems pretty specific.

Either way, I'm emailing my senators and representatives.

Me too, the way it reads, they dont want you to be able to buy emission related parts to fix an emissions system and keep the car legal either.
    edited February 2016
    I'm sure they don't want you or me to be able to buy that stuff. We're just idiots, that stuff needs to be handled by the professionals.

Or they just want you to buy a new car that is compliant with the latest emissions regulations.
  • HEMI_guyHEMI_guy Senior Member
    edited February 2016
    Or they just want you to buy a new car that is compliant with the latest emissions regulations.

That's exactly it. We haven't forgotten about "Cash for Clunkers" have we?

Don't be shocked if you found car manufactures paying big money lobbyists to get this stuff passed.
  • WillyWilly Administrator
    edited February 2016
    HEMI_guy wrote: »
    That's exactly it. We haven't forgotten about "Cash for Clunkers" have we?

Don't be shocked if you found car manufactures paying big money lobbyists to get this stuff passed.

Wrong....

This has nothing to do with street legal vehicles. The intentionally confusing wording more than suggests that it will prohibit the conversion of a street car into a race only machine, which typically means elimination of factory installed emission equipment. It also puts at risk factory produced race cars such as the CJ's, COPO's and Drag Pak's.

Why do you think SEMA, an organization that Ford, GM AND Chrysler are a part of are getting the word out on this?
    edited February 2016
    Willy wrote: »
    Wrong....

This has nothing to do with street legal vehicles. The intentionally confusing wording more than suggests that it will prohibit the conversion of a street car into a race only machine, which typically means elimination of factory installed emission equipment. It also puts at risk factory produced race cars such as the CJ's, COPO's and Drag Pak's.

Why do you think SEMA, an organization that Ford, GM AND Chrysler are a part of are getting the word out on this?

I really dont understand the drag paks and copos deal anyway. You are paying for a race ready car, they should be run in their race ready state. It should be driver racing. I just dont get the angle. How many people do you see putting new LS crate motors, with their emissions and computers in the emission year cars. Those will still pass emissions. Last I checked if you file an application for a street rod, your car will be tested with the specs for the drive train. So if you put a 2015 crate LS motor in an old coupe, you should be tested as a 2015. I really dont know what the rules are anymore, but the 1990 Jeep we restored has never been called in for emissions anyway, even though we kept all the systems and mile of vacuum hoses to run the systems.
    edited February 2016
    I really dont understand the drag paks and copos deal anyway. You are paying for a race ready car, they should be run in their race ready state. It should be driver racing. I just dont get the angle. How many people do you see putting new LS crate motors, with their emissions and computers in the emission year cars. Those will still pass emissions. Last I checked if you file an application for a street rod, your car will be tested with the specs for the drive train. So if you put a 2015 crate LS motor in an old coupe, you should be tested as a 2015. I really dont know what the rules are anymore, but the 1990 Jeep we restored has never been called in for emissions anyway, even though we kept all the systems and mile of vacuum hoses to run the systems.

Again.....this proposal pertains to race cars that are not driven on the street.

http://jalopnik.com/the-epas-crackdown-on-race-cars-explained-1758111546?rev=1455052382182
  • oliveroliver Senior Member
    edited February 2016
    It's bad enough we got state & sometimes fed EPA poking around the repair shop. Now at race shops & tracks? No way.
    edited February 2016
    I'm a big advocate of reducing emissions into the atmoshoere... but let's be serious here. Just how many new cars do they think are being converted into race cars? And just how much emissions do they think they are spewing into the air? Sure seems like all the time and effort being spent on this (coverting new cars to race cars) could be better spent on something else that creates much more emissions.
    edited February 2016
    I'm a big advocate of reducing emissions into the atmoshoere... but let's be serious here. Just how many new cars do they think are being converted into race cars? And just how much emissions do they think they are spewing into the air? Sure seems like all the time and effort being spent on this (coverting new cars to race cars) could be better spent on something else that creates much more emissions.

Most of your local bracket racers are running converted street cars. These people aren't going and buying high dollar race cars to race every week, well, most of them aren't.

But still as a percentage, it's low.
    edited February 2016
    Most of your local bracket racers are running converted street cars. These people aren't going and buying high dollar race cars to race every week, well, most of them aren't.

But still as a percentage, it's low.

.... with cars are typically drive less than a hundred miles per year!

Is this bill concerneing only new cars, or all that cars that have already been converted to race cars?

lol... and are they proposing to have EPA offcials at every race track in the country? Now that would be money wisely spent... NOT!
  • bkawa74bkawa74 Senior Member
    edited February 2016
    Burnouts will be deemed Illegal soon, Power of the EPA, sheez ! ::mad:
    edited February 2016
    bkawa74 wrote: »
    Burnouts will be deemed Illegal soon, Power of the EPA, sheez ! ::mad:

That is the key though, EPA has lost the majority of its federal funding, which is why their budget is based on how many fines they collect. I guess if you are going to build something, build something that had no emissions systems.
    edited February 2016
    .... with cars are typically drive less than a hundred miles per year!

Is this bill concerneing only new cars, or all that cars that have already been converted to race cars?

lol... and are they proposing havinf EPA offcials at every race track in the country? Now that would be money wisely spent... NOT!

They are saying it doesn't matter what the vehicle/engine does, if it came with a Certified emissions system, that system shall always remain intact. This reaches even further than just converting your 3rd gen Camaro into a race car. This is for all those with 60s and 70s era cars that are putting LS, Mod and new gen hemis in them. I'd bet anything that a 69 Camaro with a stock/mildly modified LS1 in it will put out less emissions that the engine it came with, but that's not how our government thinks.

There is no way they could retroactively apply it to vehicles that are already converted for off road use.
  • RVT1000RVT1000 Senior Member
    edited February 2016
    I don't care who passes what.

No one is telling me what I can or cannot do on my unregistered vehicle that is not being driven on a public road. No one.
  • HockeybikeHockeybike Senior Member
    edited February 2016
    Signed signed
  • techrat_77techrat_77 Senior Member
    edited February 2016

Densmore is spot-on in his commentary. The EPA has been basing it's work on issues and politics instead of facts for some time now. They conveniently ignore the much shorter supply of rare-earth minerals used in battery manufacture and the greater long term harm battery disposal creates to the environment, let alone the increased pollutants from the manufacture of said vehicles, yet still push electric cars as "the answer." The industrial diesel engine I've been documenting is touted by the manufacturer to produce cleaner air coming out of the muffler than what is going into the intake manifold. Many advances have been made to the internal combustion engine and long term use is still cleaner than most other sources. Allowing hot rodders to "tweak" the technology could bring about the next big breakthrough in technology.
    edited February 2016
    I don't think the EPA is pushing battery power as THE solution. It is A plan in a multitude OF plans. Going clean is going to be multi-pronged. Yeah the batteries come with a whole bunch of new problems, but for now they are a stepping stone to provide a source of power that's helping develop more efficient electric motors. I think hydrogen cells will eventualy be the best solution.
  • techrat_77techrat_77 Senior Member
    edited February 2016
    I don't think the EPA is pushing battery power as THE solution. It is A plan in a multitude OF plans. Going clean is going to be multi-pronged. Yeah the batteries come with a whole bunch of new problems, but for now they are a stepping stone to provide a source of power that's helping develop more efficient electric motors. I think hydrogen cells will eventualy be the best solution.

Electric vehicles HAVE been pushed quite aggressively in some markets. Interestingly enough, they were found to increase smog in China due to how their electricity is generated. Hydrogen cells are a fascinating concept and I agree they will play a part in future power plants. It's been almost 20 years since I last worked on a hydrogen project and I have to think there have been improvements there somewhere. True hybrids hold some promise, and I think that is an avenue hot rodders could improve if the government stays out of our sandbox.
    edited March 2016
    Glad he was there to call her out on this.
    edited April 2016
  • TwostepTwostep Senior Member
    edited April 2016
    I figured this nonsense would be dropped, but it's nice to see it become official:

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2016/04/18/epa-proposal-to-regulate-race-car-conversions-dropped-after-outcry/?intcmp=hpff

EDIT: Wasn't aware this was old news. Anyway, still good. :-)
    edited January 2017
    Twostep wrote: »
    I figured this nonsense would be dropped, but it's nice to see it become official:

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2016/04/18/epa-proposal-to-regulate-race-car-conversions-dropped-after-outcry/?intcmp=hpff

EDIT: Wasn't aware this was old news. Anyway, still good. :-)

Here's the unfortunate fact. Even though that language has been stricken from the regs, it turns out we aren't in the clear.

Additional details with video of the press conference at PRI....

http://competitionplus.com/competitionplustv/cptv-news-updating-the-rpm-act

Link here to: SEMA RPM Act Info Page
  • Yvonne*Yvonne* Super Moderator
    edited January 2017
    Here's the unfortunate fact. Even though that language has been stricken from the regs, it turns out we aren't in the clear.

Additional details with video of the press conference at PRI....

http://competitionplus.com/competitionplustv/cptv-news-updating-the-rpm-act

Link here to: SEMA RPM Act Info Page

Very informative and so important! Video was well worth the watch!
    edited January 2017
    Give it a year.... the EPA may not even exist by then.... at least not as was we now know it anyway.
    edited January 2017
    Yvonne* wrote: »
    Very informative and so important! Video was well worth the watch!

Yes, and thanks.

The wheels are turning on this....

http://competitionplus.com/competitionplustv/cptv-news-bill-to-protect-motorsports-reintroduced-in-the-us-house-of

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.