What about a Competitive Ford in Pro Stock ! - Page 227

What about a Competitive Ford in Pro Stock !

1221222223224225227»

Comments

• The Cuadras might get competitive eventually with the Nick Ferri engine program, they seem committed and they have the dollars

• The two Cuadra sons qualified in Pomona but Dad didn't. However, Dad doesn't have his new Mustang yet.

• WillyWilly Administrator
    edited February 15

I can appreciate the fact the Cuardra's are racing in Pro Stock with something other than Camaro body, and I'm happy they went with Mustang.

That said, I doubt the sons qualified those Mustang bodied cars with engines that have NHRA mandated Ford block and head part numbers, which incidentally, haven't been in the FRPP catalog for several years now. More likely they had NHRA accepted GM DRCE based power.

I also noticed that Ford Racing made no mention of them qualifying at the Winternationals. It's safe to assume Ford does not consider them "Fords". At least for now...

And on a related note, Ford Racing Performance Parts just announced the last of the current generation Cobra Jet Mustangs are now available.

https://performance.ford.com/series/drag-racing/news/articles/2020/2020/1/last-chance-to-be-a-unique-part-of-mustang-history.html

An interesting note in that is this: A new Cobra Jet is not planned for the foreseeable future so don’t let this opportunity pass you by.

Make one wonder what their future in Factory Stock Showdown is.... 

• slugbelchslugbelch Senior Member

"An interesting note in that is this: A new Cobra Jet is not planned for the foreseeable future so don’t let this opportunity pass you by.

Make one wonder what their future in Factory Stock Showdown is.... "

That is not good news. We may see the other two factory hot rods not far behind.

• HEMI_guyHEMI_guy Senior Member
    edited February 16

The Rules allow clones. In fact I would never even consider running a factory original COPO, Cobra Jet or DragPak.

• a21studa21stud Senior Member
    edited February 16

If it's got a GM part numbered power plant, it's not a Ford.

Chevord or Musevy or Fovy (pronounced "phuuie") ,,, but not a Ford.

.....anyway, It's good to hear Nick's got a P/S customer. I bet they'll be among the top contenders soon.

• MoodyBluesMoodyBlues Senior Member

I haven't posted for awhile but I cant wait til a FORD is racing. I have quite watching NHRA. I could care less about fuel cars. NHRA has become worse than nascar.

I'm planning to be at the the Drag Illustrated Pro Mod/Pro Stock race next week in Orlando and I like both classes. That said, if NHRA went 1957 and outlawed nitro, they really would be worse than NASCAR because they would quickly be out of business.

However if NHRA eliminated Pro Stock, I doubt they would lose 5% of their $60+ ticket buying fans. I get it that you don't care for the nitro cars, but they pay the NHRA bills (and the big paychecks with year end bonuses).

• V10KLZZ71SV10KLZZ71S Senior Member
    edited February 23

There will be a competitive Ford in PS if Robert Patrick makes it back as planned. MMPS.

• coupe3wcoupe3w Senior Member

The only way he would be competitive is if it's GM powered. There is no Ford support for P/S.

• racer12306racer12306 Senior Member

There might not be factory support, but in MMPS, Fords tend to do quite well.

I believe somebody out there can build a competitive Ford. I believe alot of it is $$$$. I race a 572 A-Head NA and my car will run 5.07/136 in the 1/8 mile. I compete in 5.30 door car index class.

And I understand fuel racing rules NHRA and pays the bills. Fastest is best with the fans. NHRA should adopt radial versus the world but they are too high and taughty for that.

Kinda like in MMPS all those motors are Ford. Kaase and Sonny just re-drill the Ford head to fit the cheby block. Nothing is sacred anymore and the cheby engines are not really cheby, its all a one off with a GM assigned part number. The NHRA is sold out to GM.

• V10KLZZ71SV10KLZZ71S Senior Member

Same deal with hardly Davidson in nhra. Gm never made a hemi head, end of story

• Lawman177Lawman177 Junior Member

Mountain Motor Pro Stock is a great class. At least we can see three different makes be more competitive then the 500 inch class. Sadly NHRA does not want to make concessions for the Ford and Mopar brands to be competitive so they have decided to make it a Camaro Spec Class. This is their attempt to please GM. I am a Ford man. But the class needs diversity. A Mustang or a Mopar with a GM engine is just wrong. NHRA should just disband the class because it does not have any resemblance of what it started like and how competitive it was in the early days. Unlike the fuel classes where the Hemi design was superior for nitro racing, all normally aspirated engines can be competitive if NHRA wants them to be, which they dont. The bodies have evolved into what they are hideous just like the funny cars. NHRA can keep the bodies the same just make it a level playing field for all engine makes.

Sadly NHRA does not want to make concessions for the Ford and Mopar brands to be competitive

They never had ro make concessions for them. They could have just taken away the 10,500 rpm limit for everyone and the Dodges and Fords (with Dodge clone engines) would be competitive. V. Gaines and Aalan Jognson may still be around and Alan Pruinski and Charlie Westcott would have competitive power.

• Lawman177Lawman177 Junior Member

Hemi you are right about that. Just put them all on a even playing field.

Really, if you rgink about it, they gave Cheny concessions when they passed the RPM ru;e. And they gave Ford concessions when they allowed them to run the Dodge clone engine.

Without patent right violations, copying is still the greatest form of flattery. Remember, the Chrysler Hemi is just a copy of the early 1900’s Fiat hemi.

Im old and I just can’t remember, was it Henry Ford or the Dodge Brothers who invented the wheel? I know it wasn’t the wallpaper bow tie guy.

• b.guggenmosb.guggenmos Senior Member

Does anyone know if Charlie Westcott is currently doing anything with his Ford Pro Stock program? He used to post on Facebook occasionally but nothing in a very long time.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.