What are drag racing fans favorite bands? - Page 7

What are drag racing fans favorite bands?

Comments

• slugbelchslugbelch Senior Member
    edited November 2019

25 YEARS AGO TODAY and at their peak, Megadeth release their 6th album and it debuts at #4 on Billboard! 💪

A huge accomplishment considering they were in the middle of the grunge era and their previous album peaked at #2. Dave, and us, were better off when he was kicked out of Metallica.

Dave Mustaine: "It's been called a thrash album, it's been called a rock album, and it's even been called an alternative album. To me it can only be called a Megadeth album. That should be enough."

Performance was also in 1994 on David Letterman:

https://youtu.be/ZJKyMkiQwho

65 year old George Lynch’s new band Dirty Shirley debut tonight!

… with Dino Jelusick on vocals! 👍

George looks more like he could be Dino's grandfather rather than the 80's guitar god from Dokken.

edited November 2019

20 YEARS AGO TODAY Sebastian Bach strikes out on his own with his first solo album. After only three albums with Skid Row, one of the greatest vocalist in rock-n-roll hasn't, and will never, reunite with his former bandmates... the first heavy metal band to debut their album at #1 on Billboard. Sebastian: "You all have had seven f'n singers, maybe it's you."

He's a Tenor with around a 3+ Octave range that carried him onward to star in FOUR Broadway shows: "My voice really has a life of its own, and I kind of just have to get out of the way of it. I mean there are all these stories about me and celebrity and stuff, but all I try to do is put all of my effort into singing more than anything else, obviously. And the more you do it properly, the stronger your voice gets. My vocal style is called bel canto, which is an old Italian vocal style going back hundreds of years. It was extensively taught to me in New York and I've been doing it since 1987. It really helps get my voice going good, and after I sing through the scales I'll sing to some old Journey and some old Judas Priest. Rob Halford and Steve Perry hits the highest notes that I can hit, so once I can hit those notes, I know I'm ready to go. Oh yeah, man. I spend hours doing it. It's pretty much every day. I start an hour before a show, and the warm-up is 30 minutes; then I take 30 minutes after that and just let the voice bring brightness to it. I don’t sing for like a half an hour before I go on. I just get ready for the show and then when I hit the stage, it's ready to scream (laughs)."

Only 5 tracks were new material, everything else is live Skid Row hits (Which is what everybody wanted at the time anyway) and he absolutely kills it!

edited November 2019

45 YEARS AGO TODAY Thin Lizzy released their 4th album and the three-man Irish band added a second guitar player. A long-hair Californian, Scott Gorham, who would end up staying in the band, including its many Phil/Thin Lizzy tribute/reunion incarnations, long after their last album in 1983 and Phil's death in 1986.

2019 marks the year that the most underrated band in rock-n-roll history are nominated for the Rock-n-Roll Hall of Fame... FINALLY!

35 YEARS AGO TODAY when Triumph released their seventh album 'Thunder Seven', it was the time the Canadian trio went from opening act to headliners. They were at their peak with two previous platinum selling albums under their belt. Look no further than their near-headlining slot, behind only Van Halen and the Scorpions, at the historic US Festival in August 1983.

The stage was set for Triumph to extend their winning streak into 1984. But when this album didn't quite hit that level, it signaled an end of an era for the band. The group's sales hiccup was enough to convince the trio’s longtime record company, MCA, that the time had come to force the use of outside writers, who, in theory at least, would help the band produce a hit and modernize their sound.

Instead, on 1986’s Sport of Kings, this approach led to inconsistent songwriting, increased division within the group and the acceleration of a deteriorating environment that drove guitarist/singer Rik Emmett out of the band after 1987’s Surveillance album. In a way, Thunder Seven serves as Triumph’s last hurrah. 🤘

edited November 2019

30 YEARS AGO TODAY Whitesnake release their 8th album, reaching to #10 on Billboard, TWO Top 5 singles and FOUR Top 40 singles.

… and Steve Vai, the #4 guitar player of all time demonstrating his skills.

David Coverdale: "I was unfamiliar with Vai's work with Zappa or David Lee Roth, but when I had seen him in the 1986 film Crossroads, that impressed me."

• a21studa21stud Senior Member

I’ve normally stayed out of this thread but my guess for the best would be the Sonnax Alto Extra Wide Band for Powerglides. They are $218. from Jegs. 🙄

• V10KLZZ71SV10KLZZ71S Senior Member

One of the best jams ever

• alkysbcalkysbc Senior Member

Van Halen’s intro to “Hot for Teacher” sure reminds me of an old school fuel car at idle, so they make the list. Pantera, Prong, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Audioslave, AC⚡️DC, Soundgarden, ZZ Top, Rage Against the Machine, Run DMC, West Side Connection (Rahn Tobler agrees) Ice Cube, Hank Sr., Tennessee Ernie Ford, Lefty Frizzell, Jimmy Rogers, Hank Snow, Postmodern Jukebox, etc.

edited January 10

RIP NEIL PEART who passed away Tuesday in Santa Monica, Calif., after having been diagnosed with brain cancer. He was 67:

The virtuoso on Letterman doin' his thing:

For us old schoolers:

• WillyWilly Administrator
    edited January 12

Rush, 1980, Montreal. A song about man and machine by Neil Peart....

The short story that the song is based on. First Published in Road & Track, November 1973...

https://www.mgexp.com/article/nice-drive.html

• V10KLZZ71SV10KLZZ71S Senior Member

Growing up in New Orleans, I learned to love a lot of different music, but hardcore metal just ticks all the boxes for me....intense and full of energy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gILuUdY2cU

edited January 13

Canada’s Minister of Education Steven Lecce: “There are currently two cargo ships heading towards Vancouver carrying most of his kit. We expect to start breaking it down and dividing it across our 15,500 public schools, which should give each classroom at least three pieces of equipment each, with hundreds of cymbals left over. Thank you Mr. Peart, you will not be forgotten.”

Neal Peart’s Drum Set Donated to Supply Every Public School Music Department in Canada

By Daniel Magorrian | January 12, 2020

https://thehardtimes.net/music/neil-pearts-drum-set-donated-to-supply-every-public-school-music-department-in-canada/?fbclid=IwAR1yYHy5ZgPSM93kL9F5BXCmjUBT1tkyE7zeY3mi5yyFOI7eL2Mulr6qM3c

edited January 15

40 YEARS AGO yesterday, and the first rock-n-roll album of the 80's, Rush release their 7th album Permanent Waves that peaked at #5.

Neil Peart on making the albums centerpiece tune Jacobs Ladder: "We wanted to build a song around the phenomena called Jacob's Ladder, where the rays break through the clouds. I came up with a couple of short pieces of lyrics to set the musical parts up and we built it all musically trying to describe it cinematically, as if our music were a film. We have a luminous sky happening and the whole stormy, gloomy atmosphere, and all of a sudden these shafts of brilliance come bursting through and we try to create that musically."

Performance is from their very last concert August 1, 2015

RIP Neil Peart 1952 - 1/7/2020 ❤️

… btw, cheers to the guy yelling at the very end. Thank you indeed 🍻

• mgty3whlrmgty3whlr Senior Member
    edited January 19
    edited January 20

I love that after 36 years, he still throws a jab at not getting a sound check during the over 40 shows they opened up for Aerosmith in the 70's, LOL

edited February 8

Don Dokken recently on the CMS Radio Show: "It's been two and a half months since I had spine surgery, and my hands are dead. They don't move. It's very strange. It's an interesting way to live your life. You've gotta learn how to feed yourself, wipe your butt, brush your teeth, dress yourself. 20 minutes to put socks on. One of my hands works a little bit, but not very much.

Before they put me under, I said two things: 'Don't kill me. 'Don't paralyze me.' That's what I said. I swear to God. And he's, like, 'That's why you came to me. I'm the best.' So I wake up in the hospital, and I'm, like, 'How come my hands don't move?' 'How come my fingers don't move?' 'How come my hands are on fire?' 'How come I can barely walk? I'm on a walker. What the F did you do, man?' And he goes, 'Well, it happens sometimes.' I love it when surgeons go, 'Well, sh!t happens. It only happens in one of a thousand surgeries.' So I'm Mr. One Thousand, apparently. So, I am not happy about it."

Best of luck to you, Don. I love the songs you sing.

• HEMI_guyHEMI_guy Senior Member

You forgot this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQ9XcMybcX8

Dokken was the only big hair hair band I could tolerate.

That sucks for Don.

edited February 29

30 YEARS AGO TODAY the Grammy nominated album "Ah Via Musicom" was released, redefining rock guitar, from one of the top 10 best ever Eric Johnson.

15 months before the album is released, on Dec. 14 1988, he would appear on Austin City Limits and play the yet unheard of tune "Desert Rose" and "Cliffs of Dover".

"Cliffs of Dover" would later receive the Grammy for Best Instrumental in 1992, a full 2 YEARS after the albums release!

Cliffs of Dover on ACL:

Desert Rose on ACL:

40 years ago today Journey released their 6th album that would peak at #8

"Anyway You Want It" and "Stay Awhile" still get radio airplay, but Where Were You was my favorite.

… and to think that this guy almost gave up singing to be a turkey farmer. Can you imagine? Steve and Journey have definitely made this world a better place with their music. Thank you Steve for not choosing the turkeys!

edited March 7

20 YEARS AGO TODAY Disturbed was born!

Their 1st album was their most successful to date (4x platinum). Every album released after this one reaches to #1 on Billboard except for their 2018 release that reached to #4. Not a bad resume.

btw, "Stupify" is about a relationship singer David Draiman was in with a Latina girl. He said her family didn't approve of him because of his different ethnicity. I like this song more than ever now, lol

edited March 22

25 YEARS AGO TODAY this Grammy-nominated tune for Best Rock Instrumental Performance was contained in his 5th album's release, adding to his resume as the 4th greatest guitar player of all time!

• WillyWilly Administrator

Kenny Rogers, singer, songwriter, actor and record producer passed on March 20, 2020, while under hospice care at his home in Sandy Springs, Georgia.

Rogers, who began his recording career in the late 1950's, charted more than 120 hit singles across various music genres and topped the country and pop album charts for more than 200 individual weeks in the United States alone. He sold over 100 million records worldwide during his lifetime.

Rogers' first Top 10 hit was the Mickey Newberry written "Just Dropped In (To See What Condition My Condition Was In)", recorded in 1967 with the First Edition. It peaked at number 5 on the Billboard music charts, and got Rogers and his band its first national exposure on the Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour.

Kenny Rogers and The First Edition's second hit was the Mel Tillis written "Ruby, Don't Take Your Love to Town" . It climbed to number 6 in the Billboard Hot 100 in 1969....

RIP Gambler.....

^👍️

Here's Kenny pump-faking the great Michael Jordan.

The rest of the game is Jordan mauling everyone as you’d expect.

edited March 29

RIP Joe Diffie who passed away at 61 from Corona virus, two days after he was diagnosed.

Joe Diffie: "I played John Deere Green for my parents and my mom started crying. I said what's the matter? She's just cryin' and cryin'. I said what is it?

She said: "Nothing." I said well what's wrong momma? She said:" You're playin rock-n-roll!" LOL

… you gotta love momma's

... yep, I have some...

• a21studa21stud Senior Member
    edited March 30

When TopFuelatLions started this thread 4 years ago, I misread it and assumed he was asking “What are drag racer’s favorite band?”

Four years and 200+ posts later it’s still getting comments. I thought it wouldn’t get more than 2 or 3.

At that time more and more racers were embracing 1/8 mile racing, so I figured the simple answer for the most popular band would be the “low-reverse band”.

David Alan Cole made “The Perfect Country Song” famous in 1994.

“The Low & Reverse Band” would be the perfect name for a drag racing band today.

edited April 13

73 year young Dennis DeYoung and his special message and song to make us feel better. Not a better tune to hear right now:

I know you feel these are the worst of times

I do believe it's true

When people lock their doors and hide inside

Rumor has it it's the end of Paradise

But I know if the world turned upside down

Baby I know, You'll always be around

edited April 26

40 YEARS AGO, that's right old timers, 40 years this past week the two godfathers of heavy metal release very important albums in their careers.

April 14th was the release of Judas Priest's "British Steel" album and America took notice, plus the anthem of my high school years 😁

and yesterday, Black Sabbath's "Heaven and Hell" album was released and the debut of a new singer. His name? Why the greatest heavy metal singer of all time that's all! In just 2 albums, Ronnie James Dio not only saved the band from extinction, but also gave them new life.

The first tune they wrote together was "Children of the Sea". The performance below was from 2010 and at 67, dying of cancer, Dio would giving everything on stage... incredible! He would soon pass away on May 16th.

Dio: "Tony had this great riff he played me but nothing to go with it. I said, 'Gimme a minute' and went into the corner and started writing down the words."

Tony Iommi recalled the moment as a turning point in Black Sabbath's career, saying "It was exciting and challenging because we were doing things that quite frankly would have been beyond us with Ozzy. He wasn't that sort of singer. Dio put us on another level."

RIP bass singer Harold Reid who passed away Friday at 80 from a long battle with kidney failure.

Harold, along with his brother Don, founded the Statler Brothers in 1955. In 1996, after over 40 years on the music scene, a national Harris Poll ranked America's favorite singers. The Statler Brothers finished second only to Frank Sinatra, beating The Beatles, Michael Jackson, Whitney Houston and Garth Brooks, to name a few.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.