STUDEZILLA Lives!

STUDEZILLA Lives!

slugbelchslugbelch Senior Member
edited October 2017 in NHRA
May 10:

"NHRA Top Fuel racer Scott Palmer will be bringing a very unique brand of nitro racing to Jeffers Motorsports Park in Sikeston, MO when he’ll make test hits in a Studebaker that’s powered by a Top Fuel engine. It is the first time someone has put a legitimate modern Top Fuel hemi in a door car and give it a shot. The machine will be running at the Outlaw 440 event May 27-28th. What class will Palmer be running in? His own. No one has a class for this thing, let alone rules!"

2enxlaw.jpg

Unloading Friday:
"Sh!ts about to get real"

nmg6k6.jpg
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1132164566806155&set=a.447821818573770.97039.100000378686724&type=3&theater

It's debut last night:

VIDEO:
https://www.facebook.com/kennynowling/videos/1132201043469174/

"He clicked it at 200ft!"

soa2af.jpg
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1132214013467877&set=a.447821818573770.97039.100000378686724&type=3&theater

24x3ok2.jpg
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1132167223472556&set=a.447821818573770.97039.100000378686724&type=3&theater

Comments

• Yvonne*Yvonne* Super Moderator
    edited May 2016
    I believe that number is to the 440 not 1/8 mile. They shortened the finish line due to lack of shutdown.
  • slugbelchslugbelch Senior Member
    edited May 2016
    From Scott Palmer:

"I shut off at 200 ft , the time slip means nothing..... Someone else posted it , who cares...... The car is just for fun. I didn't post anything yet , I'm just glad it went over 10 ft , haha"

"We opened up clutch flows at .6.- 1. -1.15- and 1.3 .... Every time one opens it pulled harder and harder .... And stayed hooked up ..... Miracle , haha"

Kenny Nowling who posted the time slip:

Just an FYI, the time slip was posted for the historical significance of the run and nothing more. I am fortunate enough to have been at a drag strip for literally hundreds of the coolest most historic runs in history, however what Scott Palmer did last night in 200 feet at Jeffers Motorsports Park now sits firmly at the top of the list!!!
  • TwostepTwostep Senior Member
    edited May 2016
    Useless but exciting projects like this one get me plenty excited. I suppose he could compete in AA/FC with that thing and with the short fields of late, could wind up qualifying at quite a few races. That picture of him launching the car is cool as all hell....who cares what it ran....and knowing Palmer, he probably gave the throttle a good whack back in the pits.
  • HEMI_guyHEMI_guy Senior Member
    edited May 2016
    a21stud wrote: »
    Whats with the 594' time?

I was about to ask the same thing!

The RT makes me wonder if he had butterflies in his stomach or maybe common sense was about to prevail!

The title of the thread had me hoping the Canons were back!
  • dragzilladragzilla Senior Member
    edited May 2016
    I'll tell you what he is doing with that. BEING FREAKING AWESOME!!!
    edited May 2016
    HEMI_guy wrote: »
    I was about to ask the same thing!

Isn't that where the first MPH clock is placed on an 1/8 mile track? Still doesn't make sense...the time slip says ET, 2.95, not MPH.....and if Palmer shut off at 200 feet, there's no way he'd run 2.95@594 feet, anyway.
    edited May 2016
    LOL.. the 1/8th COASTING to 3.34 @117! Clicking off at 200' beat PDRA's Pro Extreme ET record by a stout margin!

Should be interesting if/when he can make a full 1/8th pass!
  • mmcc9000mmcc9000 Senior Member
    edited May 2016
    Looks like a 1953 Commander. Is that it?
  • de31168de31168 Senior Member
    edited May 2016
    a21stud wrote: »
    Whats with the 594' time?

Some tracks will give you the ET at every block down the track. The computer is recording that ET because it is the start of the 66 foot timed speed trap. I know that particular track was only setup for 440 foot length, but as an example: 660 foot is half track, 660-66= 594. That's the start of the speed trap. Some tracks will give you a 1,254 ET. Same principal, it is the start of the quarter mile speed trap.

The computer processes it instantly, but if you were to do the math.. 3.3431 - 2.9588 = 0.3843. That's to cover 66 feet per second so it has to be converted to miles per hour. You get a fraction of 237,600/2029.104. Divide the two numbers and vioala. 117.096018... miles per hour. Or, the time slip reading at 1/8 mph - 117.09 since it only displays 2 decimal points.
  • cow10r1cow10r1 Senior Member
    edited May 2016
    That's awesome ! I fell in love with that car a few years back when they came down to B.R., La. for a big Outlaw Promod race At State Capital Raceway. Think they where from Chicago. Nice bunch of people.

I even used the bug splat as a screen saver on my phone.
  • mgty3whlrmgty3whlr Senior Member
    edited May 2016
    Nice explanation... Thanks. Probably helped others that were confused scratching their heads with a permanent bald spot in the area where the finger contacted their head. Lol.
    edited May 2016
    oops. Links aren't working for me. Are they working for anyone else ?
    edited May 2016
    cow10r1 wrote: »
    That's awesome ! I fell in love with that car a few years back when they came down to B.R., La. for a big Outlaw Promod race At State Capital Raceway. Think they where from Chicago. Nice bunch of people.

I even used the bug splat as a screen saver on my phone.

edited May 2016
    Here's another Top Fuel doorslammer - circa early 1990s. It's a 1967 Camaro, no idea who's, running a 500 inch Hemi out of Scott Wise's top fuel car...with a big ol' Whipple sittin' on top of it.

I'm told they had the good sense not to try to run nitro through it, wisely using alcohol instead.

SEPT12267-vi_zpshgmnjosv.jpg
    edited May 2016
    cow10r1 wrote: »
    ... nope. Judging by the size of each attachment (157 bytes), looks like they never got uploaded.
    edited May 2016
    Twostep wrote: »
    I'm told they had the good sense not to try to run nitro through it, wisely using alcohol instead.

X2 In my opinion when you run nitro you've made the decision to stop racing door cars. The danger factor is extremely high and not just for the driver. Because this is by all accounts an exhibition car, I doubt it will ever be paired up with another Pro Mod unless the rumor is true that Snow is building one. I don't see that it would ever be allowed in open competition. If someone wants to spend the money its their choice but I sincerely hope nobody gets hurt.
    edited May 2016
    Yvonne* wrote: »
    X2 In my opinion when you run nitro you've made the decision to stop racing door cars. The danger factor is extremely high and not just for the driver. Because this is by all accounts an exhibition car, I doubt it will ever be paired up with another Pro Mod unless the rumor is true that Snow is building one. I don't see that it would ever be allowed in open competition. If someone wants to spend the money its their choice but I sincerely hope nobody gets hurt.

Just ask Bill Kuhlman.
    edited May 2016
    Besides with that Camaro, Who wants to do a tear down on that?
    No room in between rounds. That engine compartment looks too busy.
    edited May 2016
    Just ask Bill Kuhlman.

I shudder just hearing the words "nitro coupe".
    edited May 2016
    Did you see where Ashley was shooting the bottle and how far they were stretched to get the starter off? Awesome gritty video. Just watching it sitting there with that only light shining down on it while nitro fumes pollute the entire area was beautiful.

2jf0tvm.jpg
  • de31168de31168 Senior Member
    edited May 2016
    Here's another Top Fuel doorslammer - circa early 1990s. It's a 1967 Camaro, no idea who's, running a 500 inch Hemi out of Scott Wise's top fuel car...with a big ol' Whipple sittin' on top of it.

SEPT12267-vi_zpshgmnjosv.jpg

It looks like maybe a 67 GTX? Then again that stepped front bumper is throwing me off. One thing I can say for sure is that is no 1967 Camaro. Cool piece whatever it is.
    edited May 2016
    de31168 wrote: »
    It looks like maybe a 67 GTX? Then again that stepped front bumper is throwing me off. One thing I can say for sure is that is no 1967 Camaro. Cool piece whatever it is.

Thanks for mentioning that as I'm thinking it might be a mid 60's Plymouth or Dodge.
    edited May 2016
    Test test test
    edited May 2016
    Dangit. Guess i have to make then smaller
    edited June 2016
    Thanks for mentioning that as I'm thinking it might be a mid 60's Plymouth or Dodge.

I'm thinking you're right. What I copied said "1967 Camaro" and to be honest, I didn't look at the body that closely at first. But looking at it again, at the body line and around the windshield cowling, that's clearly what it is. A late 60s Mopar of some kind, possibly a GTX.
  • Eugene GrayEugene Gray Senior Member
    edited June 2016
    That was bad ass, Scott.:)
  • a21studa21stud Senior Member
    edited June 2016
    I'm thinking you're right. What I copied said "1967 Camaro" and to be honest, I didn't look at the body that closely at first. But looking at it again, at the body line and around the windshield cowling, that's clearly what it is. A late 60s Mopar of some kind, possibly a GTX.

Looks like a 66-67 Plymouth Satelite bumper.
    edited June 2016
    Now that I look at the body closer, It's not a Camaro. I just commented looking at the post. Still, It's gotta be tough to service.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.