Shocking F1 news

Shocking F1 news

RVT1000RVT1000 Senior Member
edited November 2018 in General discussion
http://en.f1i.com/news/83361-breaking-rosberg-retires-formula-one.html

Well I was blindsided!

This season was a great one, lots of ups and downs.

Maybe we'll see a new team dominating next season due to the changes in the cars?

Comments

• Yvonne*Yvonne* Super Moderator
    edited December 2016
    I saw that too. What a surprise!
  • WillyWilly Administrator
    edited December 2016
    RVT1000 wrote: »
    http://en.f1i.com/news/83361-breaking-rosberg-retires-formula-one.html

Well I was blindsided!

This season was a great one, lots of ups and downs.

Maybe we'll see a new team dominating next season due to the changes in the cars?

I wonder if this move means Hamilton will stay with Mercedes.....
  • RVT1000RVT1000 Senior Member
    edited December 2016
    Willy wrote: »
    I wonder if this move means Hamilton will stay with Mercedes.....

I thought he was staying a Mercedes, I had not heard anything on his contract coming to an end or him shopping around. But Nico was still under contract, too.

I have to wonder if Mercedes' dominance will continue under the new rules package. There were years of Ferrari dominance followed by the Red Bull years, all of which preceded the recent Mercedes monopoly.
  • slugbelchslugbelch Senior Member
    edited December 2016
    Nico Rosberg's only celebratory burnout as a F1 World Champion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50xrigsagks
    edited December 2016
    ... as if the champ resigning wasn't big enough news. Looks like F1 starting 2017 off with a bang:

Liberty Media shareholders to vote on proposed F1 buyout plans
    By Luke SmithDec 10, 2016, 8:30 AM EST

http://motorsports.nbcsports.com/2016/12/10/liberty-media-shareholders-to-vote-on-proposed-f1-buyout-plans/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs&yptr=yahoo
    edited December 2016
    "Liberty’s arrival in F1 has already resulted in the appointment of American businessman Chase Carey as the sport’s new chairman, with an expansion of interests in the United States expected to follow."

This is interesting. Although I don't know where they would expand to here in the US? After seeing the Austin venue I can't think of too many other places that could accommodate something of that magnitude.
    edited December 2016
    F1 technical rule changes for 2017 the biggest in 20 years
    By Luke Smith Dec 11, 2016, 9:37 AM EST

"As part of a bid to make F1 cars look more radical and gain multiple seconds per lap, the technical regulations have been overhauled for 2017, with a particular focus on tires and bodywork."

Article:
    http://motorsports.nbcsports.com/2016/12/11/key-f1-technical-rule-changes-for-2017-the-biggest-in-20-years/
    edited January 2017
    Liberty Media Reportedly Wants To Make Every F1 Race 'The Equivalent Of The Super Bowl'
    Alanis King 25 minutes ago

"According to the unnamed executive, that Super Bowl plan involves Liberty Media wanting to transform each of F1’s race weekends into weeklong events."

http://blackflag.jalopnik.com/liberty-media-reportedly-wants-to-make-every-f1-race-th-1790669947?rev=1483295755967&utm_campaign=socialflow_jalopnik_facebook&utm_source=jalopnik_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow
    edited January 2017
    Future of British GP at Silverstone in doubt following leaked BRDC letter
    By Luke SmithJan 7, 2017, 10:45 AM EST

"the Silverstone race is now at risk after John Grant, the chairman of the British Racing Drivers’ Club, wrote to its members regarding the “potentially ruinous cost” of persisting with the F1 race if it continued to make a loss. Part of Grant’s letter, which was published by ITV News earlier this week, stated that “even in a good year, the BGP [British GP] does not generate enough cash to cover its share of the site overheads”.

Should Silverstone stop hosting the race, it is difficult to see which other tracks in the UK could take over commitments for the British Grand Prix.

Full article:
    http://motorsports.nbcsports.com/2017/01/07/future-of-british-gp-at-silverstone-in-doubt-following-leaked-brdc-letter/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs&yptr=yahoo
    edited April 2017
    F1 engine meeting focuses on cost, sound ahead of 2021 changes
    By Luke Smith Apr 1, 2017, 8:30 AM EDT

As per an FIA statement issued on Saturday, there was “broad agreement for the future evolution of Formula 1 power units”, with the following areas being of particular focus:
    •A desire to maintain F1 as the pinnacle of motor sport technology, and as a laboratory for developing technology that is relevant to road cars.
    •Striving for future power units to be powerful, while becoming simpler and less costly to develop and produce.
    •Improving the sound of the power units
    •A desire to allow drivers to drive harder at all times.

FIA President Jean Todt has previously stressed that F1 would not be returning to V8 or V10 engines in the future, believing it would not accepted by manufacturers, but this meeting points towards positive steps being taken to find a compromise.

http://motorsports.nbcsports.com/2017/04/01/f1-engine-meeting-focuses-on-cost-sound-ahead-of-2021-changes/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs&yptr=yahoo
    edited April 2017
    I read that too. Its optimistic but not sure how you do both of these.....

"to be powerful, while becoming simpler and less costly"
    edited April 2017
    Ecclestone made us 'look like idiots' - Sepang boss
    Julian GUYER,AFP 21 hours ago
    This year will witness the last Malaysian Grand Prix for the foreseeable future, with the race disappearing from the calendar a year earlier than planned after a combination of low attendances and high fees, with the government spending some $67.6 million annually to stage a race is no longer something that Sepang International Circuit (SIC) officials and their political bosses could tolerate.

Full Article:
    https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/ecclestone-made-us-look-idiots-sepang-boss-135443037.html
    edited April 2017
    Bernie Economics 101.
  • HEMI_guyHEMI_guy Senior Member
    edited April 2017
    Yvonne* wrote: »
    I read that too. Its optimistic but not sure how you do both of these.....

"to be powerful, while becoming simpler and less costly"

You missed one...Improving the sound of the power units

The answer to all is...increasing the cubic inch displacement while lowering intate charge boost. Loweing boost will make the engines live longer. Increasig displacement will help make up for the lost boost and improve the sound of the "power units". I never followed the sport because of my dislke for their turbocharged chainsaw engines.
    edited May 2017
    HEMI_guy wrote: »
    You missed one...Improving the sound of the power units

The answer to all is...increasing the cubic inch displacement while lowering intate charge boost. Loweing boost will make the engines live longer. Increasig displacement will help make up for the lost boost and improve the sound of the "power units". I never followed the sport because of my dislke for their turbocharged chainsaw engines.

The regulations have gone through almost countless changes to the powerplants including a long period where turbo's were banned.

The current package (i.e. turbocharged-hybrid) is meant to more closely reflect technologies that can be brought to future street use.

Give them big-inch, normally aspirated motors and all they will do is spin them to the moon and shave every gram off every moving part until the hairy edge of reliability is reached. Just like now.
    edited July 2017
    It was too cute to resist!
    edited July 2017
    Qualifying:
    1. Ferrari
    2. Ferrari

Results:
    1. Ferrari
    2. Ferrari

BAM!

f1.jpg

f2.jpg
    edited August 2017
    Volkswagen Says Formula One Is 'On a Dangerous Path'
    By Caleb JacobsAugust 22, 2017

The mighty auto group explains why it chose Formula E instead.

http://www.thedrive.com/start-finish/13704/volkswagen-says-formula-one-is-on-a-dangerous-path
    edited November 2017
    It’s Official: Formula 1 Engines Will Become Louder, Simpler, and Cheaper in 2021
    By Caleb Jacobs October 31, 2017

"The 1.6-liter V-6 hybrid power units will soon rev to 18,000 rpm."

http://www.thedrive.com/start-finish/15637/its-official-formula-1-engines-will-become-louder-simpler-and-cheaper-in-2021
    edited November 2017
    I'm glad to hear it. Those power units have been nothing but a nightmare this season. Although I think the stupid rules involving grid-spot penalties and replacing drivetrain components is as much to blame.
    edited November 2017
    ... and then there's this today...

Why Ferrari Is Threatening To Leave Formula One
    Stef Schrader Today 9:59am

"Formula One’s new American owners Liberty Media have big plans for broadening the sport’s appeal, but Ferrari isn’t quite sure about where this is going, reports ESPN. Now Ferrari chairman and CEO Sergio Marchionne is threatening to quit if they change things too much and Ferrari doesn’t like it."

Article:
    https://blackflag.jalopnik.com/ferrari-threatens-to-leave-f1-if-a-bunch-of-americans-t-1820110656?utm_campaign=socialflow_jalopnik_facebook&utm_source=jalopnik_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

The silly season is in full swing already.
    edited November 2017
    slugbelch wrote: »
    ... and then there's this today...

Why Ferrari Is Threatening To Leave Formula One
    Stef Schrader Today 9:59am

"Formula One’s new American owners Liberty Media have big plans for broadening the sport’s appeal, but Ferrari isn’t quite sure about where this is going, reports ESPN. Now Ferrari chairman and CEO Sergio Marchionne is threatening to quit if they change things too much and Ferrari doesn’t like it."

Article:
    https://blackflag.jalopnik.com/ferrari-threatens-to-leave-f1-if-a-bunch-of-americans-t-1820110656?utm_campaign=socialflow_jalopnik_facebook&utm_source=jalopnik_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

The silly season is in full swing already.

Of course they're going to balk, they get the biggest share of the profits under the current format. I think this is one aspect that must change if they want to keep the series viable for smaller and new teams. The pay structure is a huge lose/lose for those people.
  • chop36@aol.comchop36@aol.com Senior Member
    edited November 2017
    Should we send Chad Head over there to straighten things out with Ferrari ? :)
    edited December 2017
    ampsa9.jpg
    Alfa Romeo will make a grand return for Formula 1 for the first time since 1985 in the next season, thanks to a new partnership with Sauber F1. The team will now be known as Alfa Romeo Sauber F1 Team and like most partnerships in the sport, the cooperation will be strategic, commercial and technological in nature.

Ferrari chairman Sergio Marchionne mentioned about the possibility of Alfa Romeo returning to Formula 1 some months back, in any case, the new partnership will only strengthen the bond between Sauber and Ferrari. Speaking about the new move, Marchionne added, “A storied marque that has helped make the history of this sport, Alfa Romeo will join other major automakers that participate in Formula 1. The brand itself will also benefit from the sharing of technology and strategic know-how with a partner of the Sauber F1 team’s undisputed experience.”

Alfa Romeo has a long history in Formula 1, they dominated the pre World War II era with the P2 and P3 and extended their support to Enzo Ferrari and his Scuderia Ferrari team. Nino Farina would then win the inaugural FIA World Championship Driver’s title in 1950 in an Alfa Romeo 158 while Juan Manuel Fangio repeated the same fate in a 159 in 1951. Alfa Romeo would then continue to supply engines to teams throughout the years.

For 2018, Charles Leclerc is expected to form the driver lineup for the new Alfa Romeo Sauber F1 Team, alongside Ericsson although Antonio Giovinazzi could also be part of the lineup as a replacement for Ericsson.
    http://gtspirit.com/2017/11/29/alfa-romeo-return-formula-1-32-year-absence/
    edited December 2017
    Wow, very interesting! ^^
  • Roger GatesRoger Gates Senior Member
    edited December 2017
    Another thing interesting is that F1 requires multiple car teams and there is a #1 team (driver) and a #2 team (driver) which pretty much means there will be team orders, but they have to pretend that it doesn't happen. It's kind of hard to understand the rational since it is blatant most of the time. In reality this looks like Alpha and Ferrari are basically one big team that can (will) share data and engineering to have an advantage.
    edited December 2017
    Another thing interesting is that F1 requires multiple car teams and there is a #1 team (driver) and a #2 team (driver) which pretty much means there will be team orders, but they have to pretend that it doesn't happen. It's kind of hard to understand the rational since it is blatant most of the time. In reality this looks like Alpha and Ferrari are basically one big team that can (will) share data and engineering to have an advantage.

If you were away from racing for 40 years and wanted to come back, that would be the smart way to do it. But you know who will get the lion's share of "team orders".
    edited March 2018
    "We sincerely hope that the issues that plagued the broadcast—a huge missing chunk of the pre-show, pervasive sound problems, commercials during key moments like race restarts, a poor handling of the Sky feed, and a lack of coverage of the Haas retirement—aren’t a preview of what’s to come."

ESPN's F1 Season Opener Broadcast Was A Catastrophe
    Patrick George 37 minutes ago

https://jalopnik.com/espns-f1-season-opener-broadcast-was-a-catastrophe-1824057087?rev=1521983120620&utm_campaign=socialflow_jalopnik_facebook&utm_source=jalopnik_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

Another typical ESPN auto racing production in the books.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.