Bloodhound LSR has begun! - Page 5

Bloodhound LSR has begun!

Comments

• slugbelchslugbelch Senior Member

The 200mph airbrake run completed, but too windy for the 550mph run. Done for the day.

edited November 2019

"The world's fastest aerodynamic laboratory"

edited November 2019

"Today we smashed our 600mph target speed with a 628mph / 1010kph and successfully completed our high speed test programme #2019HST 🤟🏼"

VIDEO:

https://www.facebook.com/BLOODHOUNDSSC/videos/401787754061981/

edited November 2019

Andy Green on Bloodhound: 'it's worse to drive than I hoped'

Time to geek out on yaw, static roll margins and why Bloodhound is mostly going sideways.

Ollie Marriage15 Nov 2019

Ollie Marriage: I took a picture on the pan earlier and it took me a second to realise what I was looking at – the wheel tracks weren’t even. In fact in one of them, Bloodhound is so far sideways, the front and rear wheels on one side are in line and there’s only three tracks through the desert.

Andy Green: I know the one you’re talking about. That was at about 350mph. Probably 90 degrees of steering lock and four degrees of yaw.

OM: I can’t even begin to compute… put it this way: has Bloodhound been as good to drive as you hoped?

AG: No, it’s actually been worse.

Full Article:

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/andy-green-bloodhound-its-worse-drive-i-hoped

• TwostepTwostep Senior Member

With air flowing around the rear fin at speeds of 200, 300 or whatever - that fin is there to provide directional stability - I'm surprised that a 10-15mph crosswind would have that much effect. 4 degrees of yaw at 'only' 350, enough so one of the front wheels and one of the rears was running in the same track?!? Not with me in it, it wouldn't....

I'm surprised they don't have provisions for small trim tabs, both vertical and horizontal (to control the roll they experienced), such as you'd find on an airplane, but obviously they have their reasons. I'd just hate to see Andy Green hurt or killed.

… and to think that was at 350. Can you imagine after getting out of the car, then continue to test at 400, then another days goal was 500, then yesterday 628. Yeah, to me, we're entering a scary zone. Then again, I'm not in the S. African desert. Just remodeling my bathroom with the heater on.

They did mention on one of the videos that a big lesson learned while they are there was the crosswind factor and that low to no wind is a must. Plus, the computers predicted this (except for crosswind factors) and that "instability" would greatly improve at higher speeds, especially when the rocket gets put and used in it.

edited November 2019

The 628mph run report:

RUN REPORT – RUN 34 (HST 13) – 16 NOV 19

18th November 2019

Aim

• Profile 8, 600 mph.

Set-up

• Track 3, Km 0.2.
    • 25C, 921 mb, sunny. Wind 1 o/c 3-6 mph.
    • Fuel full.

Run Details

• 0820 local. Red AST failed to start the engine. Green AST best start yet, 45 sec, total engine running 10 min.
    • Car positioning ideal close to the road, the ‘reverse turn’ onto the start line worked perfectly.
    • Cockpit dust greatly improved, with no build up on the canopy, with just a little drifting dust visible in the cockpit air.
    • Some vibration again felt through the suspension at around 500 mph, probably associated with surface texture changes near the causeway.
    • Good accel, 180 mph at the road and 500 mph at the causeway.
    • The Car handled well throughout, with minor drifting into the variable crosswind from the right, easily controlled.
    • Some jumps on the main speedo (subsequently tracked to the Fin GPS). Digital backups good and cross-checked. Lift at just over 600, peak cockpit indication 608 mph. Subsequent GPS download indicated 628 mph peak speed, 1010 km/h.
    • Chute at 590 mph, solid jolt as it deployed, good deceleration. Data indicates a minor ‘throttle bounce’ at this point, indicating a need for increased spring loading for future running.
    • Brakes on at 250 mph, 45 Bar. L brake 290C.
    • Stop at Km 14 (1.2 DTG), one km further than expected, due to increased peak speed.
    • AMAD peak 75C.

Summary

A successful 628 mph (1010 km/h) run and chute deployment. This run completes all of the HST objectives.

Procedural Points

• Comms:
    • Control radio (handset) failure, well diagnosed and resolved.
    • Remember to use (correct) callsigns.
    • ‘Reverse’ turn onto the start line gains another 2-300 m of track for high speed runs.

Technical Points

• Dust on the canopy is now mostly fixed, but a further check for evidence of dust ingress would be useful when the Car is stripped.
    • Main speedo GPS data needs to be refined to improve accuracy.
    • Increased throttle spring pressure/damping required.

As promised, the full 628mph pass and final day of testing!

edited November 2019

"Good morning from the Kalahari! We’re in pack-up mode. Desert wheels are coming off and rubber shod wheels are going on."

The race isn't over yet!

Video update:

Time to clean it up, wrap it up, and call it a day.

Just posted on their FB page:

edited December 2019

"The car is returning to the UK via sea freight and will arrive early January"

Video of Bloodhound LSR being lifted on the ship to take her home:

https://www.facebook.com/BLOODHOUNDSSC/videos/560886584736081/?v=560886584736081&notif_id=1575374577354319&notif_t=watch_follower_video

edited December 2019

Bloodhound LSR – back on the road to making history

4th December 2019

• High speed testing a huge success: 628 mph / 1,010 km/h achieved
    • Over 90% correlation between computer prediction models and real-world data
    • Sponsors line up to support the push to a new land speed record targeting 800 mph
    • New film and photos of the successful testing programme released, available here

The Bloodhound Land Speed Record team is in a celebratory mood, having successfully completed the crucial high speed testing phase of the programme, during which it notched eye-watering speeds of 628 mph / 1,010 km/h.

This places the Bloodhound LSR car, unofficially, as the sixth fastest car of all time.

The tests took place on the Hakskeenpan: a dry lakebed in the Kalahari Desert, South Africa. The alkali playa is some 20 km long, and to conduct the tests a 500 m by 16 km strip was cleared of stones and had twenty straight lines painted along its length, creating the desert ‘racetrack’ on which the Bloodhound LSR car was put through its paces.

Driven by Andy Green, the Bloodhound LSR car reached a maximum speed of 628 mph / 1,010 km/h from a standing start in 50 seconds. Going fast was not, however, the primary aim. The 12 run profiles were designed to develop the team, hone operational processes, deliver crucial data, and prepare the car for the record attempt within the next 18 months.

Bloodhound LSR owner Ian Warhurst said: “The global media interest around the high speed testing has really raised our profile and potential sponsors are getting in touch every day.

Our partners will have opportunities to get involved in the next exciting phase of the project, as we develop the monopropellant rocket and prepare the car for supersonic speeds.

“With the data we’ve generated from the high speed testing we’re able to start budgeting for the next phase of the project, which will need to be funded through sponsorship. We know it will require up to £10 million and the incredible social engagement with our high speed testing programme has proved that sponsors will see a return on investment and be a part of history.”

Recording data was a high-tech process. The Bloodhound LSR car is covered with 192 air pressure tappings, plus a multitude of strain gauges, temperature sensors and accelerometers. These provided data on the pressures and loads that the Bloodhound LSR car was under at high speed. The data from these sensors was reviewed following every run to check if they married up with the predicted computer generated CFD (Computational Fluid Dynamics) models and suspension loadings.

Swansea University’s Jack Townsend and Assistant Professor Ben Evans reviewed the data and found there was a correlation of over 90% between the predicted CFD model and the data generated – this was beyond expectations. Even the area where paint work was stripped from the underside of the car by transonic airflow was in the exact same spot as was predicted by the CFD.

This is highly encouraging as it means the predicted models are accurate and it gives great confidence in the aerodynamic shape of the car as speeds increase, as well as a genuine belief that a targeted new land speed record of 800 mph, or even faster, is possible.

Next steps

Even though the high speed testing was a resounding success, now the real work begins. The team is turning its attention to raising the vital budget necessary to move into the final phase of the programme: attempting a new world land speed record in 12 – 18 months’ time, back in South Africa.

The Bloodhound LSR car is currently in a shipping container, heading back to the UK by sea. When it arrives in early January, it’ll be returned to the workshop in the heart of SGS Berkeley Green University Technical College, Gloucestershire, where it’ll be reassembled into desert spec configuration.

In order to set a new world land speed record, the Bloodhound LSR team needs to fit a rocket on the car. Norwegian aerospace expert Nammo is developing a monopropellant rocket as part of the European Space Agency R&D programme, which will be the perfect fit for the Bloodhound LSR car, slotting easily into the vacant tunnel beneath the EJ200 jet engine. The new rocket will use concentrated hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) which, when passed through a catalyst, decomposes into H2O and oxygen, whilst generating the several tonnes of thrust needed to blast Bloodhound LSR into the record books.

Bloodhound LSR’s timeline to-date

18th December 2018             Ian Warhurst bought the project

21st March 2019                    Launch of the new project

9th July 2019                          High speed test programme announced

30th September 2019            Jet engine install and test fire

10th October 2019                 Bloodhound flown to South Africa

5th November 2019               100 mph shakedown test

6th November 2019               501 mph run

16th November 2019             628 mph run

edited December 2019

Bloodhound’s Ian Warhurst is Top Gear’s ‘Man of the Year’

6th December 2019

Yorkshireman Ian Warhurst, Bloodhound LSR CEO, this week received a prestigious Top Gear ‘Man of the Year’ award at a ceremony in London. The award was given in recognition of his rescue of the Bloodhound Land Speed Record car and the successful completion of high speed testing which saw the team reach a staggering 628 mph / 1,010 km/h.

Ian was joined by prize winners from Porsche, Bentley, Renault and Tesla as Top Gear recognized the usual best in class. Ian and driver Andy Green were ushered up on stage and grilled during a Q&A, receiving applause from the automotive industry leaders for their endeavors in the Kalahari Desert earlier this year.

Bloodhound LSR owner Ian Warhurst said: “What an honor to be recognized by the BBC Top Gear team. There had been too much world class engineering invested into Bloodhound over the years and the car was too special to see it cut up for scrap when the previous project came to an end. Now we’ve run it and demonstrated to the world just what it’s capable of, we’re seeking sponsors to help us move to the next phase and break some records!”

Next steps

Even though the high speed testing was a resounding success, now the real work begins.

The team is turning its attention to raising the vital budget necessary to move into the final phase of the program: attempting a new world land speed record in 12 – 18 months’ time, back in South Africa.

The Bloodhound LSR car is currently in a shipping container, heading back to the UK by sea. When it arrives in early January, it’ll be returned to the workshop in the heart of SGS Berkeley Green University Technical College, Gloucestershire, where it’ll be reassembled into desert spec configuration.

In order to set a new world land speed record, the Bloodhound LSR team needs to fit a rocket on the car. Norwegian aerospace expert Nammo is developing a monopropellant rocket as part of the European Space Agency R&D program, which will be the perfect fit for the Bloodhound LSR car, slotting easily into the vacant tunnel beneath the EJ200 jet engine.

The new rocket will use concentrated hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) which, when passed through a catalyst, decomposes into H2O and oxygen, whilst generating the several tonnes of thrust needed to blast Bloodhound LSR into the record books.

https://www.bloodhoundlsr.com/bloodhounds-ian-warhurst-is-top-gears-man-of-the-year/?fbclid=IwAR2leMTdPGr5UEcrRcGyjk3qk5Xz5xdnAK8Y-ory7S42JnuU3VgFT_5qqGI

• Yvonne*Yvonne* Super Moderator

Great read! Thanks for posting!

Meanwhile, on the Aussie Invader front:

Aussie Invader - World Land Speed Record Challenger

Dec. 2 at 8:22pm:

Thanks to Richard, Martin and the entire Hytube crew who have created this engineering masterpiece, our CPM (Common Propulsion Module) manifold. This will connect the series of oxidiser and fuel tanks together.

Dec. 5 at 4:43pm:

Our CPM manifold in our workshop ready to test mount to the bank of 7 propellant tanks.

Dec. 6 at 12:38pm:

Mounted the end plate and the CPM manifold to check length and outlet pipe hole sizes.

edited December 2019

Andy Green’s Diary – November 2019 (PART 1 of 2)

9th December 2019

We did it! 628 mph, 1,010 km/h. Bloodhound exceeded all our expectations by blasting past 600 mph and making it look easy.

However, just before we get carried away about how ‘easy’ this sport of straight-line racing is, we did have to work quite hard in November to get this amazing result.

Things started well enough with rapid progress up to 500 mph. As mentioned in last month’s diary, we were also getting on top of a couple of car handling problems. After our initial testing, it became clear that we didn’t want to run the car in crosswinds above 10 mph – fighting the steering at several hundred miles an hour convinced me of that quite quickly. 

The other key problem we solved was making the brake chutes fly steadily behind the car, rather than oscillating from side to side. This was key to being able to go faster safely. If the car needs to slow down quickly (see below…), the chutes are there to rescue it, so they need to make things better, not worse.

After hitting 501 mph in early November, we were hoping for a couple more quick runs up through 550 mph to 600+, to finish our high speed tests. It wasn’t going to be that easy. At the end of the 501 mph run, the ‘Fire’ caption had come on in the cockpit, indicating an engine bay overheat. Needless to say, I shut the engine down fairly quickly, just in case. Bloodhound’s rescue crews were alongside the car within seconds, confirming that there was no sign of fire.

The heat detection system around the engine uses something called ‘fire wire’, which changes its electrical properties (resistance and capacitance) when it gets hot. However, the electrical properties will also change if the fire wire gets slightly damaged. On close inspection, we found a small ‘kink’ in the wire that could well have set off the warning. The wire was fixed and tested, and we were ready to go again.

On the next high speed run a couple of days later, the ‘Fire’ caption came on again, accelerating through 470 mph. Within one second I had throttled back the engine, before deploying the brake chute, which flew rock-steady behind the car – this is the time when it needs to be working perfectly! Once again, no signs of fire, so we had to look deeper with a full strip down of the rear end of the car. More fire wire damage was found and sorted. The temperature stickers inside the engine bay also showed local overheating, requiring some simple modifications. This is all part of test-and-development engineering: it’s what this year’s high speed test session was all about.

After these minor interruptions, the car behaved perfectly. Four more runs were needed, 2 with the airbrakes deployed (which work better than expected – good news!) and 2 at high speed to complete the testing.

The final run was meant to hit just over 600 mph, but it didn’t quite work out like that. The calculated distance for the acceleration was just under 4.5 miles (7 km), so ‘Rescue 1’ was positioned at Km 7 to make a radio call as I went past, backing up the in-cockpit distance readout.

As I went blasting past the Km 7 mark, I heard the call from Rescue 1. The car was only doing 580 mph at this point. We had a small safety margin to play with, so I counted another 2 seconds, hit 600 mph and then throttled back. The engine took a fraction of a second longer than usual to wind down: Rolls-Royce had warned us it might do this at high speeds. Despite this, I only saw a peak speed of 608 mph in the cockpit. All good so far.

In fact, up to this point, the run had been pretty much perfect. You can see a compilation of the onboard footage in the video of our final run. To give you some idea of what I’m doing, here’s a breakdown of the run in 10-second chunks:

(PART 2 of 2):

• Zero seconds. RAF air traffic controller Jess Kinsman’s voice breaks through the noise of the jet engine: ‘Bloodhound, Control, Clear to Roll, Wind is Southerly 3 gusting 6 mph’. Brakes off, right foot pushing the throttle pedal forward to the detent for max. dry power. A small tweak of steering to straighten the car up, already doing 30 mph, check the engine is at max. dry, select max. reheat which lights almost immediately. The car is already doing 100 mph.
    • 10 seconds – 120 mph. The car is accelerating at full power, adding another 20 mph to the speed every second. The power from the EJ200 jet engine is just awesome. At just over half a mile from the start, the car hits the filled-in ruts of the ‘old’ road across the Pan, already doing 180 mph. The suspension soaks up the bump, the only one I’ll feel during the whole run thanks to the amazing work of the local population in preparing the world’s best high speed race track.
    • 20 seconds – 290 mph. Above 200 mph, the car starts to slide around more and more, as the high speed metal wheels begin to ‘plane’ over the hard mud surface. The light winds are enough to push the car around (you can see the movement in the video).
    • 30 seconds – 440 mph. I’m still working at the steering to keep the car straight. On the audio you can hear me reminding myself to go ‘Easy on the steering’ so I don’t risk making it worse. The car drifts right a little, as I let it yaw gently into the wind. 3 miles into the run, the car crosses the old ‘causeway’ road at 500 mph, with barely a blip of movement through the chassis.
    • 40 seconds – 550 mph. As the drag builds up, the acceleration slows down a little, but we’re still putting on 10 mph every second. I’m punching in steering inputs of up to 30 degrees each way, with much quicker movements needed at the higher speeds. The car gets to Km 7 showing 580 mph in the cockpit. I count another 2 seconds.
    • 50 seconds – 600 mph. The moment the needle touches the ‘6’ mark, I throttle back. The engine lag is noticeable. In my head I’m already running through the first steps of the emergency shutdown drill, just in case, when it starts to wind down less than one second later. As soon as the car settles at idle thrust, I reach down with my left hand to pull the lever for Chute 1. A short pause, then a ‘thump’ as the chute hits us with an extra 6 tonnes of drag. The speed falls off very quickly now: losing 100 mph takes less than 4 seconds.
    • 60 seconds – 420 mph. One minute after releasing the brakes, the car is slowing down through 400 mph. The steering is settling down, helped by the rock-steady performance of the brake chute, and I can follow the line very accurately from now on. The end of our 10-mile race track is now less than 3 miles away, but we’ll stop with plenty of distance to spare.
    • 70 seconds – 280 mph. As the car slows down to 250 mph, I get ready to ease the wheel brakes on with my left foot. Applying exactly 45 Bar of hydraulic pressure (that’s a fairly firm press on the brake pedal) will give us optimum brake performance. Let’s not forget that we’re still doing 250 mph though, in a 6-tonne car, so it’s going to take about 25 seconds to stop after I put the brakes on.
    • 80 seconds – 180 mph. Not much left to say. After driving at over 600 mph, it feels like I can get out and walk at this point…

After the car stopped, the data showed a peak speed of 628 mph, about 20 mph faster than I thought (and of course over 20 mph faster than I was aiming for). If I look a little perplexed in the video of the run, then that’s why. I assumed that the slightly slow engine wind-down had caused at least some of this difference, but a full 20 mph? That’s over 2 seconds of full-power acceleration at 600 mph. I couldn’t understand it.

A longer look at the data after we got back to our Tech Camp, plus reviewing the cockpit video frame-by-frame, gave me the answer. The GPS speedo had ‘jumped’ by 20 mph during the run, as one of the 3 onboard GPS feeds gave a poor signal (this is one of the reasons why the Land Speed Record is measured with external timing lights and not onboard GPS). It’s an unusual fault, but an easy one to fix with a software filter. Another ‘win’ for the high speed testing.

Despite the small GPS glitch on the last run, the end result was a fabulous one. We went out to South Africa hoping to get the car over 600 mph and, if there was enough performance left, to touch 1,000 km/h if we could. 628 mph, our peak speed, equates to 1,010 km/h – job done! A perfect end to a great high speed test session. As our Operations Director Stuart Edmondson says in the same video, ‘This car is absolutely ready for Land Speed Record speeds!’. Quite so.

Time to start talking about the rocket:

Beautiful shot of Bloodhound during the testing in S. Africa and also a great shot of the debris that was hitting those fairings that necessitated a beefing up of material in that area.

The next time this monster goes runnin' in 2021, it is going to be unbelievable!

(click on pic to enlarge):

Documentary times:

• FootbrakeFootbrake Senior Member

Thanks Slug!! I will have to record that!

edited December 2019

The Bloodhound Is Back, and Getting Ready to Set a New Land Speed Record

Project is pulling through after facing significant challenges

Motortrend

Angus MacKenzie Dec 19, 2019

"A little over a year ago Warhurst was wondering what he was going to do with the rest of his life. Having sold his turbocharger parts manufacturing business to an American corporation, he found himself at the age of 49 wealthy enough never to have to work again. But a WhatsApp message from his eldest son, Charlie, changed everything. "Hey Dad, have you seen that Bloodhound's getting sold? Why don't you buy it? Ha ha."

Full Article:

https://www.motortrend.com/news/bloodhound-getting-ready-set-new-land-speed-record/

• Yvonne*Yvonne* Super Moderator
    edited December 2019

Very interesting read! Thanks

Hope you don't mind if I share that link, Slug.

edited December 2019

There will be no land speed record attempt without sponsors, says Bloodhound owner

But Ian Warhurst reckons recent high speed testing should prove the return on investment.

Published 24 December 2019 By Will Dron

"… without new sponsors footing the bill for the development work and other associated costs, there’s “every chance” the team would not be returning to Hakskeen Pan.

“I’ve done what I’ve said I would do,” Ian Warhurst told us. “I had a pot of money that I said I’d spend. To be fair, we’re actually under budget at the minute, so it’s not cost as much as we thought it would do, which is good. That means there is a bit more in the pot still, to last a bit longer. But the money that I’m putting in won’t get us a land speed record. We always knew that and I’ve not changed my stance, not because I don’t want to, but more because I don’t think I need to.”

Warhurst said that the high speed testing not only proved the car is capable of achieving the speeds necessary to beat Thrust SSC’s record, but that the attention it received was sufficient to attract major sponsors.

“It was a really high stakes business gamble, but by doing high speed testing, we’ve got the social media stats that the sponsors need to see.”

Full article:

https://www.driving.co.uk/news/will-no-land-speed-record-attempt-without-sponsors-says-bloodhound-owner/?fbclid=IwAR2n7EknBzLbnxOSeP1Yl8dbS5t248NABGIPzqJM3FyFsd1CHrmRNZ6W3eY

The Bloodhoud BBC documentary:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.