Larry Dixon Rediscovers Passion for Drag Racing.... - Page 3

Larry Dixon Rediscovers Passion for Drag Racing....

Comments

• TwostepTwostep Senior Member
    edited November 2017
    There is no feel when warming after you launch in a T/F car. That said - you can believe that if it ever happens there will NOT be an Alan Johnson or Jimmy Prock tune up going on. You would likely have to furnish "Depends" to some of the customers.:eek:

Ha...yeah, I guess I should have said "little feel" as opposed to "BIG FEEL".
  • HEMI_guyHEMI_guy Senior Member
    edited November 2017
    Marc White wrote: »
    I would think the track rental cost for a closed test session between Indy and Edgewater is quite significant.

There's no way he made anything even close to full passes at Edgewater! I don't think T/A has even competed at the D3 divisional there for a few years now.
  • mossybackmossyback Senior Member
    edited November 2017
    One thing is certain, Larry Dixon is getting tons of good publicity! You can't buy this much media attention. :D
  • dragzilladragzilla Senior Member
    edited November 2017
    HEMI_guy wrote: »
    There's no way he made anything even close to full passes at Edgewater! I don't think T/A has even competed at the D3 divisional there for a few years now.
    Plus the track prep. Pros test and tune on bracket days. Dicero has had his injected nitro car at Lucas oil Raceway so much he barely draws attention. There were plenty of opportunities for him to test and have exposure on a killer track, he drove right by it.
  • chop36@aol.comchop36@aol.com Senior Member
    edited November 2017
    Sorry , if anyone pays 10 large to stare at the back of Larry Dixons helmet for four seconds ,you're an idiot . This is what makes scum bag lawyers mouth water . I'd rather throw them dice a couple times , instead of detaching my retina's . This is something you draw up on a napkin at the bar one night and in the morning you wake up and throw it in the trash . I apologize again , it's just the truth can sting a little . :eek:
    edited November 2017
    Sorry , if anyone pays 10 large to stare at the back of Larry Dixons helmet for four seconds ,you're an idiot . This is what make makes scum bag lawyers mouth water . I'd rather throw them dice a couple times instead of detaching my retina's . This is something you draw up on a napkin at the bar one night and in the morning you wake up and throw it in the trash . I apologize again , it's just the truth can sting a little . :eek:

Your posts are always so bright and uplifting.
  • bayouboy25bayouboy25 Senior Member
    edited November 2017
    Twostep:If lay people want the feel of a fuel dragster, how about letting them simply warm the car? That in itself would be a huge thrill, a whole lot cheaper, safer and still a good publicity event....let the CEO of Matco, or Monster Energy, or Papa John himself warm a fuel dragster, with the cameras rolling...

If I remember correctly, the rule book states that only a licensed driver can warm up a TF/FC.
  • Eugene GrayEugene Gray Senior Member
    edited November 2017
    bayouboy25 wrote: »
    If I remember correctly, the rule book states that only a licensed driver can warm up a TF/FC.
    Didn't Mr Jegs warm up a T/F car a while back? I doubt he still has a license. I know there is one team that has one of the crew guys warming up the car, and I have seen sponsors sit in cars while warming up. I know nostalgia cars do it all the time also.
  • Steve1724Steve1724 Member
    edited November 2017
    The rule book says "9:14 WARM-UPS It is mandatory that a driver be seated in the car in the normal driving position anytime the engine is running, unless coupler or driveline is removed from vehicle. The practice of transbrake testing, converter stalls, line-loc testing, and/or transmission warming is prohibited in all classes, in all areas of the event except in starting-line approach areas beyond staging, or unless vehicle is on jackstands. Noncompliance is grounds for disqualification or such other and/or action as deemed appropriate by NHRA." Hope this helps.
  • Tim CharletTim Charlet Senior Member
    edited November 2017
    Steve1724 wrote: »
    The rule book says "9:14 WARM-UPS It is mandatory that a driver be seated in the car in the normal driving position anytime the engine is running, unless coupler or driveline is removed from vehicle. The practice of transbrake testing, converter stalls, line-loc testing, and/or transmission warming is prohibited in all classes, in all areas of the event except in starting-line approach areas beyond staging, or unless vehicle is on jackstands. Noncompliance is grounds for disqualification or such other and/or action as deemed appropriate by NHRA." Hope this helps.

The term "Driver" in this case is an occupant inside the cockpit that can manually operate the controls. It does not imply or regulate that this 'driver' needs to be licensed.

Just to clarify this rule.
  • bayouboy25bayouboy25 Senior Member
    edited November 2017
    The term "Driver" in this case is an occupant inside the cockpit that can manually operate the controls. It does not imply or regulate that this 'driver' needs to be licensed.

While I believe you are correct, I doubt that would hold up in a courtroom if an incident were to occur (however unlikely that may be).
  • slugbelchslugbelch Senior Member
    edited November 2017
    The last part of that sentence can be implemented, then there's no need for a 2-seater. Just get one of his older cars and charge to be in it when they fire it up.

Hope the guy in the video realizes he'll be one of the very few to actually be on the track in it.
    edited November 2017
    HEMI_guy wrote: »
    Your posts are always so bright and uplifting.

Thank You for the compliment ! It's just that I see Larry Dixon as a world class nitro pilot not a desperate gimmicky side show huckster .
  • surfer121surfer121 Senior Member
    edited November 2017
    Which this tandem car is, Championships dont matter when a dragster crashes
  • JeffinNYJeffinNY Senior Member
    edited November 2017

There is also an exception in there for the vehicle being on jackstands. Also, Nitro Harleys are started before the rider gets on the bike.
    edited November 2017
    JeffinNY wrote: »
    There is also an exception in there for the vehicle being on jackstands.

Jackstands that are mechanically sucured to the car, I believe is included in the rule.
    edited November 2017
    Exhibition Vehicle Rulebook Supplement
    T
    WO
    -
    SEATER DRAGSTER RIDE ALONG PROGRAM

Program may only be offered by a legitimate drag racing school, as determined
    in the sole and absolute discretion of NHRA, with a
    minimum of 10 years
    instructional experience.
    Currently accepted two
    -
    seater programs: Frank
    Hawley’s Drag Racing School,
    Drag Racing Experience powered by Doug
    Foley
    and
    Roy Hill’s Drag Racing School.

Two
    -
    seater dragsters limited to single runs only

no
    side by side activity.

Quarter
    -
    mile performance limited to 8.50 ET or slower and 160 MPH maximum.

Two
    -
    seater dragster must meet current NHRA rules for 7.50 second of slower ET
    dragsters. Due to its unique configuration, each two
    -
    seater dragster must be
    individually inspected and accepted by NHRA prior to being permitted to run.
    Two
    -
    seater dragsters are further restricted to a maximum 520 cubic inch gasoline
    burning engine. Supercharger, turbocharger, methanol, nitrous oxide, or similar
    performance enh
    ancing modifications, fuels or additives, prohibited.

Passenger must wear same level of protective equipment as driver

at a
    minimum, SFI 3.2A/5 jacket and pants, SFI 3.3/1 gloves, neck collar, arm
    restraints, SFI 16.1 driver restraint system, and minimu
    m
    M2005
    or SFI
    /2
    helmet.

Minimum age of passenger 18.

Passengers must sign the appropriate Waiver and Liability Releases as required
    by the Liability Insurance carrier.

Passenger must be given written and verbal instruction prior to riding.
    Ori
    entation to include familiarization with driving equipment, explanation of how
    to release driver restraint system, and detailed explanation of waiver and release.

Passenger must be capable of exiting the vehicle unassisted.
  • Yvonne*Yvonne* Super Moderator
    edited November 2017
    Good info!! ^^^^

So there is in fact, existing rules for two-seaters. Somebody's got some 'splaining to do.....
    edited November 2017
    They have been around for a few years now, Surprised Murf went ahead and built it for Larry
    I think an exception was given to Gwynn on the last part of the rules about getting out un assisted
  • Tim CharletTim Charlet Senior Member
    edited November 2017
    Yvonne* wrote: »
    Good info!! ^^^^

So there is in fact, existing rules for two-seaters. Somebody's got some 'splaining to do.....

Quarter mile performance limited to 8.50 ET or slower and 160 MPH maximum. Two seater dragster must meet current NHRA rules for 7.50 second of slower ET dragsters. Due to its unique configuration, each two-seater dragster must be individually inspected and accepted by NHRA prior to being permitted to run. Two seater dragsters are further restricted to a maximum 520 cubic inch gasoline-burning engine. Supercharger, turbocharger, methanol, nitrous oxide, or similar performance enhancing modifications, fuels or additives, prohibited.

Maybe I missed it, but where is the section that has a standard for nitro-burning, a supercharged two-seater with performance standards MUCH quicker than 8.50 ET in the quarter mile????
  • Roger GatesRoger Gates Senior Member
    edited November 2017
    Quarter mile performance limited to 8.50 ET or slower and 160 MPH maximum. Two seater dragster must meet current NHRA rules for 7.50 second of slower ET dragsters. Due to its unique configuration, each two-seater dragster must be individually inspected and accepted by NHRA prior to being permitted to run. Two seater dragsters are further restricted to a maximum 520 cubic inch gasoline-burning engine. Supercharger, turbocharger, methanol, nitrous oxide, or similar performance enhancing modifications, fuels or additives, prohibited.

Maybe I missed it, but where is the section that has a standard for nitro-burning, a supercharged two-seater with performance standards MUCH quicker than 8.50 ET in the quarter mile????

Yep - This is why NHRA turned him down in the first place. It is like comparing a Burro to a Thoroughbred.
    edited November 2017

I think that's the point. There is no allowance for nitro, or any other power adder either for a two seater. For two people who knew better, they took a heck of a risk and now Dixon is paying for it. Exhibition or not, this car would set a precedence because there are likely others maybe not as skilled who may try it. Without a thorough tech guide example its a potential mine field.
    edited November 2017
    I said that on page 7
    I put a lot of blame On McKinney, being on the Chassis commitee, he new the rules and regs. but still went forward and built it and did not pull the sticker off.
    The track on a rental day prob does not have a "Gold" tech person on staff to go over the car as would at a NHRA race and no tech card to fill out either, and a quick once over by the track sees a sticker but does not check the date
  • WillyWilly Administrator
    edited December 2017
    Densmore gives his learned opinion on the matter of the ride-along top fueler....

http://competitionplus.com/drag-racing/editorials/dave-densmore-speaks-commentary-things-arent-always-they-seem
    edited December 2017
    Lawrence doesn't need the NHRA , he can scrape that bogus certification sticker off the cage and start booking customers. The one place in America the NHRA can't touch ( more isolated than the DPRK ) . The Street Outlaws ! Picture LD hauling screaming CEO's and Kardashians down those Oklahoma goat paths . Asking Peter permission is worthless , first he doesn't even know who LD is and second he's never seen a Top Fuel car except on a spreadsheet. Sorry LD , try again .......maybe .......lets see ......... Oh here's one : Drag Racing on the moon ! But ask Graham first . :rolleyes:
    edited June 2018
    word is that this past Sunday, The passenger in the 2 seater was injured after a blow-up with slight burns, nothing serious and the passenger is OK
    edited June 2018
    surfer121 wrote: »
    word is that this past Sunday, The passenger in the 2 seater was injured after a blow-up with slight burns, nothing serious and the passenger is OK

From the picture, looked like a bit of a fire.
  • slugbelchslugbelch Senior Member
    edited June 2018
    Yvonne* wrote: »
    From the picture, looked like a bit of a fire.
    .... link?
  • Z_WeinsteinZ_Weinstein Senior Member
    edited June 2018
    Dave did you see anything happen with the dragster, I believe you were there because you sent me a photo of the dragster last weekend?
    edited June 2018
    slugbelch wrote: »
    .... link?

Not sure if this is real or fake news?? But here's the picture:

36295899_852351078306143_6893316067905503232_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=9d87fe949b92a945499da4e5ed6338dc&oe=5BB533FD

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.