E town could be racing again

E town could be racing again

antdogbmxantdogbmx Senior Member
edited October 2018 in NHRA
This is from a track employee. and another source The deal to make it a used car lot LOL is not gonna go through, (counted chickens before they were hatched) now they have no option. But there is tension among the brothers and there are rumored buyers- of course Burton Smith is one of them. I was also told they went to the town and informed them that the track will re open for racing.

This is the kicker, they do not want to be an NHRA track, (old news) rather they want to host events like street outlaws racing and no prep. Not sure about this part, but I am about the first paragraph.

Comments

• de31168de31168 Senior Member
    edited June 2018
    antdogbmx wrote: »
    This is the kicker, they do not want to be an NHRA track, (old news) rather they want to host events like street outlaws racing and no prep. Not sure about this part, but I am about the first paragraph.

I thought that was very interesting when Alan said on the PA during the event that E-town called and said they didn't want us (NHRA) anymore and you guys jumped right in to have us.
  • HEMI_guyHEMI_guy Senior Member
    edited June 2018
    de31168 wrote: »
    I thought that was very interesting when Alan said on the PA during the event that E-town called and said they didn't want us (NHRA) anymore and you guys jumped right in to have us.

Well, he didn't lie.
  • Western FlyerWestern Flyer Senior Member
    edited June 2018
    Unless there have been major improvements at VMP, all that happened was they traded a dump for a dump.
  • racer12306racer12306 Senior Member
    edited June 2018
    Unless there have been major improvements at VMP, all that happened was they traded a dump for a dump.

I don't know much of anything about VMP or what was wrong or otherwise, but Franklin only bought it 8 months ago.
    Before the ink was even dry on the purchase agreement of VMP Franklin and his team started making improvements to the track. A brand new all-concrete surface has been installed from the starting line to the quarter-mile mark. The track’s drainage was also addressed to help eliminate the water seeping issues the track had in the past. The new surface was pressed into service right away with the Loose Rocker Promotions St. Patrick’s Classic that attracted a healthy car count.
    “We plan to do a lot of clean up and painting of the tower, bathrooms, along with general beautification of the property. Also, hopefully before the start of the season or shortly thereafter we will have new racetrack lighting. This is a lot for the first year, but we really want to make a statement that we are here to make this place a great facility. In the future, we will continue to improve the 60 acres of flat ground and 35 acres of asphalt as well. There will are plans to begin refurbishing the tower suites for the drag strip. We also want to expand the Hot Rod Grill and add additional seating to the Truck/Tractor/Mud venue,” Franklin says.

http://www.dragzine.com/news/franklin-family-brings-big-improvements-virginia-motorsports-park/
  • Eugene GrayEugene Gray Senior Member
    edited June 2018
    Awesome improvements and a great place to race with very excited fans.
  • StockerGTPStockerGTP Member
    edited June 2018

I'd rather be at a dump in Virginia than a dump in New Jersey.
  • Gen. DisarrayGen. Disarray Senior Member
    edited June 2018
    Englishtown a dump ? That's untrue. It's still A National Event capable Super Track facility. It needs upgrades , and I guess the junkyard was the easy way out . Remember the Napp's dumped NHRA , not the other way around .
  • mmcc9000mmcc9000 Senior Member
    edited June 2018
    StockerGTP wrote: »
    I'd rather be at a dump in Virginia than a dump in New Jersey.

Not me! - Don't stereotype. Just because there are many s***holes in NJ doesn't mean the whole state is one. Many beautiful parts of NJ and Old Bridge Raceway Park was a top notch venue. Never been to "Dimwiddie" but I'd wager ETown a big cut above.
  • rognelson77rognelson77 Member
    edited June 2018
    mmcc9000 wrote: »
    Not me! - Don't stereotype. Just because there are many s***holes in NJ doesn't mean the whole state is one. Many beautiful parts of NJ and Old Bridge Raceway Park was a top notch venue. Never been to "Dimwiddie" but I'd wager ETown a big cut above.

Actually Virginia has nicer facilities. Clean newer bathrooms, yes less grandstands but staging lanes nice as well as pit area, mostly paved.
    And the racing surface is smooth concrete for the full 1/4 mile.

And plenty of shutdown.
  • Western FlyerWestern Flyer Senior Member
    edited June 2018
    mmcc9000 wrote: »

The only thing Old Bridge Raceway Park would be a cut above is the crap the NHRA owns.
    edited October 2018
    Saturday spent the day at the E-Town swap meet . Gave myself some time to reminisce and say goodbye . The place is now calling itself a sports complex , but to me it looks like a business confused on what it wants to be . The track itself looks to be in great condition , but the rest of the facility appears to be getting a bit fragile . The insurance holding yard is down by the airport entrance , with maybe a couple of hundred cars all neatly aligned . The place is so big these cars are completely unnoticeable unless your looking . It's sad , l wish the Napps would have leased the track out to someone or to NHRA to keep it going . Before I left , I stood in the right lane where 30 years ago I lost in my first ever final to a Biondo (Sam) the picture still hangs in my shop today . I can now honestly believe this place is never coming back .
  • mmcc9000mmcc9000 Senior Member
    edited October 2018
    antdogbmx wrote: »

Well, if they're not going to host the NHRA Spring/Summer Nationals as in the past, ...who cares?
    edited October 2018
    If you race and live here you would care . Craigslist has even killed the swap meet scene.
  • rognelson77rognelson77 Member
    edited October 2018
    They just had what they call Ratchet Friday which is basically a car show music fest. $15.00 to get in and no payout. No drag racing insurance and no NHRA fees. No ambulance, no safety staff.

Why run a drag race when you make more money with a fanfest. Probably make more on concessions because you do not have toterhomes which bring all of their own food and beverage.

Not happy about it but that is business.

I make sure when I am at a drag race I buy stuff from track concessions to keep the tracks going.
  • KAR_RosscoeKAR_Rosscoe Senior Member
    edited October 2018
    If you race and live here you would care . Craigslist has even killed the swap meet scene.

Sad but very true!! They've been going down hill since Ebay.
  • slugbelchslugbelch Senior Member

A local posted on FB that word around town is they finally have a buyer who wants to keep it a race track, but we'll see.

Someone also said that Terry McMillan and a group of investors just bought Osceola Dragway and plans to upgrade the track.

• Unless E-town is sold or leased to drag racers it will never reopen as a drag strip . Hearing around here that , Maple Grove is close to being sold , with the new group adding a road course . Atco could be up for sale and Island Dragway is still without improvements since Garlits went 200 . That’s your NJ / PA track report .

• luxexpressluxexpress Senior Member

Good to hear that Maple Grove may be going to someone who likes racing. Heard some rumors to the contrary.

• Racn1320Racn1320 Senior Member

I hope maple goes tonsomeone that cares,doesnt seem that way now

edited November 2019

I live in the area and know past & present employees of (E-Town) and there seems to be quite a few family hands in the cookie jar. In fairness to the Napps , we as racers let them down by not supporting them as much as we could have . This area has 5 tracks within 2 hours and Cecil & Atco have a real good competitive bracket racing programs. The bracket racers around here are no joke . I was hoping early on that someone like the Biondo’s would lease it and get it promoted and running again . It really hurts, I had so many great memories there .

• slugbelchslugbelch Senior Member

King of Prussia company set to buy Maple Grove Raceway in Berks County

By Keith Smoker Reading Eagle correspondent 7 hrs ago

On Monday, the Brecknock Township supervisors learned that Motorsports Developers of King of Prussia has a contract to purchase Maple Grove Raceway.

Maple Grove was put on the market last year for $8 million amid declining revenue and growing infrastructure needs. The actual purchase price was not disclosed due to ongoing due diligence by Motorsports Developers, which has 90 days to complete required steps for the sale.

The grounds have been owned by the Stauffer family since 1923, when the site was used as a logging business. It later became a nationally recognized racetrack, officially opening in 1962.

Full Article:

https://www.readingeagle.com/news/king-of-prussia-company-set-to-buy-maple-grove-raceway/article_9c021c58-30cb-11ea-8c47-ef17439ca22e.html?fbclid=IwAR1EspuHPw-xURIVQ1bhPUoGudc05UITNmOnzuylFHHFRSAN4hmVziP3vY8

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.