Rumor: TF Crew Chief Making a Switch

Comments

• fleanosfleanos Junior Member
    edited October 2018
    I heard Grubnic to Doug Kalitta in the pits Friday
  • antdogbmxantdogbmx Senior Member
    edited October 2018
    I would not go back to connie, dave was not good enough to drive anymore. Me personally I would not go back unless they took clay with me.
  • slugbelchslugbelch Senior Member
    edited October 2018
    Clay's whole team. Clay isn't the only addition to the cc to make the car do what it did this year. In fact, Clay has been late on the lights and one can say holeshotted his chance to keep the championship tight all the way to Pomona.
  • BountyHunterBountyHunter Junior Member
    edited October 2018
    If I had to guess I would say Brian Husen is leaving with Alan Johnson to head up the Ashley Sanford TF car and you will see Jim O headed to JFR to replace him.
  • GolfRacerGolfRacer Senior Member
    edited October 2018
    Didn't hear anything about Grubby - if he goes to Kalitta I'd be surprised. But....?

I'd bet a small amount that Husen goes with AJ to the Sanford car

and

I would bet another small one that Mike Salinas uses some of his $$ to get a top "AJ friendly" CC.

Lastly....

Aaron Brooks is available and for a dragster team he's a real catch.

Well...really lastly....

what's the over / under on Tommy Delago lasting an entire 2019 with Cruz.
  • SWPMFANSWPMFAN Senior Member
    edited October 2018
    Grubby to Connie is my guess.

With the DSR dragsters have a sub par year for them, I would guess some new blood is coming in sooner than later.

• oddyhahnoddyhahn Senior Member
    edited October 2018
    Todd or mark Oswald
  • Paul SongasPaul Songas Senior Member
    edited October 2018
    I hope it's not Grubby, although the performance of that car I'm sure would have other teams at least offering.

I seem to remember reading the team was going through some pretty big changes with Doug Stringer and the ownership for 2019.
  • Racn1320Racn1320 Senior Member
    edited October 2018
    Id guess mike neff is going somewhere else
  • Western FlyerWestern Flyer Senior Member
    edited November 2018
    Millican getting treed and Grubnic smoking the tires on Sundays is about 50/50 I think.
  • Eugene GrayEugene Gray Senior Member
    edited November 2018
    Racn1320 wrote: »
    Id guess mike neff is going somewhere else

Why?
  • WillyWilly Administrator
    edited November 2018
  • SWPMFANSWPMFAN Senior Member
    edited November 2018
    "Currently, there has been no official statement regarding current crew chief Dave Grubnic's status for 2019."

Grubby going to Connie or DSR? I still think Connie, but would not be surprised if he goes to DSR.
  • WillyWilly Administrator
    edited November 2018
    SWPMFAN wrote: »
    "Currently, there has been no official statement regarding current crew chief Dave Grubnic's status for 2019."

Grubby going to Connie or DSR? I still think Connie, but would not be surprised if he goes to DSR.

Here is a little tidbit....

http://competitionplus.com/drag-racing/rumor-mill/rumor-mill-where-will-grubby-go
  • HEMI_guyHEMI_guy Senior Member
    edited November 2018
    IF Kloeber is going back with Clay, I would think it would be as a co-crewchief or Grubby has given notive that he's leaving. I sure can't see Grubby being fired to make way for Kloeber.
  • slugbelchslugbelch Senior Member
    edited November 2018
    HEMI_guy wrote: »
    I sure can't see Grubby being fired to make way for Kloeber.
    Me either. Clay's got a good gig going. Best year he's had. Numerous #1 qualifiers and was in the hunt for the championship not long ago. Would hate to break that up.
  • J. S. ClarkJ. S. Clark Member
    edited November 2018
    "If Kloeber is going back with Clay, I would think it would be as a co-crewchief or Grubby has given notice that he's leaving. I sure can't see Grubby being fired to make way for Kloeber."

I definitely agree. But the team statement said nothing about a co-crew chief situation. Why would Grubby give notice? Another team must have made him an offer he couldn't refuse. Because from the outside, that team seemed to have real good chemistry. The reason they have been in contention for the Championship this year is because of Grubnic. Capco has been a juggernaut, so the Millican Team has nothing to be disappointed about this season. I think this is a shame for these guys as I don't think Kloeber will be very effective since he's been out of the day-to-day crew chief deal for too long.
    edited November 2018
    " think this is a shame for these guys as I don't think Kloeber will be very effective since he's been out of the day-to-day crew chief deal for too long.

This is anout as far out as I go on discussing rumors. This will probably be my last post on this until we get more concrete information;

Indeed it would be a shame IF they split up.

Kloeber's abilities would to could depend on how active / knowledgeable Clay has been with the tune-up and on the contract / agreement Clay and Grubby have on the data that's been accumulated.

Here's a potential conspiracy theory to ponder..... was there any bad blood between Jim-O and Grubby? Maybe Conrad worked a deal with Grubby that Jim-O didn't like.

OK, I'm done.
  • alkysbcalkysbc Senior Member
    edited November 2018
    Millican getting treed and Grubnic smoking the tires on Sundays is about 50/50 I think.

What season did you watch? If you may recall, they put together a consecutive string of smoke free runs that only the Capco team bested. Looked to me like parts breakage and an empty trailer did more to end that string than tuning. Even after two very disappointing events, they are still second.
    edited November 2018
    edited November 2018
    Grubnic and Savage chose to leave Straightline Racing, prompting the hiring of Kloeber.

lol.... they were made offers (by Straightline) they chose to refuse?

I hope he ends up back at Kalitta.
  • JeffinNYJeffinNY Senior Member
    edited November 2018
    3 out of the 4 Kalitta cars definitely need help. Hope there's no grudges from Connie unceremoniously firing him as a driver in the middle of a race weekend.
    edited November 2018
    For the sake of Grubnic’s dignity, I hope he’s headed somewhere other than Kalitta. That being said, opportunities are limited in the world of Top Fuel. I hate to see this split, as they were definitely a David team among Goliaths, and it was impressive to see what they accomplished.
  • a21studa21stud Senior Member
    edited November 2018
    alkysbc wrote: »
    For the sake of Grubnic’s dignity, I hope he’s headed somewhere other than Kalitta. That being said, opportunities are limited in the world of Top Fuel. I hate to see this split, as they were definitely a David team among Goliaths, and it was impressive to see what they accomplished.

If Connie's check is large enough, dignity has nothing to do with it.

Besides, Connie would essentially be saying he was wrong to let Grubnic get away. :o
  • oliveroliver Senior Member
    edited November 2018
    lol.... they were made offers (by Straightline) they chose to refuse?

So you know Straightline made an offer for sure or you just speculating? Ever think he chose to jump ship because someone else made an offer?
    I hope he ends up back at Kalitta.

If so it won't help. Dougie's best chance passed when Tobler ankled.
  • ch3wedgech3wedge Member
    edited November 2018
    Keep an eye on someone who had a Matco toolbox heading to Texas.
    edited November 2018
    oliver wrote: »
    So you know Straightline made an offer for sure or you just speculating? Ever think he chose to jump ship because someone else made an offer?

If so it won't help. Dougie's best chance passed when Tobler ankled.

You don't think Stringer made a counter offer?

So only Tobler has the ability to tune Doug to a championship?
    edited November 2018
    ch3wedge wrote: »
    Keep an eye on someone who had a Matco toolbox heading to Texas.

My guess would be he's following that tool box.... in a Camry. Oh well.
  • Tim CharletTim Charlet Senior Member
    edited November 2018
    My guess would be he's following that tool box.... in a Camry. Oh well.

OK - this one has me TOTALLY lost...:confused::confused::confused:
  • notbeenracingnotbeenracing Senior Member
    edited November 2018
    OK - this one has me TOTALLY lost...:confused::confused::confused:

Me, thanks for being first.....

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.