Silly Season - 2019 Thread

Silly Season - 2019 Thread

Tim CharletTim Charlet Senior Member
edited November 2018 in NHRA
So, I've set up a thread specifically for silly season in recent years - but I've got a feeling tomorrow will kick off some news that will SHOCK many drag racing fans...so, let's get SILLY FOLKS!

*Please remember that RUMORS about sponsors and potential sponsors posted before they are officially announced can have SERIOUSLY NEGATIVE consequences. Use caution, please!!!

Comments

• Z_WeinsteinZ_Weinstein Senior Member
    edited November 2018
    Bobby Bennett had a semi cryptic post on facebook......is this announcement going to have long term effects in the NHRA?
  • SWPMFANSWPMFAN Senior Member
    edited November 2018
    On another site a guy that spoke to a WHP track official at the Vegas race said that Gila River told NHRA they do not want the Pro Testing and the Regional Event. Later in the blog someone said that Tucson will have a D7 race.

Any truth to the above?

If the pro testing is done at WHP, will it be at Vegas the week before Ponoma?
    edited November 2018
    SWPMFAN wrote: »
    On another site a guy that spoke to a WHP track official at the Vegas race said that Gila River told NHRA they do not want the Pro Testing and the Regional Event. Later in the blog someone said that Tucson will have a D7 race.

Any truth to the above?

They released the divisional schedule today, Tucson will have the divison 7 opener the week after the nationals, however Wild Horse will hold the second to last divisional in mid October. As far as not wanting to hold preseason testing or a divisional I imagine it comes down to not making enough money off the event but a way to solve it is do what Charlie Allen did and charge $20 a day to come watch, I always used the test to bring people for the first time and it was a great way to give them a taste of what a national event is like.
  • Tim CharletTim Charlet Senior Member
    edited November 2018

Any truth to the above?

Well, I can provide some clarity.

First off, today NHRA announced the Lucas Oil Drag Racing Series Schedule. While the first D-7 is in Tucson the first weekend in March (the week after the National Event at WHMP), WHMP will be hosting a Divisional race Oct. 11-13, 2019. So - that pretty much wipes out that "RUMOR.

So, I would wager good money that those rumors about WHMP demise have ZERO credibility.
    edited November 2018
    Bobby Bennett had a semi cryptic post on facebook......is this announcement going to have long term effects in the NHRA?

I believe it's an individual news story...not NHRA organizational wise.
    edited November 2018
    Thank you for the info Tim.

I don't see the nitro test on WHMP web site but I trust your info.

Bob Tasca said in an article about the new Ford Body that he would be testing it in Vegas before the Winters. Hopefully the teams do not split between PHX and Vegas.
    edited November 2018
    Thank you for the info Tim.

I don't see the nitro test on WHMP web site but I trust your info.

Bob Tasca said in an article about the new Ford Body that he would be testing it in Vegas before the Winters. Hopefully the teams do not split between PHX and Vegas.

The test session is a private test. Teams can test wherever they choose.
    edited November 2018
    The test session is a private test. Teams can test wherever they choose.

Is PHX going to be open to the public on Saturday like the last few years?
    edited November 2018
    Is PHX going to be open to the public on Saturday like the last few years?

I don't know what the plan is yet.
  • mrdouglasmrdouglas Member
    edited November 2018
    Has the "shocking" news broke yet?
    edited November 2018
    mrdouglas wrote: »
    Has the "shocking" news broke yet?

lol - yes... http://www.competitionplus.com/drag-racing/news/breaking-news-nhra-to-announce-18-race-schedule-for-2019

...it is BREAKING NEWS...and a very interesting story - not what I suspected though.
    edited November 2018
    Spoke with Stevie Fast after Rd1 in Vegas and asked him if he was racing the full NHRA schedule next year. He said if he can come up with the funding he will be back.

Did all the money go to the new 2 car turbo deal with Ricky?
  • Bill03EBill03E Senior Member
    edited November 2018
    Has anyone found out if Antron Brown is going to be driving the matco car or not? For some reason it seems like a move is happening there some way.
    edited November 2018
    For what it's worth I saw Ashley Sanford hanging inside the Alan Johnson trailer last night.....
  • rognelson77rognelson77 Member
    edited November 2018
    so with the season over is Grubby going to Team Torrence to tune Antron if antron moves over to Torrence. Where does that put Mark Oswald?

Since Hogan had some health issues is he stepping away and grubnic moving over to Steves car?

Any updates
    edited November 2018
    so with the season over is Grubby going to Team Torrence to tune Antron if antron moves over to Torrence. Where does that put Mark Oswald?

Since Hogan had some health issues is he stepping away and grubnic moving over to Steves car?

Any updates

Well, obviously in that scenario, Mark Oswald would be tuning a 1948 Topolino Altered in the new NHRA AA/FA class (which will race 1,320') - sponsored by In-N-Out Burger and driven by Dean Skuza...:cool:
  • J. S. ClarkJ. S. Clark Member
    edited November 2018
    Anyone in the know have any news about Gary Densham? I was surprised he was not at the Pomona Finals since he was at Las Vegas just 2 weeks ago. His car has not been up to it's usual decent performance this year but I was still looking forward to seeing him run this past weekend.
  • z28camaroz28camaro Senior Member
    edited November 2018
    Anyone in the know have any news about Gary Densham? I was surprised he was not at the Pomona Finals since he was at Las Vegas just 2 weeks ago. His car has not been up to it's usual decent performance this year but I was still looking forward to seeing him run this past weekend.
    His son Steve licensed in the car at Vegas. No news after that
  • HEMI_guyHEMI_guy Senior Member
    edited November 2018
    Well yesterday was disapointing.
  • Eugene GrayEugene Gray Senior Member
    edited November 2018
    HEMI_guy wrote: »
    Well yesterday was disapointing.
    Not for me...I got a well needed haircut, got to see a movie, and had a really nice dinner.:)
  • anotheridiotanotheridiot Senior Member
    edited November 2018
    z28camaro wrote: »
    His son Steve licensed in the car at Vegas. No news after that

Yeah, they posted that article from here that Gary said nobody wants a bald old fat guy representing them. I loved that.
  • Eugene GrayEugene Gray Senior Member
    edited November 2018
    I saw Kenny and Sheryl Bernstein hanging out with Roland Leong at Pomona...I wonder if Roland is going to tune Kenny in 2019.:eek:
  • FootbrakeFootbrake Senior Member
    edited November 2018
    I saw Kenny and Sheryl Bernstein hanging out with Roland Leong at Pomona...I wonder if Roland is going to tune Kenny in 2019.:eek:

That is a real possibility...
    I heard his stash of Budweiser ran out. :D
    edited November 2018

I do like the sound of a funny car named the Hawaiian King or they could be sponsored by Kings Hawaiian bread haha
    edited November 2018
    "Pro Mod sources tell the Agent that the NHRA has offered to host a 24-race program for the Pro Mod racers, but the Real Pro Mod association would have to fund the program 100% on their own."
  • anotheridiotanotheridiot Senior Member
    edited November 2018
    "Pro Mod sources tell the Agent that the NHRA has offered to host a 24-race program for the Pro Mod racers, but the Real Pro Mod association would have to fund the program 100% on their own."

That sounds like silly season, but I would not put it past the NHRA
  • HEMI_guyHEMI_guy Senior Member
    edited November 2018

LOL... funny! Why not make that offer to Pro Stock?
  • rognelson77rognelson77 Member
    edited November 2018
    Question, Do prostock teams have to PAy entry fee? Also, Crew event passes use to be $85.00 . So is that not like pay to play?
  • bayouboy25bayouboy25 Senior Member
    edited November 2018
    Was this the last year of Terry Chandler money for the Make A Wish and Infinite Hero cars?
  • a21studa21stud Senior Member
    edited November 2018
    HEMI_guy wrote: »
    LOL... funny! Why not make that offer to Pro Stock?

Because NHRA understands they are in the entertainment business first and foremost. NHRA is run by businessmen and their prime goal is to grow NHRA’s net profit every year. If they either sell more tickets at equal or higher prices than last year, or cut their costs of doing business to improve their bottom line or their high paying jobs are in jeopardy.

Track operators think that way or they eventually… go belly up. It’s easy to see what works and what doesn’t when it comes to increasing a track or sanctioning bodies bottom line. You watch what works for others and stay away from what doesn't work.

How may Pro Stock races has anyone but NHRA attempted to promote in the last 10 years? Less than 10 and closer to zero! (And NHRA's is just a side show for the nitro show.)

How many Pro Mod races has any independent track operator or alternative sanctioning body attempted to promote in the last 10 years? Too many to count! (Apparently there were two other major Pro Mod races promoted the same weekend as NHRA’s Final Pro Mod race at Vegas.)

Pro Mod is great entertainment for the vast masses of car enthusiasts. Pro Stock is entertainment for that narrow group focused on the minute details of an exotic mechanical marvel.

But this isn’t new at all and Mopar made the same decision as they are now 50 years ago. In 2010 Hotrod.com posted a tribute to Ronnie Sox and Buddy Martin after Ronnie Sox died. The part of the article that explains why the large factory money is letting Pro Stock die and FFS gets the $$$$ is in this section where Mopar's Racing Boss, Bob Cahill is quoted at the end:
    https://www.hotrod.com/articles/mopp-1010-ronnie-sox-and-buddy-martin-plymouth-drag-racing/

It was in 1965 when the Sox & Martin team made a brand switch-this time to Plymouth and their Hemi-powered altered wheelbase Belvedere. Banned by NHRA from running in Factory Experimental class racing, Sox & Martin took their “funny-looking car” match racing and built on the legend they’d already created, including the first-ever nine-second pass in a naturally-aspirated, full-bodied car. That happened at Pennsylvania’s York U.S. 30 Dragway, with their 426 Hemi running a Chrysler-designed, Hilborn-built fuel injection setup.

After taking the match-race scene by storm in 1965, 1966 wasn’t as successful on the track for the team. In 1966, they switched to a production-based body, Hemi-powered Barracuda, but the severely-dieted A-Body was no match for the tube-framed, fiberglass-bodied “funny cars” they came up against. Later that year, a decision in Highland Park changed what type of cars Sox & Martin would race from then on.

That executive decision by Ma Mopar’s racing boss, Bob Cahill, to support Sox & Martin in Stock and Super Stock racing (and to have them present Performance Clinics in the towns near where they raced) may have seemed like the wrong move at the time, but Plymouth’s racing brass was convinced that Sox & Martin would help them sell on Monday as long as they won on Sunday. Besides, as Cahill pointed out, Chrysler-Plymouth dealers weren’t selling many funny cars anyway.

It's 50 years later and the same can be said of all the Chrysler-Dodge and Ford dealers. They aren’t selling many Pro Stock cars either.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.