NHRA will Announce 18 Event PS Schedule for 2019

NHRA will Announce 18 Event PS Schedule for 2019

Comments

• slugbelchslugbelch Senior Member
    edited November 2018
    I like how you all put Bo's Halloween car as the first pic in the article. "Regular folk" who look at it must think what in the world are they using for their rear spoilers now-a-days.
  • a21studa21stud Senior Member
    edited November 2018
    slugbelch wrote: »
    I like how you all put Bo's Halloween car as the first pic in the article. "Regular folk" who look at it must think what in the world are they using for their rear spoilers now-a-days.

So...
    Those who know Bo...
    Are "irregular"? :rolleyes: :D

Are the races without Pro Stock either at NHRA's poorer performing events where they are cutting expenses or maybe at a track that has parking issues?

We will probably never know, but it would be interesting to know why they picked those tracks with and those without Pro Stock for 2019.
  • WillyWilly Administrator
    edited November 2018
    a21stud wrote: »
    We will probably never know, but it would be interesting to know why they picked those tracks with and those without Pro Stock for 2019.

Minimum number of entries, PM or FS on the card, and one track with two Nationals....
  • Racn1320Racn1320 Senior Member
    edited November 2018
    Guess im not going to bristol this year,thx alot nhra
  • de31168de31168 Senior Member
    edited November 2018
    It was rumored that you might have 8 car MMPS fields at the events similar to the Nitro Harley class at some non-PSM races.
  • SWPMFANSWPMFAN Senior Member
    edited November 2018
    "A source close to the situation told CompetitionPlus.com Pro Stock will not compete during the 2019 Mello Yello Drag Racing Series in Houston, the spring Charlotte event, Atlanta, Topeka, Bristol, or Epping."

5 of the 6 have PM. Some of them were going to be 8 car fields this year. The location of these races are favorable for the MMPS guys.

On a side note:

NHRA does not do much for us out west for new classes. PM once a year. Highly unlikely that MMPS will be raced out west. They did give us Nitro Harley but they are still bikes.

Never understood why NHRA never included a NFC class out west. There are a ton of NFC out west and west fans love nitro. They could have a 8 to 10 race NFC class out west that could include the March Meet and CHRR.
  • luxexpressluxexpress Senior Member
    edited November 2018
    de31168 wrote: »
    It was rumored that you might have 8 car MMPS fields at the events similar to the Nitro Harley class at some non-PSM races.

Makes sense with them mostly being east coast tracks - Epping and Bristol already have history with MMPS.
  • Tim CharletTim Charlet Senior Member
    edited November 2018
    SWPMFAN wrote: »
    Never understood why NHRA never included a NFC class out west. There are a ton of NFC out west and west fans love nitro. They could have a 8 to 10 race NFC class out west that could include the March Meet and CHRR.

Because they'd have to pay to book them in. Most of the 'exhibition' cars that show up are not paid or booked in - such as Jet Cars for example. An NHRA National Event is a big showcase for a car, so sometimes it makes sense for cars to show up to provide extra exposure for their sponsors.
  • SWPMFANSWPMFAN Senior Member
    edited November 2018
    Because they'd have to pay to book them in. Most of the 'exhibition' cars that show up are not paid or booked in - such as Jet Cars for example. An NHRA National Event is a big showcase for a car, so sometimes it makes sense for cars to show up to provide extra exposure for their sponsors.

Why would they have to pay them? It could be a sponspored class or pay to play class like PM.

There were 10 to 12 cars at the old IHRA Nitrojam. Big names too. One year there was a conflict with the March Meet and some of the big names went to the nitro Jam.

There would be far more NFC if NHRA did it. Now if the racers out west have any interest is another thing. Also, would fans gravitate more toward these FC than the modern ones?
  • Tim CharletTim Charlet Senior Member
    edited November 2018
    Why would they have to pay them? It could be a sponspored class, a pay to play class like PM or NHRA could throw some money at it.

There were 10 to 12 cars at the old IHRA Nitrojam. Big names too. One year there was a conflict with the March Meet and some of the big names went to the nitro Jam.,

There would be far more NFC if NHRA did it. Now if the racers out west have any interest is another thing. Also, woulld fans gravitate more toward these FC than the modern ones?

Sure - someone could sponsor a class like this - but again, someone has to PAY for these guys to show up. Nitro is expensive. I like the idea...
  • oldraceroldracer Member
    edited November 2018
    Only thing I see out of this is NHRA know's nothing about their fan base. Bristol, the south, home of the door cars, dah!!
  • Gen. DisarrayGen. Disarray Senior Member
    edited November 2018
    At the Non-Pro Stock races , when will the nitro fans have time to take a leak or buy a John Force keychain ? :rolleyes:
  • HEMI_guyHEMI_guy Senior Member
    edited November 2018
    slugbelch wrote: »

I'm no "Regular folk" and was wondering WTF do they think they're showing a a PRO STOCK CAR???????

Yes, apparently I never did see a pic of his Halloween car.
    edited November 2018
    You posted two posts past this one in the Las Vegas thread:

http://forum.competitionplus.com/showpost.php?p=216123&postcount=32

… like me, looks like a short memory too,l ol
  • DynoGrumpDynoGrump Senior Member
    edited November 2018
    At the Non-Pro Stock races , when will the nitro fans have time to take a leak or buy a John Force keychain ? :rolleyes:

during the many explosions and subsequent clean ups
  • twintownterrortwintownterror Senior Member
    edited November 2018
    Why would they have to pay them? It could be a sponspored class or pay to play class like PM.

There were 10 to 12 cars at the old IHRA Nitrojam. Big names too. One year there was a conflict with the March Meet and some of the big names went to the nitro Jam.

There would be far more NFC if NHRA did it. Now if the racers out west have any interest is another thing. Also, would fans gravitate more toward these FC than the modern ones?

The IHRA WAS booking in ‘paying’ for those NFC’s to be there. That whole show was just like the WWE. That’s why they showed up to their event and not Bako. NHRA NFC is dying. They’re all going outlaw NFC, buying used big show junk attempting a few outings on the tour, fuel altered, or running away.
  • anotheridiotanotheridiot Senior Member
    edited November 2018
    it took them 30 plus years to make the "stock" cars like stock with fuel injection, how long before they get to run turbo's?
  • rognelson77rognelson77 Member
    edited November 2018
    it took them 30 plus years to make the "stock" cars like stock with fuel injection, how long before they get to run turbo's?

I was thinking about this the other day. The only heads up n/a classes left in NHRA are Prostock and the Hemi Challenge.

The factory showdown cars are all boosted.

only 2019 Honda accord engine options are 4cyl turbo motors.

I would love to see Prostock bodied cars use OEM motors, Ecoboost v6 from ford pickup. New corvette overhead cam motor. Hellcat motor.
  • Stefan2k4Stefan2k4 Senior Member
    edited November 2018
    If Pro Stock is gone from the show at Bristol, does this means the Pro Mods will now get to park in the pro pit area? If so, this is great news! It means we won't have to walk as far to see the Pro Mods! Thanks NHRA! :D
  • Gen. DisarrayGen. Disarray Senior Member
    edited November 2018
    There only running one event a month early on in the season . Does this mean GA & EE will be getting part time jobs at McDonalds to supplement the lost NHRA income ? Or maybe they can collect unemployment ? Sorry someone had to ask . :rolleyes:
    edited November 2018
    There only running one event a month early on in the season . Does this mean GA & EE will be getting part time jobs at McDonalds to supplement the lost NHRA income ? Or maybe they can collect unemployment ? Sorry someone had to ask . :rolleyes:

Nevermind them, they'll be fine. What about the crews?
    edited November 2018
    I was thinking about this the other day. The only heads up n/a classes left in NHRA are Prostock and the Hemi Challenge.

The factory showdown cars are all boosted.

only 2019 Honda accord engine options are 4cyl turbo motors.

I would love to see Prostock bodied cars use OEM motors, Ecoboost v6 from ford pickup. New corvette overhead cam motor. Hellcat motor.

What would be the correct name? Pro Mod Lite !
    edited November 2018
    What would be the correct name? Pro Mod Lite !

Why? Factory is factory. P/S was only NA because the factory muscle cars were NA. Muscle cars aren't NA anymore, Stock = blowers and turbos. Same argument made for going to EFI from carbs (25+ years late).
    edited November 2018
    HEMI_guy wrote: »
    Why? Factory is factory. P/S was only NA because the factory muscle cars were NA. Muscle cars aren't NA anymore, Stock = blowers and turbos. Same argument made for going to EFI from carbs (25+ years late).

Ah... because the current Pro Stock bodies are nowhere near stock looking. It's easier to figure out what most Pro Mods are representing than Pro Stocks.

Don't like Pro Mod Lite? No problem...
    Funny Car Lite? This year it's: Pro Mods with Suction? (PMS)

When "any motor in any body... that didn't look like any body's body" didn't work, it's time to go with bodies that look like something that actually has a VIN#.
    edited November 2018
    0n the bodies I can agree. I thought your issue was with power adders.
  • WillyWilly Administrator
    edited November 2018
    NHRA made it official today.....

18 Race season for Pro Stock in 2019.

The following are out....

Houston
    Charlotte 1
    Atlanta
    Topeka
    Bristol
    Epping
    edited November 2018
    Column: Is NHRA Pro Stock in big trouble? Last 2 champs gone, 2019 schedule cut, costs keep going up
    Jerry Bonkowski, NBC Sports Sat, Nov 17 11:14 PM EST
    ...there are rumors that several other drivers may not be returning (or potentially at a reduced participation level) in 2019, making one wonder who will show up at Pomona and whether there will be enough drivers and cars for a full 16-car field. Admittedly, Pro Stock hasn’t had quite the popularity or allure it once had. Ever since Top Fuel and Funny Car became the so-called kings of the sport in the 1980s and 1990s and remain so today, Pro Stock has slowly faded.

That’s what makes the NHRA’s decision to cut the Pro Stock schedule by one-fourth next season so sad.

Article:
    https://www.yahoo.com/sports/column-nhra-pro-stock-big-023943244.html
  • jdm894gjdm894g Member
    edited November 2018
    Tears for pro stock. Bring in the V8 imports. Let Honda use their f1 engines. Toyota has a v8 that can be used.
    edited November 2018
    Column: Is NHRA Pro Stock in big trouble? Last 2 champs gone, 2019 schedule cut, costs keep going up

Quote:
    ...there are rumors that several other drivers may not be returning (or potentially at a reduced participation level) in 2019, making one wonder who will show up at Pomona and whether there will be enough drivers and cars for a full 16-car field. Admittedly, Pro Stock hasn’t had quite the popularity or allure it once had. Ever since Top Fuel and Funny Car became the so-called kings of the sport in the 1980s and 1990s and remain so today, Pro Stock has slowly faded.

Ahhhh... Top Fuel and Funny Car were the "so-called Kings of hte sport well before Pro Stock became a class. Top Fuel from the beginning and Funny Car started in 65 with tube frame/flip top Comets in 67-68 making all steel sheet metal cars obsolete in the F/X or Funny Car class by 1968.

Pro Stock became a class in 1970 and didn't fade at all until early 80's if then. I kind of think it was after the Dodge boy's scoop and shop breakin problems that the beginning of fan apathy starting... or the fans leaving their seats when Pro Stock ran. That begat the beginning of short fields and ultimately to where the class is today.

I know your tired of my stating this, but if the fans don't care, neither does the promoter. Promoter lives and dies with ticket sales plus easy track sponsorship money. Nitro ruled then, it rules now.
  • Mac4264Mac4264 Senior Member
    edited November 2018

Quote:

Ahhhh... Top Fuel and Funny Car were the "so-called Kings of hte sport well before Pro Stock became a class. Top Fuel from the beginning and Funny Car started in 65 with tube frame/flip top Comets in 67-68 making all steel sheet metal cars obsolete in the F/X or Funny Car class by 1968.

Pro Stock became a class in 1970 and didn't fade at all until early 80's if then. I kind of think it was after the Dodge boy's scoop and shop breakin problems that the beginning of fan apathy starting... or the fans leaving their seats when Pro Stock ran. That begat the beginning of short fields and ultimately to where the class is today.

I know your tired of my stating this, but if the fans don't care, neither does the promoter. Promoter lives and dies with ticket sales plus easy track sponsorship money. Nitro ruled then, it rules now.

And most know fuel racing is the head of the class. Been in this sport whole life and knew it. But you have your head in the sand if you think pro stock doesn’t have a following. Could a big part of the following be there to watch fuel cars first yup absolutely. I would say on an average 30% of the people leave the stands on Sunday morning when pro stock runs first round. But also have noticed it gets less as the day progress. So at the end of the day what’s your point other then you have some kind of hate for pro stock. Think you need to get over it.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.