2019 NHRA Fox Broadcast Schedule

2019 NHRA Fox Broadcast Schedule

de31168de31168 Senior Member
edited November 2018 in NHRA
https://www.nhra.com/news/2018/nhra-and-fox-sports-announce-2019-broadcast-schedule

Other big news is Brian Lohnes is taking over as lead announcer! Now if we can just get Tony Pedregon out of there too they might have something worth watching.

Comments

• Tim CharletTim Charlet Senior Member
    edited November 2018
    OUTSTANDING!!! :cool:
  • a21studa21stud Senior Member
    edited November 2018
    de31168 wrote: »
    https://www.nhra.com/news/2018/nhra-and-fox-sports-announce-2019-broadcast-schedule

Other big news is Brian Lohnes is taking over as lead announcer! Now if we can just get Tony Pedregon out of there too they might have something worth watching.

Awesome news! ...but then diluted with this:
    "In 2019, NHRA will experiment with new show formats including several broadcasts which will exclusively feature the Pro Stock and Pro Stock Motorcycle categories."

"Featuring" Pro Stock Bike?? And and also Pro Stock when the last two class champions plus other "prime time players" have moved on? Is this just to deflect any Pro Stock Truck type lawsuits if they finally do pull the plug on either one of those two classes?
  • de31168de31168 Senior Member
    edited November 2018
    Well it had been stated that potential Pro Stock sponsors have tuned in to a 3 hour show and saw 5 minutes of coverage of their class. Maybe the thought is it would be easier to sell sponsorship if they have dedicated shows to focus on their categories alone.
  • racer12306racer12306 Senior Member
    edited November 2018
    Guess it's not possible to take in some positive news. :confused:
  • mossybackmossyback Senior Member
    edited November 2018
    The "addition" of Brian Lohnes is great news and certainly an improvement, and will substantially enhance the quality of these broadcasts. Congratulations to Brian, and to FOX; for this wise decision. Brian's passion and enthusiasm for the sport is genuine and infectious!:)
  • GolfRacerGolfRacer Senior Member
    edited November 2018
    OUTSTANDING!!! :cool:

Outstanding...yes. Brian has a moderated voice - excited when necessary - and measured the other times. He's also technically savvy and as a race announcer he's easy to understand and has great timing.

Good move by NHRA.

Now all we need is Tony back out racing and replaced with Bruno.
  • ScottScott Senior Member
    edited November 2018
    So Reiff is out and Tony is still in? Is that what I just read in the press release? I was so excited that I may start watching again unless Tony is still in.
    edited November 2018
    Scott wrote: »
    So Reiff is out and Tony is still in? Is that what I just read in the press release? I was so excited that I may start watching again unless Tony is still in.

Tony is going to be working with Brian in the booth. Give them a chance...
  • Martel_22Martel_22 Member
    edited November 2018
    My wife and I are both excited for this. Rieff's fake drama sucks so bad. If it weren't for the fake emotion, he wouldn't be nearly so bad

Plus Brian is pretty dang good. I used to love watching him and BangShift Chad doing preseason testing at Palm Beach
  • ScottScott Senior Member
    edited November 2018
    Tony is going to be working with Brian in the booth. Give them a chance...

Tony had his chance, he isn't good.
  • Warren EvansWarren Evans Junior Member
    edited November 2018
    Let me just say that I had the opportunity to live stream the pro test session from Indy before the US Nationals in 2017. Tony joined me and did color commentary and I think he did a great job. Very relaxed, comfortable, and knowledgeable. After that, I was convinced that Tony's struggles were chemistry more than anything else. I've been around Brian enough to know he can bring out Tony's strengths in a different way than Dave did, and I would expect you'll see a better side of Tony next year. Just my opinion...
  • HEMI_guyHEMI_guy Senior Member
    edited November 2018
    Tony never bothered me nearly as much as Reiff. Great move. Long overdue but a great move.
  • oddyhahnoddyhahn Senior Member
    edited November 2018
    Tony needs to get back in the seat, forget the booth. Don’t care for him in the booth. Bring back Dunn.
    edited November 2018
    Let me just say that I had the opportunity to live stream the pro test session from Indy before the US Nationals in 2017. Tony joined me and did color commentary and I think he did a great job. Very relaxed, comfortable, and knowledgeable. After that, I was convinced that Tony's struggles were chemistry more than anything else. I've been around Brian enough to know he can bring out Tony's strengths in a different way than Dave did, and I would expect you'll see a better side of Tony next year. Just my opinion...

^^^ What Warren said^^^

A lot of people assume that doing color commentary is an easy, no-big-deal type of operation - that it's two individuals as opposed to a team. This applies to all sports or activities. It really has a LOT to do with chemistry and interaction with each other. Brian is one of those guys that makes others look REAL GOOD - and that's not a knock on Brian - it's a statement of fact.
  • a21studa21stud Senior Member
    edited November 2018
    ^^^ What Warren said^^^

A lot of people assume that doing color commentary is an easy, no-big-deal type of operation - that it's two individuals as opposed to a team. This applies to all sports or activities. It really has a LOT to do with chemistry and interaction with each other. Brian is one of those guys that makes others look REAL GOOD - and that's not a knock on Brian - it's a statement of fact.

What Warren and Tim said!!

Brian L knows the in's and out's of ALL of the NHRA classes including their history and not just the Nitro show for Tony and ??? for Dave.

Dave Rieff seems like a nice guy but the TV booth isn't his naturally strong skill set. I hope he can use the experience to find a great job that hits his skill set sweet spot.

I may be good working with my hands but you wouldn't want me to do brain surgery. (Left over parts issues...?)

2019 will see an improvement in the booth.
    Cool!
  • twintownterrortwintownterror Senior Member
    edited November 2018
    As I am super happy for Brian. IMO all they did big picture is ruin AllAccess. GET RID OF T PED.
  • Yvonne*Yvonne* Super Moderator
    edited November 2018
    Congrats to Brian!
  • shaketown daveshaketown dave Senior Member
    edited November 2018
    really great that bullcrap rieff is gone.i may even watch some races next year
  • luxexpressluxexpress Senior Member
    edited November 2018
    good move tho I'll miss him on All Access. He and Alan are as entertaining as the racing sometimes.
  • HEMI_guyHEMI_guy Senior Member
    edited November 2018
    speaking of him, should we expect the red fonted poster to chime in?
  • 64spyder64spyder Senior Member
    edited November 2018
    luxexpress wrote: »
    good move tho I'll miss him on All Access. He and Alan are as entertaining as the racing sometimes.

so will I.. just maybe he could do all access when not doing fox broadcast ..
  • ReinhartReinhart Member
    edited November 2018
    HEMI_guy wrote: »
    speaking of him, should we expect the red fonted poster to chime in?

If you insist, I wish Dave the best in whatever comes next for him. I'm thrilled for Brian getting the chance. I'll miss him on the stadium announcing side. Anything else I need to add?

Alan
  • Gen. DisarrayGen. Disarray Senior Member
    edited November 2018
    Q. How do you make a 300 mph car look slow ? .....anyone ??? A. Easy put it on TV . The broadcast stinks , the production stinks and the technology looks like old WW2 footage , it all stinks ! Don't ever watch NHRA on TV with anyone who's never seen it live , they can't grasp it . Good luck Brian , watch what you wish for , you can't fool the audience anymore .
  • bjenk44bjenk44 Member
    edited November 2018
    Reinhart wrote: »
    If you insist, I wish Dave the best in whatever comes next for him. I'm thrilled for Brian getting the chance. I'll miss him on the stadium announcing side. Anything else I need to add?

Alan

Much classier than the NHRA press release, not thanking or recognizing Dave for the 20+ years he spent covering the sport. I worked with Rieff for a few years back in the ESPN days and he was a class act. Everyone that worked with him wishes him well!!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.