Rumor: Past Racer/Team owner looking to return?

Rumor: Past Racer/Team owner looking to return?

Comments

• agroff383agroff383 Member
    edited November 2018
    Bernstein or maybe Cory Mac?
  • alkysbcalkysbc Senior Member
    edited November 2018
    Dean Skuza? Maybe thats more wishful thinking than anything, but it is silly season.
  • Yvonne*Yvonne* Super Moderator
    edited November 2018
    "...the fact Steve Torrence not only won a championship, but also dominated with "store bought" parts. In other words, these were parts he didn't have to manufacture in-house."

Maybe but he also has a whole other complete car/team that came in pretty handy in a lot of ways. I don't think "in house" parts matter. I think having no shortage of cash to buy parts, ANY parts is what really matters. LOL
  • StockerGTPStockerGTP Member
    edited November 2018
    Eugene already "confirmed" this in another post, ;)

I saw Kenny and Sheryl Bernstein hanging out with Roland Leong at Pomona ...I wonder if Roland is going to tune Kenny in 2019.
  • fleanosfleanos Junior Member
    edited November 2018
    Joe Amato? He was at the last couple of races.
  • FootbrakeFootbrake Senior Member
    edited November 2018
    1st one that came to mind for me was Jeb Allen.
    He did do a 1 race sponsorship this year at Sonoma with Leah and DSR.
    edited November 2018
    Hmmm... now that I think about it some more, I wonder what Eddie Hill has been floating around lately...
  • T.SmithT.Smith Senior Member
    edited November 2018
    Yvonne* wrote: »
    "...the fact Steve Torrence not only won a championship, but also dominated with "store bought" parts. In other words, these were parts he didn't have to manufacture in-house."

Maybe but he also has a whole other complete car/team that came in pretty handy in a lot of ways. I don't think "in house" parts matter. I think having no shortage of cash to buy parts, ANY parts is what really matters. LOL

If it's who I think it is, the inablity to develope "in house" parts to race for championships was one the reasons he left the sport. Now those "in house" parts and better "store bought" parts can be purchased. That's a much different business model.
  • oddyhahnoddyhahn Senior Member
    edited November 2018
    Brandon Bernstein or hot rod fuller.
    edited November 2018
    T.Smith wrote: »
    If it's who I think it is, the inablity to develope "in house" parts to race for championships was one the reasons he left the sport. Now those "in house" parts and better "store bought" parts can be purchased. That's a much different business model.
    Bill Miller?
  • Z_WeinsteinZ_Weinstein Senior Member
    edited November 2018
    One guy who comes to mind even though he wasnt a car owner is Rod Fuller, I remember reading an article and him saying that someday he wanted to make a comeback if the right opportunity came along.

Jerry Toliver was another guy that comes to mind.

As alkysbc mentioned it could be awesome to see Dean Skuza make a comeback he would bring some color back into drag racing.
  • T.SmithT.Smith Senior Member
    edited November 2018
    Footbrake wrote: »
    Bill Miller?

Bill Miller is still racing.
  • gainesfangainesfan Member
    edited November 2018
    Not going to be Kenny or Amato. At Pomona Kenny indicated he would come back if someone was willing to throw $5M at him and the team had a real chance to win. He didn't just want a ride. Can't see Amato due to the eye surgery he had from kis TF days. Both have been around the races lately as part of the NHRA Legends appearances.
  • Gen. DisarrayGen. Disarray Senior Member
    edited November 2018
    Let's see , could it be Evan Knoll running a team from the slammer ? :eek:
  • hemingrhemingr Junior Member
    edited November 2018
    “Store bought” parts. Hopefully the hints point toward Amato who made his living in the auto parts wholesale business.
  • Tim CharletTim Charlet Senior Member
    edited November 2018
    gainesfan wrote: »
    Can't see Amato due to the eye surgery he had from his TF days.

I don't think the "rumor" assumes this "returning legend" would be driving...but returning as an owner. If the funding were there to support his efforts, I could definitely see Joe Cool returning as an owner with an up-and-coming driver behind the wheel.

I'd also fully endorse a SNAKE STRIKES BACK tour...:cool:
  • ChiliChili Junior Member
    edited November 2018
    My first thought was Amato. He has a daughter that wants to drive and either has or will be attending the Frank Hawley driving school soon.
    edited November 2018
    T.Smith wrote: »
    Bill Miller is still racing.

I remembered that a little later... :o
  • J. S. ClarkJ. S. Clark Member
    edited November 2018
    It's always fun to speculate on these rumors. I would think it would be someone who could race out of his own pocket without having to go shopping for sponsor. Obviously Johnny Grey could, but he just got out of it 5 minutes ago, so he isn't jumping back in so soon. Bernstein and Amato could probably do it, and maybe Jeb Allen could, but not the Snake. But I can't see Bernstein or Amato getting back into it - even if just for selected races. Those guys are enjoying life way too much without going back to that grind. And what do they have left to prove? If Amato Jr. wants to race, I'm sure Dad could easily get her a seat with some family sponsorship money without Joe starting his own team again.
  • GolfRacerGolfRacer Senior Member
    edited November 2018
    I spoke with Joe Amato....he said "no way".....been and done.

Brandon wasn't a team owner - he is employed by AJ.

OK, I'll throw in my wild speculation: Prudhomme.
  • Eugene GrayEugene Gray Senior Member
    edited November 2018
    StockerGTP wrote: »
    Eugene already "confirmed" this in another post, ;)

I saw Kenny and Sheryl Bernstein hanging out with Roland Leong at Pomona ...I wonder if Roland is going to tune Kenny in 2019.
    Sometimes my imagination can be a little over the top...but that would be an awesome team.:)
  • slugbelchslugbelch Senior Member
    edited November 2018
    From Kenny's interview in Feb.:
    “People ask if I would go back and do it today, and I say, ‘Give me $5 million and I’ll be back out there tomorrow,’ he says, before adding with a big laugh, “if Sheryl (his wife) didn’t kill me first.”

http://forum.competitionplus.com/showpost.php?p=208752&postcount=93
  • luxexpressluxexpress Senior Member
    edited November 2018
    Lucas? They just closed up their boat series so have a little more time and money. :confused:
  • Roger GatesRoger Gates Senior Member
    edited November 2018
    luxexpress wrote: »
    Lucas? They just closed up their boat series so have a little more time and money. :confused:

This sounds closer to reality. The rumor is that it is someone who still has equipment, and by the way there is a chassis mfg. in house with a really talented guy running it. Not sure about Aaron Brooks, but he is available and only left when they stopped running. Maybe not, but unless everything got sold there are a lot of signs that this could be a fairly easy deal. Don't think that funding has ever been a problem.
  • anotheridiotanotheridiot Senior Member
    edited November 2018
    Alan Johnson, Cory Mac and Gary Scelzi
    edited November 2018
    GolfRacer wrote: »
    OK, I'll throw in my wild speculation: Prudhomme.

X2 Prudhomme. Then he can put Dixon back in the seat as well. Now that would be a game changer.
  • mgty3whlrmgty3whlr Senior Member
    edited November 2018
    X2 Prudhomme. Then he can put Dixon back in the seat as well. Now that would be a game changer.

From what I understand, Dixon and Prudhomme aren't on talking terms.
    edited November 2018
    mgty3whlr wrote: »
    From what I understand, Dixon and Prudhomme aren't on talking terms.

If true, that's a bummer.
  • Z_WeinsteinZ_Weinstein Senior Member
    edited November 2018
    If true, that's a bummer.

Dixon mentioned in his Legends interview with Bobby that he hasn't been on speaking terms with Snake since he left. I know that can happen in the business world but it's still sad after 20 years it can end like that. Hopefully they can mend the friendship before it is too late.
  • J. S. ClarkJ. S. Clark Member
    edited November 2018
    And it was the Snake that had some sort of issue and chose to not be on good terms, according to the Dixon interview.

Regarding the thread topic, I agree with recent posts that Lucus makes some sense, but they are not a "Blast from the past" but more like a blast from just a few years ago.

And as noted, these legends are all in their mid-70's. I think it would be someone in their 60's or so.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.