NHRA Funny Car

NHRA Funny Car

Yvonne*Yvonne* Super Moderator

Its kind of a bummer that there aren't any female drivers in this class currently. Just wanted to note that..... :(

Comments

• Sure is.

• Racn1320Racn1320 Senior Member

Pretty sure the Force girls arent coming back (

• z28camaroz28camaro Senior Member

Melanie needs to comeback

• RVT1000RVT1000 Senior Member

Drivers are just drivers to me, why does it matter? Marketing opportunities?

• SWPMFANSWPMFAN Senior Member

Didn't EE and some the PSM women say just call us racers? Not the fastest woman or the woman with the most wins.

• Yvonne*Yvonne* Super Moderator

RVT, you bring up marketing opportunities like its a bad thing. Right now, women make up 85% and/or 2/3rds of the consumer purchasing decisions according to several reports. I think its a demographic that can't be overlooked in a sport that is entirely cash dependent.

Personally, I enjoy seeing some diversity and people BOTH male and female pursuing their goals in motorsports.

• RVT1000RVT1000 Senior Member

I'm not sure how you extract a negative out of two words.

But I also feel that women will never be treated as equals as long as we keep pointing out they're women. Drivers are just drivers unless someone is special.

Wasn't that the beauty of this sport...that, once the helmet went on, it didn't matter if a man or woman was driving?

So female fans can't recognize a good product unless a woman is driving the car that sponsors it?

edited June 28

I don't know a lot of men who don't want to be known as a man so why should women be asked to deny themselves? That's not equality, that's something entirely different. What I'm saying is that both should be acknowledged for their accomplishments should they achieve great things. Yes, drivers should be acknowledged as drivers regardless. However, try to understand it from a different perspective. For the casual female fan, there is a relativeness (is that a word?) to seeing their own gender competing. That's all.. No big political agenda in my comment that started this thread. I mourn the lack of several drivers in this class, both male and female.

I think where women go wrong in seeking equality is attempting to be swimsuit models along with whatever sport goals they have. This is a problem in all sports, not just racing. I would argue that putting on a helmet does not make anybody an equal, male or female. Your accomplishments and stick-to-it-ness are what will make you an equal in time.

• slugbelchslugbelch Senior Member
    edited June 29

In 5 years, we'll have the first woman to walk on the moon. 👩‍🚀🚀

... but, the agency won't be able to meet a 2024 deadline to land astronauts on the moon unless Congress approves an additional $1.6 billion in next year's budget.

NASA administrator Jim Bridenstine Thursday: "It takes this off the table. Without the extra funding, "we're going back to looking at 2028."

It was the NASA chief's strongest statement to date that the fate of a lunar return five years from now depends almost entirely on congressional action in the coming months.

• Eugene GrayEugene Gray Senior Member

It's been a few years since I have watched monster trucks but when I turned the tv on last night they were on so I watched about 10 minutes of it and I saw probably 5 or 6 women competing. I think there may have been more women then men. I wouldn't mind seeing some more women crew chiefs like Shelly Anderson.

• HEMI_guyHEMI_guy Senior Member
    edited June 29

It's been a few years since I have watched monster trucks but when I turned the tv on last night they were on so I watched about 10 minutes of it and I saw probably 5 or 6 women competing. I think there may have been more women then men.

Pam Vatters was driving the "Boogie Van in '93. http://www.menstuff.org/archives/vaters.html

My friend has helped train more than a couple of women drivers, probably;y including some you saw on TV.

I think it would be fantastic to see that Slug, if it happens. :)

X2 on a few more women CC's too.

• oddyhahnoddyhahn Senior Member

Get Melanie Salemi in a seat

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.