Factory Stock Showdown 32 Car Field at Indy

Factory Stock Showdown 32 Car Field at Indy

dragracingfan1dragracingfan1 Senior Member

Last Friday at Norwalk, just before Q2 for the Factory Stock Showdown, the announcement was made that there will be a 32 car field at Indy. I immediately stood up and cheered. This will be my 13th straight Indy and, with that announcement, it just may be my best yet.

Comments

• HEMI_guyHEMI_guy Senior Member

Stick a fork in PS.

• WillyWilly Administrator
    edited June 26

Fantastic decision!

I'll wager 50 cars show up to qualify, and I'll speculate that some name newcomers to the category show up......

• speedshiftspeedshift Junior Member

The new Pro Stock

• SWPMFANSWPMFAN Senior Member

Back in the late 80s when dad and I were at Indy, we were talking to Jerry Eckman. My dad said to Jerry that's PS should have a 32 car field. His answer was we are not Super Gas. We are a professional class.

Part of the excitement of PM and FSS is qualifying. I just hope that is not lost with a 32 car field.

FSS cars are way cool but not for a pro class as currently configured. Also, is Dodge ever going to make a new drag pack or is the 2015 the last one ever?

FSS cars are way cool but not for a pro class as currently configured. Also, is Dodge ever going to make a new drag pack or is the 2015 the last one ever?

Don't know if it's true or not but I've been told Ford has killed the Cobra Jet program.

• oldraceroldracer Member

"Also, is Dodge ever going to make a new drag pack or is the 2015 the last one ever?"

Was just wondering the same thing. If factory stock is the new rage, why is Dodge just sitting back and resting on past achievments like they do with the Hemi Challenge? Do they just like doing one decent design and just sit back and wait for everyone else to carry the banner for them?Essentially FSS is just a Chevy / Ford deal now. How long before it becomes Camaro Stock?

edited July 1

They don't really need too come out with a new Drag Pak car to run the latest/greatest hardware when NHRA rules don't require the cars to have actual Drag Pak, CJ or COPO VIN's. The Current Challenger body/platform/carcas is the same as the 2015's (or 09 through current for that matter) and they can, and are, equipping them no different than they would a 2020 Drag Pak. They'd have to do a total redisign of the car and create a whole new engine for a 2022 to really be any different than the 2015 they're currently running.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.