Billy Torrence Wins in Sonoma

Comments

• TwostepTwostep Senior Member
    edited July 30

Gotta give credit to a team that races straight up. Torrence's old man just knocked his own kid out of Western Swing contention and denied him an event win....and that team wouldn't have it any other way. Dad's kind of quiet and a little emotional; I like the guy - but I'll admit I was rooting for Millican.

Anybody catch Old Man Force singing? LOL

• a21studa21stud Senior Member

Or... they could be working to get Billy T into the countdown too. Currently he is #12 with 610 points and only 31 points behind Prock and McMillen who are tied at #9 with 641 points each. If Billy T gets in that means one less Countdown car for Steve T to deal with. Billy can block with or without making the countdown which is just a very ill conceived NHRA Countdown procedure*. Billy getting more laps at this point helps deprive other teams points and helps his ability to block come the 6 Countdown races. Losing to dad in the final didn't deprive Steve T of nearly as many points as losing in 1st round would have. With a 500 point lead, he will be #1 come Tuesday after Indy even if he loses 1st round for the next 3 races (yeah, right..).

*Regarding the NHRA allowing non-countdown cars to race and have the option to either lay down for or take out a Countdown car in 1st round: Can you imagine if the NFL allowed the non-qualified playoff teams to be seeded in the playoffs so all teams played? Would it be fair at all if a few more missed calls allowed a non-playoff team to upset a better team? Or worse yet, if the #1 ranked team had their quarterback roughed up or seriously injured the game before a "real" game by a team that couldn't beat them?

This year in NHRA... Can you imagine the issue of "payback" if Jim Head's car just accidently took out Robt. Hight's car in race 1 of the Countdown! The Countdown should only have Countdown cars on one side of the ladder and whatever two Countdown cars that qualify in the bottom half should race with the non-Countdown cars and shouldn't get any Countdown points. That would eliminate any potential of gamesmanship while making qualifying during the Countdown even more important. Being the #9 or #10 Countdown qualifier for a race means you can't even get first round loser points. (But you would get round money$.) Saturday qualifying would be fun to watch but an ulcer maker for the 7-10 qualified cars when Q4 rolls around.

• racer12306racer12306 Senior Member

If the Torrence's are throwing races, they need to give themselves a little more fudge room because their MOVs are pretty close.

• a21studa21stud Senior Member

Good point, I should have said they don't have to care who wins and who is runner up as they win either way for the reasons I stated above. More for family bragging rites at the dinner table when you're that strong. My beef is with the non-Countdown cars included in the Countdown car eliminations during the Countdown.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.