nitro tuning

nitro tuning

Newbie here

I would like some clarification from some of the seasoned Nitro tuners please

This year I began to crew on a heritage series funny car that is very competitive, I have spent many years in the 80's and 90's tuning an TAD,but quickly have noticed that the two are VERY different. Here is the scenario, Generally we burn the ground straps on the spark plugs to a nub on a good run (mid to low 5.60's on occasion into the 50's @ 250+mph), have had on two occasions where the ground strap is 100% intact on a given cylinder and have absolutely Murdered the piston ( torching the top of the rod thru the side of the piston) ,I am beginning to think that we might be having an oil control issue, possibly detonation? also have seen a cylinder or two show EGT's very near 2000 deg. with those same cylinder's spark plugs having complete ground straps after a run.

Would appreciate any insight!

Thx in advance Kevin

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.