What is your ideal national event category lineup?

What is your ideal national event category lineup?

TopFuel@LionsTopFuel@Lions Senior Member

What are your preferred national event classes?

TopFuel@Lions

Comments

• mossybackmossyback Senior Member
    edited August 12

In this order : TF, FC, Pro Mod, TAFC, TAD, TF Harley, Pro Stock, FSS, Comp, TD, TS, MMPS, PSM, SStock, Stock ....no .90 classes should ever be at a national event. The .90 class of cars confuse and annoy the spectators, and I believe they are an embarrassment to the sport. I realize they are a revenue stream and it takes a special skill set in order to compete, but they are a substantial detriment to the quality of the "show".

• HEMI_guyHEMI_guy Senior Member
    edited August 12

I'm cool with any order but I'd love to see P/S and the .90 classes lined up back to back.

when I'm at the track as a spectator, I'd never get to roam the pits w/out the .90 classes and P/S.

• DynoGrumpDynoGrump Senior Member

all classes that include 'all out' racing, meaning no break out, dial in's , throttle stops, dumping or sandbagging of any kind !! .... i'll call it the 'Wide open Nationals'

• slugbelchslugbelch Senior Member
    edited August 13

TF (and bikes), FC, PS, PSB, PST, PM, Nostalgia TF and FC 1/4 mile, Jets, Specials (Studezilla, Dixon, Garlits, wheelstanders, etc).

Sportsman all day Sat.

Plenty of time between rounds to get free stuff in the pits/midway and unload it in the car and fire up the hibachi grill.

• a21studa21stud Senior Member

Thursday/Friday: All Sportsman Classes except PM, T/F Harley run their qualifying and eliminations down to their Quarter-finals. Plus all Pro Classes plus run their Q1 and Q2 on Friday afternoon/evening.

Saturday: All Sportsman Classes run their Quarter-Final rounds in the morning and Semi-Final Rounds later on Saturday. Pro Mod and T/F Harley run their Q1 Saturday morning followed by the rest of the Pro Classes plus Pro Mod and T/F Harley running their Q3 and Q4 passes Saturday afternoon/evening.

Sunday: All Sportsman Classes that cannot use Pro Class track prep run their Final Rounds before the Pro Show. If a Sportsman Class can run their Final Round on Pro Class track prep, they run between the rounds of the Pro Class eliminations on Sunday.

My expectation (guess) is that Pro Stock and MM/PS will become "Pay to Play" classes like Pro Mod in 2020 or 2021 unless something extremely favorable to them happens. (Is Evan Knoll/Torco out of jail yet?) FFS is already a "Pay to Play" as they have a sponsor and could move to more of a Sunday show as the money for NHRA from manufacturers and other money sources increase.

This way NHRA doesn't eliminate a money source in the 90 Classes, Comp and Sportsman Heads UP classes while lowering the costs to those teams by their only needing to be there Sat and/or Sunday if they are in Semi-Final and Final Rounds (Bigger Money Rounds).

• FootbrakeFootbrake Senior Member

That sounds like it may come from somebody who has not competed in the classes. Sorry if we disagree, but the racing in the .90 classes is pretty dam awesome.

As far as the lineup, I pretty much like it the way it is, but would like to see different sportsman classes highlighted more often. Or maybe vary the run order from time to time.

• FootbrakeFootbrake Senior Member
    edited August 13

I pretty much like the class lineup as it is.

It would be nice however to see a sportsman class highlighted from time to time. Or a run order change too.

That is not saying there is not room for improvement... I do like fuel altereds.... TD and TS and all the sportsman classes.

How about Greg and WJ in fuel altereds? or pro mods? 😀

• HEMI_guyHEMI_guy Senior Member

That sounds like it may come from somebody who has not competed in the classes. Sorry if we disagree, but the racing in the .90 classes is pretty dam awesome.

Nobody said it's not awesome. It's just not entertaining to anyone but maybe .01% of the ticket buying fans.... and national events are all about entertainment. If .90 racers are as racing purests as they present themse'ves as, they shouldn't care where they race. And if that's the case, they shouldn't really care if they race at national events or not.

• a21studa21stud Senior Member

I like and admire great bracket racers. At the same time, they draw just as big a crowd as the old "Time and Distance Rallys" did. Their ticket buying fans are either relatives and the rare person who admires the game of taking or not taking the strip after psych games and electronic overload on the starting line.

Weather stations for corrected altitude, 1/10 of a pound tire gages, 1 degree accurate temp gages, stutter boxes, bump boxes and logging every bit of data you can. I am really impressed with the scientific nature of the bracket racing game. Great bracket racers make great physics students... or better yet, great physic students make great bracket racers.

Now for the other 95% of the physics class that slept through it... they aren't buying high dollar tickets to a national event to see the .90's classes. I have driven an hour to just watch bracket racing. But it's a lot more fun to do it... otherwise just stay under the porch.

• TopFuel@LionsTopFuel@Lions Senior Member

Mine would be as follows.

Top Fuel-Funny Car-TF Harley-Pro Mod-Fuel Altereds-Super Stock-Stock.

TopFuel@Lions

• JeffinNYJeffinNY Senior Member

I went to Norwalk this year, where they had to eliminate all the Sportsman classes due to insane amounts of rain in the weeks before the event. They ended up running TF, FC, PS, TAD, TAFC, Pro Mod, FSS, and the Gassers. The positive side is that they ran almost every class I personally like to watch, except Top Dragster and Top Sportsman. While I'm not one to get into the .90 classes, they do make time for me to walk around the pits for an hour or two. Especially when normally 60 of each Super Comp and Super Gas show up. Now if that many cars show up consistently and want to do that, have at it. I just have trouble watching a perfectly good low 6 second Top Dragster trying to coast to an 8.90.

• TwostepTwostep Senior Member

Yes, but it's a racer's category - I've competed in it, many years ago - but it's not a spectator's category. And tracks holding national events depend almost entirely on spectators. That being the case, I say give 'em their own day, Thursday, a day that's not spectator-heavy or spectator-dependent and the dot-90 racers can have it all to themselves. Put Stock and S/S in there with 'em. The rest just about has to be TF/FC and then PS/PSM/PM/TF Harley, depending of course on which ones of those 4 are running at that particular event. Then TAD/TAFC/Factory Stock/Comp elim with the occasional exhibition car as filler. Rinse and repeat.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.