Rumor Mill: NHRA Pro Mod

Rumor Mill: NHRA Pro Mod

Comments

• WillyWilly Administrator

The particulars have yet to be ironed out, but RPM is done....

http://competitionplus.com/drag-racing/news/expect-a-different-nhra-pro-modified-in-2020

• oddyhahnoddyhahn Senior Member

Will the pro mod guys be able to see t shirts at the races now.?

• Yvonne*Yvonne* Super Moderator

Its a real shame, Oddy.

• a21studa21stud Senior Member
    edited September 10

I guess I missed the negative. Isn’t NHRA picking up the tab/gamble? Won’t Pro Mod now be a legit Pro Class at NHRA national events with a NHRA World Champ crowned? Doesn’t the high dollar “initiation fee” disappear?

I took it to be NHRA’s attempt to somewhat smoothly move Pro Mod to where Pro Stock was and let Pro Stock sink or swim on its own like Pro Mod has had to do.

What did I miss?

edited September 10

Well, last year at Seattle I did see one driver's shirts being sold but I'm not going to say who. Its a murky area. I've tried to understand how "they" decided who's shirts in all Pro classes are being sold because if you look carefully its a bit strange. I think their handling of merchandise could've been better for sure. Although when I attended the F1 deal in Texas the first year I was shocked when it came to merchandise sales. There was NOTHING, I mean NOTHING under $50 and the booths are even more tightly controlled so who knows. Should be a better way IMO.

edited September 10

I don't think there's been enough details to make a judgement yet but there are a couple of rumors about who may be behind the deal that are.... worrisome ....shall we say.

Don’t have a clue who “the worrisome sole” might be… ah.. Mike Ashley? nah.  Tom Compton? Hope not!, Evan Knoll? Yeah, right. 

Apparently it’s still going to be “The E3 Spark Plugs NHRA Pro Mod Drag Racing Series presented by J&A Services”.  

But it doesn’t look like NHRA will be crowning a NHRA Pro Mod World Champion while the season increases from 10 to 12 races and the travel distances, tracks, entry fees and payouts change. 

Too bad. If NHRA Pro Stock is 16 races and crowns a World Champion without a class sponsor like E3 and J&A Services, then why not make “Pro” Mod a “Pro” class too?  ...Oh... that would require another "pot o gold" at the banquet.

edited September 12

The Pro Mod schedule has been at 12 races since 2017. I used to think it should be part of the Pros too but now I'm not sure if that would benefit them. I think it was Kepner who said drag racing is a niche and Pro Mod is a niche within a niche. PM is almost entirely filled with business owners who race on the side. This is largely why they keep their schedule at 12 or less. Pro Mod is the one class where someone turns their hobby into a 2nd full time job that has really long hours and pays badly, if at all, but it still is not their profession. LOL

Totally understand the benefits to the shorter race series and believe it would benefit other classes as well.   It’s the major reason Pro Stock is having a better season and better car counts. 

Also understand the positive aspects of Pro Mod for the business owner/part time racer. But when the Pro Mod part-time racers with professional rigs tow from Florida to Vegas and all points between to race those 12 weekends, they deserve the recognition of a World Championship when they pull it off just as much as a Super Stock or Stock World Champ. 

edited September 13

Well, if they win the championship they're referred to as NHRA Pro Mod Champ so I'm not sure exactly your point but I agree the recognition should be just as prestigious as any other class which I think we all think it is in the PM community anyways.

Personally, I think the term "world" has been bandied about too loosely. Unless your org races in other countries its not really "world" like F1, is it?. NHRA is only a sanctioning body in the US and Canada. (There is an NHRA track in Pueto Rico but we don't travel there and the track in Dubai I'm not even sure is still considered an NHRA track). As great as they are, why would a NHRA PM Champ be called World Champ? What about the FIA European Pro Mod Champ? Or the Aussies? This kinda goes back 5-8 years when racers started self-proclaiming "world record" runs. And once NHRA stopped requiring backup runs for records that didn't really help. Come to think of it, the self-proclaiming isn't really new. Evel Knievel used to boast he was Champion and that he deserved to wear the #1 on his leathers. But he wasn't really in competition with anyone else was he? LOL But ... I digress. Good chatting with you A21stud.:)

(Sidenote: the documentary Being Evel is worth a watch. Some great footage and background stories. Wide World of Sports! Remember that? Haha Wow

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.