NHRA Releases Pro Stock Schedule for 2020

Comments

• racer12306racer12306 Senior Member

Curious that they cut the countdown races to 5.

• a21studa21stud Senior Member

St. Louis is out. Strange since it's the home track for the Jerry Bickel and Jerry Haas shops.

Do you think the decision was made by NHRA and the track owner's belief that Pro Stock doesn't pay for itself in St. Louis anymore? Or was it by way of a Weegie Board?

I think this will be the first time the St. Louis track hasn't had AHRA, IHRA or NHRA Pro Stock class since the classes inception in 1970. (Yes, I know AHRA's "Pro Stock" was called "Heads Up Super Stock" and/or "GT1" in 1969 before being called Pro Stock later in the 70's.

The St. Louis track has promoted a Pro Stock class at their annual national event for 50 years. Next month's will apparently be the last one.

• V10KLZZ71SV10KLZZ71S Senior Member

I would have loved to see something like "Exciting changes coming to 2020 PS" It looks like more of the same boring crap. I had a ray of hope that something would be different. My all time favorite class doesn't even tickle my interest anymore. No brand wars for the fans, which is sad since Ford/GM/Mopar loyality is very high as its always been. I guess NHRA is gonna ride that burning airplane to the ground.

• a21studa21stud Senior Member

---Willy, if this is too political, please delete it. But I do think my thoughts are on track as the Pro Stock subject consistently comes back to a lack of manufacturer support and currently, only GM, Chrysler and Ford products are approved to race in the class. 🤔 ---

The vast majority of the under 30 set doesn't care about Ford/Mopar/GM as they think "if it's built in the USA it must be American". They don't realize or care about the loss of high quality jobs in engineering and design when the "foreign cars" are designed overseas but built here in the states. They also fail to understand that a large portion of the profits return to the home country of the manufacturer when sales of cars manufactured here and sold here... or elsewhere occur.

Yes, you can own stock in Toyota, BMW or KIA, but the dividend is paid "after costs of sale" which are determined by the leadership of the company at their "foreign" home office.

Today's brand loyalty isn't what it was 40 years ago and we Chevy, Olds, Pontiac, Plymouth, Dodge, Mercury or Ford diehards are a dying breed. My one son just bought my grandaughter a Honda and my other son just bought his son a Toyota. Excuse me while I try to stop my dad who fought in the Pacific during WWII, from spinning in his grave.

• speedshiftspeedshift Junior Member

Glad to see they won't be at BIR. We got Pro Mods instead. Can't wait.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.