The Legend of Whit Bazemore

Comments

• I can't wait for this one. Whit reminded me of Al Hoffman 2.0. Regradless of whether he won or lost, the interview was always 100% honest.

Nails it with the line 'it takes balls, you gotta embrace that'. The kiss-fest on the top end hasn't done the sport any real favours, financially. Meanwhile MotoGP doesn't seem to have let that PC culture in the door yet. Go figure.

• SWPMFANSWPMFAN Senior Member

If this does not bring back the posters, just shut the forum down.

• ScottScott Senior Member

I seen the link and didn't see the word preview, dissapointed it was just the preview. I can't wait to watch this one. It should be safe to say, this one definitely will not be pc!

• Imm ManImm Man Senior Member

This is a joke? :(

• AngusAngus Junior Member

This sport misses Whit. And Al Hoffman. But I admit I was enjoying the banter between Langdon and Cruz.

edited September 27

Is there a Part 2? It ended in the mid 90s. What about Force, Cannon, Tony P, CAPPS, Top Fuel, Beard, losing his ride, his view on modern drivers....

Thank you Bobby. The early part of his career was very interesting. Going to LA for the Winters as 16 year old, and getting picked up by Ms. Winston, would have been unreal. Interesting to hear that he was scared of the car and at Atlanta he wished for rain so he did not have to drive. Maybe this is the reason why some recent high profile drivers walked away...

• slugbelchslugbelch Senior Member

It too 20 years, but nice finally hearing someone talk about the sport and the actual numbers it cost

• de31168de31168 Senior Member

I agree with the above post.. it really felt like watching only part of a story. I hope there will be more in the future. I don't think his career culminated by getting the Winston deal. There was so much more after that.

• The later years of his career have been well-documented, that's why i focused on the early years with the time I had. People know the outspoken Bazemore plenty, but what they don't know is what all it took for him to get there.

• edited September 27

I had about 72 hours or so into that episode, so no there won't be a part 2. I told the story, which was largely undocumented. All of the late stuff is pretty well documented. I've moved onto the next episode which is Mike Dunn.

• a21studa21stud Senior Member

l hope Mike Dunn’s will include where is is today and his IHRA experiences.

• ScottScott Senior Member

I hope down the road there can be a part two. I'd love to hear about his rivalry with Force and his time at Powers racing top fuel.

• That was pretty cool. As a kid I remember seeing his name in Super Stock and Drag Illustrated as a photographer.....I remember to it seemed him or Force blew up every weekend lol. Thanks Bobby

• racer12306racer12306 Senior Member

Great work Bobby

I always look forward to new episodes.

• I thought It was great. Used to work with one of his crew guys from the Permatex days. Was definitely a different landscape back in those days.

• V10KLZZ71SV10KLZZ71S Senior Member

Good job Bobby!!! Made me teary watching that.

• z28camaroz28camaro Senior Member

I have to disagree with his closing statement. Effort is noble but it's results that count.

• all8all8 Senior Member

Sorry to hear that there's not a part 2 to Bazemore. Him driving for Etchells, his time at DSR and moving over to drive TF surely warrants another episode. Plus, I'm sure everybody wants to know about "the punch".

• I thought it was great.

It’s the early stuff in peoples careers that is most interesting & I think that piece was dam near perfect. We all know the stuff that everybody knows but to see him as a person & testify as a person was nice.

I would love to see some out takes & bloopers from that.

• mossybackmossyback Senior Member

I thought it was fantastic! Whit strikes me as the type guy that is just super intense and totally into bettering himself within his chosen endeavors, and in conjunction with his "wearing his emotions on his sleeve" it's the perfect recipe for volatility!

Thank you BB for responding.

I think I've heard a lot about the post 1997 things I mentioned, but it would be interesting to hear his take on them years later and more mature. One never knows what might be learned and discovered by revisiting the past.

Anyway, the interview was great and much appreciation for doing it BB.

• luxexpressluxexpress Senior Member

Great watch and insight. One slight thing I'd correct is the clip and tire explosion happened at the IHRA in Epping in 1992. I think he still qualified number one on that pass despite the obvious problems.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.