• Yvonne*Yvonne* Super Moderator

Changes are a-coming....

• z28camaroz28camaro Senior Member

and the beat goes on

• TopFuel@LionsTopFuel@Lions Senior Member

Do it!

TopFuel@Lions

• HEMI_guyHEMI_guy Senior Member

hmmmmph. Now who was it on this forum that predicted this? ....Oh yeah, ME! But I think we all saw this coming. I think we all saw coming though.

Oh and the spec nlower inlet size? Geez that sure seems real similar to my idea of using a restrictor plate to slow them down in our numerous pat discussions on going that to 1320. The idea that was shot down by at least a dozen people saying how it wouldn't work. hmmph.

And I think this is lesser about safety than they're presenting this. I still think they want to hold that first 340 in their back pocket for a while.

• slugbelchslugbelch Senior Member

Sep. 14th for me. It was an easy one though, lol

• JeffinNYJeffinNY Senior Member

They should at least wait until the end of the season. 1 race into the countdown, whether you like the format or not, points are very critical right now. It is not the time to make all the crew chiefs throw away all their notes and start from scratch. If they have to do it, make the change right after Pomona so they have the off-season to develop tuneups. If they do it now, it just hands a huge advantage to the bigger teams. Q1 at the next race, DSR sends 4 Funny cars down the track to compare notes on, while Wilkerson and others only have 1.

Agree Jeff. Hope they wait.

• z28camaroz28camaro Senior Member

I'm sure Goodyear and the insurance guys are getting nervous

So has Goodyear just stopped doing R&D to improve their T/F tire?

• Fast forward 5 years from now.

What numbers will the nitro cars be running, given the annual rule changes to keep the classes in check?

Would you be more/less/same interested if they were running no quicker than today?

I'm genuinely curious what the nitro classes will look like in the next 5 years.

• RacerRoyRacerRoy Senior Member

Nothing should change until the off season.

• a21studa21stud Senior Member
    edited September 23

In the year 2525, if man is still alive...

NHRA Press Release Date: September 28, 2525 ---- For Immediate Release:

NHRA and Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company have determined that racer requests to redesign the NHRA Top Fuel tire isn’t necessary as the excellent Goodyear Eagle D2433 tire design from 1997 continues to work fine. As they have for the last 530 years, Goodyear and NHRA have determined the best way to keep the sport of NHRA drag racing safe is to limit speed and therefore are making the following change effective immediately.  

NHRA Revised Rule For The Remainder Of 2525 And Beyond.

Top Fuel Blower Inlet Maximum Square Inches Are Reduced From 2.0 Sq. In. to 1.6 Sq. In.

Current 2525 NHRA Top Fuel National Records: 1.783 Seconds at 246.47 MPH                                           

Engine LImits: 80 Cubic Inch Maximum at 1134 RPM Maximum

Autonomous Vehicle Dummy Driver Weight = 365# (All drivers will continue to drive their car remotely from the safety of the tower. ) Autonomous Dummy Driver Weight determined by the average weight of male and females in the year 2525.

NHRA understands that making this rule change with 4 of the 6 Countdown races left will obsolete all data the crew chiefs have developed since the last rule change in 2521. It is our belief that the many fabulous NHRA Crew Chiefs like Bobby Lagana the 26th, Courtney Pedregon-Force and Austin Prock the 25th will make any changes necessary to remain competitive.  Wally Parks, NHRA’s founder, promoted safety so many centuries ago and safety is still the number one concern of NHRA leadership today. The change in Top Fuel rules also necessitates a 12% increase in both admission ticket price and racer entry fees for all classes, including the popular Solar Super Stock class.

(Yes... my tongue is firmly in my cheek... it's not 2525..)

• If they hit 340 then do it.

"If they hit 340 then do it."

I'm telling you, it would be too late then. NHRA wants that 340 in their back pocket for whenever they're ready for the nest and last big milestone.

edited September 24

Yeah, I’m old. But I’ve read and heard about “THE Last Milestone” sooo many times. There’s always another Last Milestone. It’s how drag racers roll.

With 1000’ length’s added shutdown its only tires and NHRA’s tight fist on innovation that 350 hasn’t already been broken.

IF... bigger blowers, bigger cubic inches, bigger wings or aero, more RPM, more boost, etc. were allowed like it was sooo many years ago, who knows how fast (or how many hurt people) NHRA drag racing would have produced.

Thats the real issue. Can Goodyear produce a SAFE 350 or... 360 MPH tire that won’t rip apart under the thunder of... oh... 13,000 horsepower? Can stopping systems be developed that are consistently repeatable that also don’t detach retinas?

The moment NHRA is sure that’s true we will see it promoted as there are bleacher seats to fill, t-shirts to sell and sponsors to sign up.

edited September 24

Ok... I hit “enter” by accident on a blank post and can’t find the delete button. Willy ... Yvonne... help!

I don't see it. Willy must of taken care of it. :)

edited September 24

Reaching a speed is way easier than ensuring a safe stop. I think of this when I hear someone wants to go 300 in a door car. Have you seen the turbo Pro Mods that end up in the sand? One broke through three nets at Vegas and the car was demolished. The chutes ripped right off of Niver's alcohol car at considerable less mph and he was killed. I guarantee 340 and other milestones have more to do with stopping than speed attained. And there's been way more failure to stop safely incidents than tire exploding incidents.

340 it will definitely happen officially.

• So 330 mph is a safer sweet spot than 340 ridiculous I’m not for the new ruling to slow the miles per hour

• GolfRacerGolfRacer Senior Member

I'll take on the subject of: "who's the expert here?" I am continually amazed at what I call "sort of experts" take on the "real experts." So a NHRA tech person refutes the opinion of a world champion tuner - Mike Green. Mike makes his living, and has for 2-+ years, trying to make a nitro car go fast. And go fast through many rules / reg changes. And with great success. So who do you think has the most relevant and factual data? Yeah, me too.

I've observed this phenomena on this forum, in others, in my business life and (ahem) at home. It comes from a mind already made up and responding with that opinion when the expert(s) stops talking.

Lastly, I'm with you all that says wait until after this season ends for any rule change.

IMHO

• 5150mechanic5150mechanic Member
    edited September 25

Delete, thought it didnt post.

I’m old enough to remember when the slide rule guys said 180 was the max speed a race car could ever do in a 1/4 mile? Then the Greek and Garlits broke “the final barrier.. 200 mph!”. Later it was 240 Gordie and later yet... KB and 300!!!

I agree that stopping is more important than acceleration with today’s nitro racing. I also agree that today’s experts know todays limits... until the think of the next big thing

They always seem to figure out the next new way to break records...like laidback headers and ceramic brakes were the big new deal not that long ago.

Big Daddy became Big Daddy in the 50’s with something as simple as an oversized fuel line and then bigger pump. Then he figured out it was better not to “smoke the tires” for the full 1/4 mile.

NHRA may think they’ve got the rule package so tight that no one will ever break today’s record. But National Dragster keeps getting to put record breakers on the cover.

Nitro racing is rocket science and many of these guys are exceptionally sharp. It’s what makes the nitro classes so interesting. Very few watch bracket racing for a reason.

• NHRA and it's Nitro Circus have a delema where they need to significantly move the goal posts without alienating the fans that watch because of the excitement and carnage. That is just a marketing exercise. They already tackled the 1/4 mile issue so any change there, 1/8th mile? is no big deal. The perception just needs to be that they are the fastest to that distance.

If they feel they need to slow them down create rules that penalize them with points/money for the infraction much the same as the oil down penalties. As silly as it sounds maybe a speed they have to be down to "X" number of feet after the finish line, or maybe a chute failure or use of the sand traps. The idea is to push technology further, much like F1 used to before they got off track and boring.

Money to do something will always be an issue, it just comes down to what you target it at.

How about a "mineshaft" rule? Change the traction compond/methanol mix when air and temps are favorable for high speeds.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.