NEOPMA Makes the Switch to 1/8th Mile Drag Racing

Comments

• luxexpressluxexpress Senior Member

sad to see but it's probably what's best for the future of the series. They're going out with a bang tho. Procharged car ran a 5.55 and a nitrous car ran a 5.65 yesterday.

• a21studa21stud Senior Member

With NHRA nitro at 1000’, I’m surprised other classes have gone to 1/8th instead of a more moderate 1000’ change. Still drops the mph, adds to stopping length and safety while keeping a little longer race. Especially for Pro Mod.

Yes Ive heard Cromwell wants to return to 1/4 mile but the changes required to go back to 1/4 mile while topping out at a slower 300 mph will become a bigger problem in the future as the teams eventually blow back past 340.

1000’ Has turned out to be a pretty good number and I would think it sure beats 1/8th mile from the spectators standpoint.

The awesome small tire racers have proved that with any mistake in the tuneup, you can wad up a great car at any track length.

• alkysbcalkysbc Senior Member

Legit question: Does track length affect insurance rates for promoters/tracks?

• a21studa21stud Senior Member
    edited October 7

Good question. Not too many track owners bought insurance for both 1/8th and 1/4 mile tracks at the same time so I assume the only people that would know would be someone affiliated with one of the track insurance companies or owned/operated both 1/8th and 1/4 mile tracks at the same time..

My "guess" is that it does, and the only track operator that I can think of that had tracks of both 1/8th and 1/4 mile at the same time is Ozzie Moya. He has Orlando Speedworld and South Georgia Motorsports Park and until last year, he also operated Lakeland Dragway which was an 1/8th mile track.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.