Racing Words of Wisdom

Racing Words of Wisdom

I had a thread on the old board with racing quotes but I think its gone so I'm starting a new one. :)

"Driving a race car is like dancing with a chain saw." - Carl Yarborough

Comments

• slugbelchslugbelch Senior Member

Garlits 8 days ago after firing up his 1967 Swamp Rat 12A at Orlando Speed World where he was the event Grand Marshall:

" No matter how many times I do that... I still like it. It's the fountain of youth!"

• GolfRacerGolfRacer Senior Member
    edited November 2019

My dad told me a well known word of wisdom when I was young and wanting to race my only "go to work" car.

If you can't afford to crash it, don't start it.

• Yvonne*Yvonne* Super Moderator

Correction: Cale Yarborough

Stupid spellcheck.....

I once asked a track guy what tools they find most on the race track:

"9/16 wrench".

• a21studa21stud Senior Member
    edited November 2019

In 2040 it will be a 10mm wrench... or a thrown in anger laptop.

The most often car part found is: Small block Chevy header bolts. They could be found on race tracks all across the country for decades.

Turned the solution into a 30+ year old company. Stage 8

"Calling upon my years of experience, I froze at the controls."

— Stirling Moss

"Auto racing began five minutes after the second car was built." -Henry Ford

LOL I doubt it took that long, Henry!

• It's not racing, but I've told the girls fast pitch softball team I coach - "You're just a Facebook post away from being replaced."

• Oh yeah, "i will tolerate you, until I can replace you."

• Vernon WildeVernon Wilde Junior Member

"If the money holds out, the Luck will Come" - Raymond Beadle

• alkysbcalkysbc Senior Member

Can you become a millionaire by racing? Sure, if you start as a billionaire.—Unknown

• a21studa21stud Senior Member

“I want to introduce you to the next big thing in drag racing.” June 1978 quote from AHRA’s Georgia Miller as she introduced me to a very dirty first round loser named ...John Force

• FootbrakeFootbrake Senior Member

Racing is in my blood, I can't quite get out of it yet. -Dick Trickle

• FootbrakeFootbrake Senior Member

Racing is the only time I feel whole.- James Dean

"There's only one thing that can guarantee our failure, and that's if we quit." - Craig Breedlove

"I'm in it till I'm dead... and after I die, I want them to stuff me and put me in front of the trailer to sell more shirts."- Force 2019

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting." - Steve McQueen

• Aerodynamics are for people who can’t build engines - Enzo Ferrari

• mossybackmossyback Senior Member

"There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games." - Ernest Hemingway

• RacerRoyRacerRoy Senior Member

"I would rather be a racer for a moment than a spectator for a life time.."

• “They (NHRA) treat these tracks just for the fuel cars . Hell , Ray Charles could drive one of them damn things in his current state” . -WJ @ Seattle 2010

• Gen. DisarrayGen. Disarray Senior Member
    edited December 2019

Moonshiners put more time , energy , thought , and love into their cars than any racer ever will . Lose on the track , and you go home. Lose with a load of whiskey, and you go to jail . - Junior Johnson ...The last American Hero

"Suddenly I realized that I was no longer driving the car consciously. I was driving it by a kind of instinct, only I was in a different dimension." - Ayrton Senna

" I just hope my hearse is a GM or Ford. (Think I’ll add that to my will.)"

-a21stud Senior Member CompPlus

• Gen. DisarrayGen. Disarray Senior Member

“After the third flip , I lost control .......”

Don Roberts 1975 the Jade Grenade

“I made the biggest mistake you can make in motorsports. I borrowed money to go racing,” Thompson told Autoweek about having to sell his dad's world-record Challenger II to pay his bills.

edited January 21

"The winner ain't the one with the fastest car. It's the one who refuses to lose." - Dale Earnhardt

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.