$50k Shootouts Coming to NHRA Pro Stock and Pro Mod?

$50k Shootouts Coming to NHRA Pro Stock and Pro Mod?

Comments

• Yvonne*Yvonne* Super Moderator

A good way to get cars out for the Winter Warm Up. I'm pretty sure they had a payout last year in PM too. $20K maybe but can't remember exactly.

• de31168de31168 Senior Member

And it's on the same weekend as NMCA in Bradenton and NHRA's Division 2 race in Gainesville... so if you live in Florida.. you have options that weekend!

• a21studa21stud Senior Member
    edited January 8

The three Florida races have different racers and different spectator too. For the seriously hardcore drag fans among us, my guess is the Div. 2 race will again be to very empty bleachers and the NMCA race will only have spectators who are friends and family of the racers plus a few hundred locals. Orlando is the only one of the three with a specific, narrow focused show and a show serious drag racing fans won’t want to miss by being at a NHRA Divisional or NMCA race.

This $50k Shootout will be a real spectator show like highly attended football games. The Super Bowl and all other football games with large audiences don’t give their “stage” to Peewee teams and high school teams before the major college game or an NFL game. NASCAR doesn’t race multiple classes on race day and they have spectators that fly in and drive in for the specific spectacle that is NASCAR. I expect Orlando will have fly in spectators for this one. Glad I only have to drive an hour for it. 😁

• SWPMFANSWPMFAN Senior Member

I don't see many people flying in to just watch Pro Stock. Now Pro Mod, maybe. 😀

I bet you would have a turn away crowd if you had Team Force v. Team Schumacher v. Team Kalita with the same format.

I don't think people really care if they are racing for 50K. 50K would have been a big purse in the1980s for pro stock. 250K would turn some heads today.

Now, if I was an hour away from the track, I would be out both days. I used go to Phoenix when pro stock tested on Monday and Tuesday before the Winters. It was my favorite pro stock "race" of the year.

A

It could just be a fluke but...

On the DI Facebook page announcing the twin 50k DI/OSW races there were already 17 comments with two saying they had already bought their plane tickets.

With Disney and all the other attractions in Orlando while still coat, glove and boot weather up north, this makes for a great weeklong vacation. Excellent racing for some of the family and theme park for the others while all staying in a heated pool vacation home with kitchen.

• it will probably pay more than 50k, other sponsors are kicking in some cash

edited January 10

Isn’t it 50k to the winner with RU and semifinalist $$ at zero? Just curious as I thought I read where Stevie Fast spent $100k racing at the Denver DI race for apparently zero cash return.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.