Rumor: PRO Winter Warm-Up from Phoenix to Vegas?

Comments

• de31168de31168 Senior Member

It has been all over the place, Bakersfield, Phoenix, Tuscon, Las Vegas, West Palm Beach... I wonder why they are moving around this year. Does the fresh concrete at Phoenix have anything to do with it?

• slugbelchslugbelch Senior Member

How far down does the new concrete go?

• de31168de31168 Senior Member

I'm not sure, but typical thickness is 5 to 6 inches.

• oldrodsruleoldrodsrule Senior Member

I think they were asking length, not depth!

• slugbelchslugbelch Senior Member

… yeah, down the track. I'm curious as the new National event surface pours take place these days, if the length of the concrete track is recommended to go farther down or be reduced.

I'll always remember the all concrete Dallas debut and subsequent pours/resurfacing from others since then that are not going that route, or even going half track.

• Tim CharletTim Charlet Senior Member

OK - so let's clarify some stuff folks. And I'm speaking on my OWN - and this is NOT an opinion shared by the race track or any individuals there.

First Dave, Slug and others - there is NO FRESH CONCRETE AT Wild Horse Pass Motorsports Park. Ron Connor brought in Kurt Johnson's Total Venue Concepts team to grind flat (less than 1/8th of an inch actually) for the first 330' of the track. This helped to provide a much flatter and smoother surface that helps remove some of the 'bumps' (mainly in the left lane) that impacted hard-tail cars mainly. Both lanes are now extremely flat and smooth.

Starting after Christmas, we'll be around the clock laying fresh rubber on the track for two weeks straight. We are hosting our first race (a private test session) Jan 10th - and have 8 individual race dates on that fresh track prior to Feb 1st and 2nd.

• Yvonne*Yvonne* Super Moderator

Kurt J is top shelf. You should expect excellent results if he's involved.

• HEMI_guyHEMI_guy Senior Member

I've seen him in action at the '17 Shakedown in Norwalk. He a hard working dude.

Yup...Kurt and his team did an amazing job - especially with what they started with - it was pretty choppy.

• HEMI_guyHEMI_guy Senior Member

I didn't know he did grinding too.

• WillyWilly Administrator
    edited January 2

Wild Horse Motorsports Park is making the track available for testing prior to the Winternationals....

http://www.competitionplus.com/drag-racing/news/wild-horse-motorsports-park-establishes-pre-pomona-testing-schedule

Can spectators get in to see a test session?

• WillyWilly Administrator

Don't know Yvonne.... some years they made tickets available, most years it was closed to spectators.

PRO is holding a session at the track at Vegas also....

http://www.competitionplus.com/drag-racing/news/pro-to-hold-their-annual-preseason-test-in-las-vegas

edited January 4

There are no spectators allowed at either of the private test sessions. That's standard fare for track rentals. The exceptions have been specialty events (such as the old Superbowl of Drag Racing, the PRO Nitro Test session at PBIR, and older testing in Bakersfield). In each case, additional "entries" or categories were usually brought in to provide the revenue needed to pay for security, ticketing, facility maintenance, concessions and more.

Thanks for the info!

• SWPMFANSWPMFAN Senior Member

I thinks it's a mistake not let fans in, especially the test at Vegas.

With the test being held on the day before the Super Bowl, Vegas will be busy. I think they should not only let fans in, it should be free. Promote it on social media.

I was in Vegas last year when the wonderful track manager locked us out of the Phoenix test because of "track improvements" going. Did anyone see one improvement?

NASCAR had a test session and it was FREE. I went to it because I never been to the NASCAR track in Vegas and I wanted to see the jets from the NASCAR stands. I stayed for few hours before I got bored. When I was leaving I saw some alchohol teams parked outside the Strip gates. They said they were testing over the weekend. I did not go because it was cold and windy on Saturday.

So I live in Phoenix and going to Vegas and cannot watch the testing.... I may go out on Saturday...

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.