Corona virus and NHRA events - Page 3

Corona virus and NHRA events

Comments

• slugbelchslugbelch Senior Member

Looks like this thing is now affecting the racing community as (seeing it on FB) many teams are cutting back on staff and members of teams are being let go.

We are only what 3 weeks in?

• There's no way anything will be the same once this Corona pandemic is cleared. It's gonna be a {control,alt,delete} for almost everything in the nation and world. This is still, and will be a fluid situation for some time, hoping the best for our country.

edited March 20

California Gov. Gavin Newsom Issues Statewide ‘Stay at Home’ Order.

California estimates that more than half the state — 25.5 million people — will get the corona virus over the next eight weeks, according to a letter sent by Gov. Gavin Newsom to the President.

8 weeks Glendora.

• a21studa21stud Senior Member

These comments are just my thoughts on how we get back to racing and car events only. I’m staying away from politics and blame of any kind because probably nobody really knows the truth anyhow. I sure don’t.

Like everybody else, I also have no idea how long C-19 is going to stop our returning to regular lives. If it’s just three more weeks before we see this C-19 disaster peak, it will probably take another two or three weeks before the number of sick folks decline enough for “things” even start to crank back up. That would put it at the end of April.

But I expect the general population will take at least another 3-4 weeks before feeling comfortable in resuming hobbies. That would put it towards the end of May.

Races, car shows and other automotive events that promoters push to crank back up too soon will be seriously gambling with low attendance and low income as the majority of people will be gun shy in spending their “possibly replenished” expendable income.

Until the large majority of the general public feels really confident that things have really returned to normal, we will sit on our deflated wallets. (and that’s if the old normal will even exist anymore.)

We all have elderly relatives and/or scared young kids to calm down plus disrupted and destroyed jobs and businesses to crank back up... if possible.

That’s why smart people are making those tough decisions to protect themselves from this new unknown. Even if it means laying of their best staff. They only have the choice to either keep paying and maybe go broke or... stop the financial bleeding, lay off people, cut costs and be the bad guy.

Sure DSR and CKR’s Racing budgets are small potato’s to their overall income and budget. But the C-19 disruption to their overall budget isn’t small potato’s and this threatens their future too.

JFR’s position is even more precarious as all of his income is entertainment based and nobody knows how well or quickly it’s going to return. The Densham, Cruz and Dunn’s have no choice but to cut costs, hunker down and wait it out.

Only three weeks in? I have a bad feeling this is going to be just like rebuilding a motor. Doesn’t take much time to take it apart, but if you want a really successful rebuild, it takes a lot more time. Nuts.

• SWPMFANSWPMFAN Senior Member

LAS VEGAS MOTOR SPEEDWAY STATEMENT REGARDING NHRA EVENT WEEKEND

With the health and safety of fans, staff, competitors, race teams and media our top priority, NHRA and Las Vegas Motor Speedway postponed this April's race activities to a yet-to-be determined future date.

Ticketholders on file may use their April 3-5, 2020 tickets for the postponed event, choose to receive an event credit for the full amount paid* plus an additional 20%, or choose to receive a full refund of their purchase price. The event credit can be applied toward any admissions, including, but not limited to, grandstand seating, RV Camping, and Club Nitro hospitality. The 120% event credit can be used during the remaining 2020 or 2021 seasons for a NHRA sanctioned national event at The Strip at Las Vegas Motor Speedway, subject to availability.

Ticket office representatives will follow up with fans within 3-4 weeks regarding the status of their request.

*not including service charges

EXCHANGE/REFUND REQUEST FORM

Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institutes of Health’s National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, told the Today Show this morning that "Even if the "curve" was reached today (and we're not even near there yet), it could take at least three weeks for things to get back to normal."

…. whatever normal is going to be these days.

edited March 20

My posting above started with this statement: “These comments are just my thoughts on how we get back to racing and car events only. I’m staying away from politics and blame of any kind because probably nobody really knows the truth anyhow. I sure don’t.”

I should have added that none of the news media knows for 100% sure what’s accurate and true either. At best it’s their educated guess... or the “guess” they want us to believe. The educated part also highly depends on where they were “educated”. Sometimes their paycheck seems to adjust their educated guess.

**No politicians of any party or affiliation were attacked or demeaned in this post. (So tempting though.)

Support your local drag strip. (well, as soon as they let ya.)

• Yvonne*Yvonne* Super Moderator
    edited March 20

Dang! sad. ^^^^

Chicago going by way of California:

Illinois governor to issue lockdown order requiring residents 'shelter in place' starting Saturday.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/coronavirus/ct-coronavirus-illinois-shelter-in-place-lockdown-order-20200320-teedakbfw5gvdgmnaxlel54hau-story.html

edited March 20

This morning Monster Jam owners, Feld Entertainment, laid off 90% of staff (up to 1,200 workers).

Feld Entertainment also oversees Disney on Ice and Jurassic World Live.

https://www.fox13news.com/news/palmetto-based-feld-entertainment-lays-off-90-of-its-employees?fbclid=IwAR1mpW_ZRY214dhw1dJTe042l3lSZYbkpSigymMB8kSE_fcwunAEbXKqkSU

• HEMI_guyHEMI_guy Senior Member

It's a shame we couldb't have had 2 or 3 weeks to start of head than what we had on this mess. It's also a shane we didn't get started on testing people. S. Korea as tested 175,000 people. So far we've tested 15,000.

• rognelson77rognelson77 Member
    edited March 21

i just went back to the beginning of this forum and read every post. it is amazing how skeptical people are and also jump to conclusions. we need to slow down and look at the facts, stop sensationizing everything

with that said, we need our news media to stop grandstanding and cover the news. i try to watch bbc britian and al jezerea news to see what is going on in the world.we do not need, trump has small hands and if kamella harris becomes president, she was asked will she ban plastic straws nationally?. these 2 things were on national cable news

• kb301kb301 Senior Member
    edited March 21

We have tested 15,000? So you're saying everyone tested was positive? I think we are around 100k that have been tested, it's on the CDC website.

And that's our real problem. We can't trust any of our media to not slant their stories to fit their biggest benefactors. No matter what we hear, it's slanted. Chrysler's slant 6 got it right.

• SWPMFANSWPMFAN Senior Member

At this time, I can only see 3 weekends that Vegas 1 could take place. The first or second weekend of May or the first weekend of June.

This would be the best case scenario, if they start up again in Houston. If they lose Houston and Charlotte, I think Vegas 1 is cancelled. Logistically, and weather wise, it wouldn't make sense to race Vegas 1, over making up the races back east.

Of course, this could be a moot point if races are cancelled into August or if the NHRA radically changes the schedule; ie: running both Vegas races back to back.

edited March 21

We haven't hit the curve yet. Until that happens, every week that goes by, Glendora needs to extend to their already 30 day closure just to let the hospitals settle down.

April 16 is when their closure ends and after this week, that aint gonna happen.

Houston (April 17) and the 4 Wide's (April 24) are a wash.

After that is Atlanta (May 15) and here, there are now 485 confirmed cases in Georgia, up 288 cases from Wednesday. In the city is like LA and NY: Everything is closed.

edited March 21

When I was 21, we flat towed our “junkyard quality” D/MP car to the track a couple times a month. We had a simple “sponsorship” with a local full service gas station for storing and working on the car. (Can’t believe he put his business name on our old junker race car.) We were having fun!

That let me get a great apartment and finish my jr. college program in June, Got married in July and then promptly got drafted in August. By February I was humping a radio in the jungle of Vietnam. Had to sell the race car while I was gone but came home with all 10 fingers and toes to a totally different, but good life. Been married to that girl for 50 years now.

Why am I wasting your time with this? Vietnam was to me and my new wife just as life changing as C-19 is to us today. Drag racing has been my passion my whole life (well, one of them 😁 ) but even with as much time as I devote to it still, drag racing having to stop for a while just isn’t that big a deal. Health, family and friends are.

Obviously I still want drag racing in my life, but I don’t care if we have to take the whole year off from it. Food, toilet paper, family and friends mean more. (Not in that order.., ah, just don’t ask.)

Half if not all of the media is twisting things for increased ratings but we won’t know who is even close to being right or truthful until this is over. In the mean time, I will relax, do what I believe makes sense and not worry if a race I wanted to watch or go to gets cancelled.

Cancel them all and surprise me when races can finally be run. I’m not sweating the small stuff. (I would insert a religious comment here but can’t. 😇 )

If that's true, we're still way behind S.Korea when we compare the sizes of our populations.

• WillyWilly Administrator
    edited March 21

Not just the city, the whole state....

As far as racing goes, I'm concerned for the local tracks.

Just last month there was a lot of optimism among the area track owners, both drag and circle tracks

Just over the state line, Great Lakes Dragaway is supposed to open next weekend. They've already cancelled their racer banquet which was scheduled for tonight. Not sure where the opener stands at this point.

Byron Dragway's season was set to open on April 25 with test & tune. Not sure where they stand right now. Racer banquet took place a few weeks ago, just before it all went sideways....

Route 66 Raceway was to get underway with TnT and their bracket series beginning April 11. They announced on Thursday they are cancelling the entire month of April....

I would think local racers could racer under current CDC guidelines without much of a problem.

edited March 21

Here at work, we've just been given two government papers to keep in our vehicle. We've been deemed to be "a critical communication business as we are responsible for informing the greater public during this national emergency."

One is from the CISA (Cyber and Infrastructure Security Agency) to provide fuel during this response.

The other is from the CISA and the NCC ( National Communications Coordination) to let me travel the roads during curfews and restricted travel periods.

Effective from now until May 28.

edited March 21

where do you live slug?

My friend's wife has a desk job at FedEx and got a similar letter, but from the employer. I don't think it included anything from the gov. nut it may have. But anyway, she said it's for her to show authorities should our state impose a 'stay home" or curfew order if she were to be pulled over. Currently we're not under such orders.

My friend is a cop and says the whole city seems odd and creepy from about 10:00 pm to 6am even without such orders.

^ Atlanta.

edited March 21

Drove through Disney World yesterday. Remember the scene from National Lampoon's "Vacation" with Chevy Chase where they pulled up to the ticket booth area at Wally World and there was nobody there? It looked just like that.

The roads had maybe a 1/100th of the traffic of last week. The huge Magic Kingdom parking lot where everyone is picked up by the tram for the ride to take another ride to get in had no cars parked in it. But there were probably 200 to 300 Disney buses parked there in nice, neat order.

There are new rides being built at the Magic Kingdom, but nobody is working on them. Guess if you can't have tourists, you can't have construction workers either. We also didn't see Chevy Chase and family or anyone else taking a ride.

Still just like that....

Not a creature was stirring, not even... a mouse.

edited March 24

Atlanta officially closed its doors last night.

Olympics is postponed until next year.

It didn't keep these racers home. - http://competitionplus.com/drag-racing/news/singleton-and-vang-score-chaos-victories-pine-valley

Not a whole lot of 6' spacing go'in on there either.

• WillyWilly Administrator

We will see if that was a risky decision....

Trust me when I say this. The drag racing community will not be left out of the ranks of those stricken. My sincere hope is anyone that is stricken, racing community or not, recovers fully.

edited March 24

Oh, the racers and fans that were there will probably be just fine. They may get a flu or even the C-19, but they will most likely recover quickly.

Of course their neighbor or wife or girlfriend (or both) that gets infected from their selfishness of not missing this race might pass it on to their grandparents.

But then, with that behavior, they would consider it a positive thing as the wife and/or girlfriend gets their inheritance sooner.

Yes, I’m old, I have respiratory issues and I’m staying out of the way of the untrustworthy. I’ve been holed up away from my kids and grandkids too long already.

But who knows, behaving this way might allow me to see one of my great grandkids in a jr. dragster down the road.

Or not. (Yeah, I know, I’m crabby. Get over it cause my wife isn’t.)

Their FB page says the event they had planned for this weekend has been postponed due their Governor limiting gatherings to 10 or less people.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.