Corona virus and NHRA events - Page 7

Corona virus and NHRA events

123457»

Comments

• slugbelchslugbelch Senior Member
  • slugbelchslugbelch Senior Member

"Following the Indianapolis Motor Speedway’s announcement Tuesday, Aug. 4 that it will host the Indianapolis 500 Sunday, Aug. 23, without spectators, the NHRA seems to be moving along with its precarious Mello Yello Drag Racing Series schedule."

https://thoughtsracing.com/f/disappointing-indianapolis-500-news-doesn%E2%80%99t-sway-nhra%E2%80%99s-plan?fbclid=IwAR19qZJFpU9iCpXClWYXuDl0MvYc6y7R2ESczYpARpVo-1jGbRwVL824VSU

• HEMI_guyHEMI_guy Senior Member
    edited August 5

I'm not going. And that decison is based on the conduct of the spectators at the previous two Indy events I attened and the rising number of cases/death in Indiana.

• I'll be flying to Indy 3 from California on Friday. While I am careful about wearing a mask and social distancing, I'm not willing to isolate myself in the house. I may spend all or part of Saturday/Sunday in the West grandstand to keep me even more isolated from those in the grandstands that weren't wearing their masks. Looking forward to seeing all the different classes, some of which I haven't seen run before.

• I'm starting to become more pessimistic on where the season may be going. I usually spend two weeks in Las Vegas around the time of Vegas 2 going to the race as well as shows and dinners. I have already seen two popular shows canceled that I had tickets to-Le Reve and John Fogarty, even though we are three months away from those shows. In addition, it appears a bunch of restaurants have still not opened for in person dining such as Mastro's. I realize these are all indoor things which are more risky than outdoor events/dining. I still think we will see an announcement of some type by NHRA after Indy 3 about the direction of the season-whether we will see events like Atlanta and the U.S. Nationals go on with some kind of limited capacity and maybe a decision on the rest of the season. Certainly hope they don't decide to pull the plug.

• twomotortwomotor Senior Member

Well - this will / maybe be my 51st Indy. If they follow science with case's going up in Indiana and cancel will be sad but no problem - if they don't cancel the race will drive to Indy ( 4 hours ) , buy a ticket, get an event pin to show I was there, and go home and watch on TV. Wife and me don't want to do the crowd thing - can't imagine doing the mask thing for all day - in the sometimes brutal Labor Day sun - call me crazy but this is where I am - virus case's going up like crazy in our little town - anyone have a better plan? I am listening........................

• HEMI_guyHEMI_guy Senior Member

twomotor, if it's this weekend you're talking about and if they're running things the same as to two prior events, you can't buy tickets AT the event, online ONLY.

• twomotortwomotor Senior Member

Thanks - talking about the Labor Day US Nationals - don't know why they included Nationals with the name of this weekends race.

• kb301kb301 Senior Member

I will making the trip once again down to Indy this weekend. I have felt comfortable going the first 2 weekends and hope that continues this weekend.

• We flew from Texas for the first Indy. It was a great time. Masks on plane but no temp check. Had online tickets for race.  Temp check at track then wore mask some of the time, mostly walking around. There was enough space in stands not to need it. Fans under stands about 70% had on masks. Indiana is more open than Texas, about town we only wore masks when entering or leaving a business. Our driver told us the next county over had more restrictions than the one where the track is.

Its a shame NHRA cant survive on 3000 spectator races, moving around the pits was MUCH more enjoyable. Hope NHRA can finish the season as we have plane and hotel for ST Louis race, tickets for Ennis and Baytown. It does not bother me at all to go out, interest rates and payments don't stop, business doesn't either.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.