ARP Question of the Week: Will We Race Gainesville In June

Comments

• wonder if nhra is working with tv network , sports betting websites and race teams to do a event with no spectatora. would probaly get good ratings since all that is on tv is NOTHING

• oddyhahnoddyhahn Senior Member

Yes

• HEMI_guyHEMI_guy Senior Member

They should try it. I might just ne the nest rated event ever with so many people at home. But how do the teams practice safe distancing when servicing a furl car between rounds?

• WillyWilly Administrator

I was optimistic. Now not so sure....

• slugbelchslugbelch Senior Member

It all depends on the state. We will know April 30 when Gov. DeSantis lifts the stay-at-home order or extends it.

If they allow FL to open up next week, like us here in Georgia is doing now, I think Glendora only has the following week (May 8) to decide to run it with spectators. If they want to do like the other sports and play without fans, then I would think they would have until the middle of May.

They already have a backup date reserved for the Gators, I think they should use it. It will be the end of Sept. and the points battle will be better, finally, for FL fans and a fast track. Then we can focus if Texas will open up for the June 12 Houston race (and have only 3 races in a row vs 4.

Since next week will be in May already, good luck getting a bunch of out-of-towners to decide in 2 weeks to budget/plan/organize a trip to Gainesville.

• SWPMFANSWPMFAN Senior Member
    edited April 25

NHRA is a ticket sale sport. If FL is open in June,social distancing will still be in place. At best, maybe 1000 = 5000 fans. NHRA would lose a ton of money. Let's not forget that the Gators are a huge money making event for the NHRA. I hope I am wrong and you all can point it out to me.

When NHRA created the revised schedule for 2020, they were working with the knowledge at that time. Now that we are in late April, and likelihood of major sports opening with fans before August/September is remote, NHRA should revise the schedule again. I proposed the below schedule after the first one came out:

"PROPOSED SCHEDULE:

7/31/2020 - Seattle, WA - NHRA Northwest Nationals - (TF,FC,PS)

8/07/2020 - Sonoma, CA - NHRA Sonoma Nationals - (TF,FC,PS)

8/14/2020 - Denver, CO - Dosdge Mile High Nationals - (TF,FC,PS)

8/21/2020 - Brainerd, MN - Lucas Oil Northstar Nationals (TF, FC, PS, PM,TFH,,FS)

9/03/2020 - Indianapolis, IN - U.S. Nationals - (TF,FC,PS,PM,TFH,FS)

9/11/2020 - Topeka, KS - Heartland Nationals -(TF,FC,PS,PM,TFH)

9/18/2020 - Chicago, IL - Route 66 Nationals - (TF,FC,PS,PM)

9/25/2020 - Norwalk, OH - Summit Nationals - (TF,FC,PS,PM,TFH,FS)

10/09/2020 - Reading, PA - Keystone Nationals - (TF,FC,PS,PM)

10/16/2020 - Charlotte, NC - Four - Wide Nationals -(TF,FC,PS,PM,MMPS,TFH,FS)

10/23/2020 - Dallas, TX - NHRA Fall Nationals - (TF,FC,PS,PM,MMPS)

10/30/2020 - Las Vegas - Dodge Nationals - (TF,FC,PS,PM,TFH,FS)

11/13/2020 - Ponoma, CA - NHRA SoCal Nationals - (TF,FC,PS,PM,TFH,FS)

11/20/2020 - Houston, TX - Mopar Express Nationals - (TF,FC,PS,PM,MMPS,FS)

12/04/2020 - Gainesville, FL - Gatornationals - (TF,FC,PS,PM,MMPS,TFH,FS)

If August is lost, the St. Loius race could be added back into the schedule. A fall Phoenix race could be added this year between Vegas and Ponoma. In this scenario, there would be 11 races in a row. NHRA always wanted to be like NASCAR.

Let's all hope it starts in June with the Gators or dragracing will be the least of our concerns."

• slugbelchslugbelch Senior Member
    edited April 26

Saw NY Governor press conferense today and the question of "when we can go to Yankee Stadium again" came up.

Basically he said that it's going to be a question of how and not when. Some sports are different. Is some business (playing with no spectators) better than no business? How much $$$ does your sport rely on filling a seat vs not filling it. Can TV revenue be enough to start back.

Glendora needs to think of running the June events without spectators since TV time is booked and an audience will be watching and general audience will be hungry for live sports and an opportunity to lure new fans with the possible ratings spike.

• oddyhahnoddyhahn Senior Member
    edited April 29

Thank god the NHRA tour doesn’t have a track in NY. He wouldn’t let anybody race until next year.

• HEMI_guyHEMI_guy Senior Member

I wouldn't be so sure any racing (with spectators) will happen this year.

• kb301kb301 Senior Member

Hasn't the govermnet already given them the green light? NASCAR has had multiple races at Daytona with fans.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.