The John Force Racing Rumor Mill...

Comments

• slugbelchslugbelch Senior Member

… well, Monday business hours has come and gone...

• mossybackmossyback Senior Member

I believe that past champions can enter an event as late as the opening day of said event. It may be irrelevant at this point, but Robert, John and Brittany could possibly still enter.

• kb301kb301 Senior Member

Damn, a ton of sponsors suspended payments. I don't blame him at all for sitting out.

• oddyhahnoddyhahn Senior Member

Sad times. Sports just another thought nowadays

… and after all this the last few months, only one unsponsored race.

• Yvonne*Yvonne* Super Moderator

Yes they can.

SIdenote: NBC news reporting JFR sitting out and hinting toward John's age as the reason. I really don' think its that, personally. I also don't understand with a race shop just miles away they couldn't have brought one or two cars in support? But everybody has to make their own decisions.

I don't think it's that either. With the new rule, he can get some younger person to drive and earn points for him.

• HEMI_guyHEMI_guy Senior Member

Antone think he's too much of a control freak to send the operation out without him?

• KPLRC40KPLRC40 Junior Member

No. He’s not gonna hold cars out that are funded. That’s how you lose funding.

• Yvonne*Yvonne* Super Moderator
    edited July 8

I think he'd have a very hard time NOT being there when one or more of his cars was running. I mean, has that ever happened when he wasn't in the hospital?

• syclonedavesyclonedave Senior Member

Publicity stunt ?

• a21studa21stud Senior Member

Force is stuck. If his sponsor contracts said he would race the event dates that were cancelled or rescheduled, his sponsors surely have the option to back out. If the contracts have an "out clause" for the sponsors, they are probably like the rest of us and on a "wait and see" rather than "roll the dice and buy" regarding marketing expenses.

If his major sponsors have dropped out, he might not make enough money to pay expenses even by winning. If his cars won T/F and F/C, he would still have two cars that didn't and the overall expenses of all 4 teams would probably not be covered even if all four had minor or no damage. But it would be a big hurt to his budget if something did go badly wrong. Remember his and every other team racing is out of practice. This won't be an artistic masterpiece of a race.

He also would have to re-wrap everything or he's advertising for free which sets a bad president. How does he handle selling his T-shirt inventory without sponsors agreeing to it? The crowd size may be bad and accessory sales would become a non-issue. But it would also be another hit to his normal income stream.

Most likely he has looked at this from every angle and calculated this to be the safest road even without taking a chance of any of his crew or family catching China 19 over it. What an awful year 2020 has turned out to be.

Has there been any formal statements from JFR on this?

On JFR official Facebook page today they posted a happy birthday to Brittany, so evidently they aint gonna say much until Saturday on TV I guess.

• alkysbcalkysbc Senior Member

What surprises me if this is a sponsor issue, why aren’t more teams in this boat? Seems that most of the other teams are picking up where they left off, small and large teams alike. How is it that his teams are the only ones sidelined of the mega teams?

.....was thinking the same thing.

And there isn't enough funding to run ANY of the 4 cars?

None of this deal is passing the sniff test.

• I would guess that ultimately this is a calculated move to minimize risk due to the uncertainty around the rest of the season, made worse I'm sure by some sponsors either backing out, asking for payment deferment or to just pay less. Keeping it shut down as is for the rest of the year may be simpler than re-hiring all of the staff which are apparently on furlough, only to immediately lose more events to Covid...and with all this recent wave stuff they are almost certainly going to be cancelling more races.

edited July 10

*nd with all this recent wave stuff they are almost certainly going to be cancelling more races.

You can take that to the bank.

Well, Saturdays TV show basically said what you know is all we know. The elephant in the room not even given 10 seconds worth on TV.

… weird public relations after 137 days off.

Especially from a team who values their fans probably more than any other (I thought).

• JeffinNYJeffinNY Senior Member

My question is, is California doing something similar to NY? Right now, if you come to NY from one of 38 other states, you're supposed to quarantine yourself for 2 weeks. California is one of those states. Are other states doing something similar? Is he concerned that they'll stop somewhere and be told they all have to quarantine because they're from California?

• z28camaroz28camaro Senior Member

Capps, Beckman and others are from Cal. Doubt if that's a concern

I watched the national TV show today for the first hour and I didn't see one mention of his name.

The biggest circus act in this tent and not one mention?

I doubt DiamondP would do this.

• oddyhahnoddyhahn Senior Member

They were told not to bring up his name.

• His name and team Force were brought up a few times.

edited July 14

I have yet to see the broadcast but at the track it was by Rienhart and Rienhart only. And each time it was like from a written script handed down from the leagl dept. of NHRA's office.

• Rumors are that the crews have been let go.....

That

s no rumor, John's already said that much. I've been thinking maybe some went and got regular jobs and too many of them don't want to come back.

Does anyone know if anyone from LFR has gone to work other teams?

• JeffinNYJeffinNY Senior Member

They did still air his Peak commercial during the broadcast, not sure if that means anything.

• Nothing seems to stop all the California boaters from showing up in Lake Havasu City AZ every weekend to spread the plague

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.