Virus Economics: NHRA Pro Racers Competing for Reduced Purses

Comments

• oddyhahnoddyhahn Senior Member

Slowly dying the NHRA is

• Yvonne*Yvonne* Super Moderator
    edited July 15

Oddy, you're a ray of sunshine these days. LOL

I know its a stressful time for everyone but reduced purses and sponsorships are happening all over because its a REDUCED SEASON. I've talked to racers in other classes and they are reporting sponsor money cuts. Its a bummer but 2 + 2 = 4. You kinda had to expect it. Race sponsorships are based on racers racing. Who gets paid to not work??

edited July 15

It’s pretty sad how far it’s fallen these days. Wow I guess you can’t comment on realty. Been around the sport since 1970. Oh by the way if you saw my user name you might get it. Lol

• Oddy-it has been going down since the 1972 National Challenge!

• rognelson77rognelson77 Member
    edited July 16

The gorilla in the room is TV. Drag racing is not a good TV sport, plain and simple. And the format of 1/2 the racers are gone after the 1st round hurts sponsorships. I had the privelege of getting passes from a friend when Shirley had Pioneer sponsorship. I was the only one who was a drag addict, the rest were pioneer customers or family. When she lost 1st round, everyone of them left when they found out she was done for the day. The only good thing about that Summernationals event was when everyone left was able to hang out with Shirley and Grumpy came in to hang out in her motorhome. And his nickname was correct. He did warm up a little after awhile..

What is the Fix? Here is a idea. Since many races were selling out on saturday and not sunday, I believe Saturday because you are probably going to see all cars twice. Go to some takeoff of the old chicago style eliminator. all cars come back for 2nd round. 1st round Winners race other 1st round winners. all 4 winners of that group going to finals, with fastest 2 winners racing off for 1st and 2nd other 2 winners race off for 3rd and 4th. The 2 fastest winning runs of 1st round runner up group (do not call them 1st round losers) race off for 5th and 6th. 3 rounds max racing but it keeps people interested in their favorite racer and fans get to see their driver at least twice. If it brings in more sunday track fans and better TV ratings, maybe more purse and sponsorship money.

And make qualifying postition count all the way through eliminations, not just 1st round. Now you really only need to be in top 8 in qualifying, not a lot of incentive to be better.

Been racing the same way for 60 years, maybe time for a change.

• And if you think about that, you had probably 10 classes that mattered up to that point, so many good final runs. Pro stock, Pro comp, Superstock, Stock, modified, AA/FD, BB /FD, AA/FC Factory experimental.

• Yvonne*Yvonne* Super Moderator

Oddy, I was commenting on reality..... you ARE a ray of sunshine. :D LOL

50 years in the sport is a very long time and I can't help noticing you're still around the sport and following it here. That is a good thing, my friend.

• sometimes you just want to watch the entire 70 years just go away! The best memories and racers were gone 30 years ago

Just pissed, I grew right down the road of Jim Oddy hall of famer and Mike Janis NHRA/IHRA pro mod champ. It’s crying shame what’s going on to NHRA drag racing. I was the kid in grade school that brought Drag Illustrated mag to school. Always loved the pro’s

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.