NHRA postpones Denver & Brainerd Nationals, date TBD. Adds 4th Indy Nationals

NHRA postpones Denver & Brainerd Nationals, date TBD. Adds 4th Indy Nationals

Comments

• oddyhahnoddyhahn Senior Member

Call it a season. What a joke

• The whole circus is and has been a joke...traveling circus that plays into the hands of ...............

• kb301kb301 Senior Member

Why call it a season? If the NHRA and teams can make it work in Indy that's a good thing. If they fold up now, a lot of people will be out of jobs and potentially a lot of sponsors could be gone.

• oddyhahnoddyhahn Senior Member

It’s a matter of time when the stop everything we do for enjoyment.

• Always surprises me how many people complain about the Professional show which I believe the 2 comments above yours were referring too. I hope NHRA tries to run as many races as they can. I do hope NHRA continues as much as they can,

• I completely agree. better to have races than no races. But I do wonder if at some point they'll just have a bunch of races at Indy and maybe a few other tracks near Indy. At the very least it saves on travel costs for the nitro teams.

• SWPMFANSWPMFAN Senior Member

I think I called Seattle, Denver, and Brainerd. Slim chance Denver is run, no chance Brainerd.

Topeka has a good chance of going off as scheduled. Atlanta is a NHRA track and in a state were the governor ordered the counties to stop enforcing mandatory mask orders.

So the next 4 races are a strong possibility. Then we are into September and no one knows what things will be like then.

Crystal ball.....Reading, 10% chance.....Charlotte, probably...Gators, probably....St. Louis, yes.....Bristol, yes......Dallas, yes....Houston, yes....Vegas, maybe... Pomona, No chance

• HEMI_guyHEMI_guy Senior Member
    edited July 20

Judging by the number of people that refused to wear masks this and last weekend, they may get the next Indy race in, but I'm having my doubts about the US Nats. A guy I spoke with in the stands today is doing his residency as a physician and knows people with the local health dept. and he says these past two events are basically experiments to gauge where to go from here. There's NO WAY these past two events haven't created some more cases, but with so many people at the events not being locals makes it difficult to know how many cases were generated at the events.... other than hotel, resturant and gas station workers etc.. I don't know if it was intentional or not but we never heard Riehart say over the PA -"And if you are diagnosed with the virus in the next week or so, please contact the NHRA ASAP" during his somewhat frequent Covid spiels, that I'm guessing were required by the health dept. I found it rather disturbing how few of the people I talked to knew the meaning of the word asymptomatic. And most also assumed that wearing a mask was for their own protection, not to keep from spreading the virus. A lot of really uninformed people there. I wore an N95 the whole time unless I was at least 50' from anyone.

The Gators? Has anyone been following what's going in in that state?

I was there both weekends and while in the pits, I would say 95% of the people had masks on (those who didn't had beer in their hands and it's expected to not have a mask on while drinking). While in the stands, the % dropped considerably, but people were not on top of each other. I was in the first section by the starting line and I would say I had no one without 25ft of me. If I get COVID, I feel confident I got it at the store or at my kid's baseball games in Westfield, not at the race. For the record, I wore I mask the entire time and the masks don't keep the nitro fumes out :).

You were in the the more crowded section of the stands. I was just short of half track most of the time to avoid the to more crowded areas... and I can say I never had more than 12' from anyone... and had to keep moving to maintain that distance. And under the stands, literally NOBODY was wearing masks whwther they were drinking, eating or smoking. I spent as little there as I could. Last week I noted that all team memberes were wering maks at all times... but noticed a fair amount of slacking on this, this weekend.

• twomotortwomotor Senior Member

If they get to have the NATIONALS what will the ticket situation be? First two events said NHRA members or Nationals ticket holders - website showing seating on both sides of the track? Will you have to buy in advance with only so many available?

• SWPMFANSWPMFAN Senior Member
    edited July 20

How in the world would they know that a person got the virus at the track?

Ever since the number of deaths per per week topped off at 16,935, for the week ending, 4/18/2020, the number of deaths have been declining. For the week ending 7/11/2020, the number of deaths were 1099.

It will be interesting to see if the total number of deaths start going up. The hysterical among our population think it's going to go back to April numbers. Only time will tell.

Keep the races as scheduled, for now.

• Right now they are planning it by ear for the future race seating. I called today to buy Topeka tickets and they are selling all seats. My guess is that if the authorities limit capacity at races they might turn all seats into general admission like they did at Indy 1 and 2. Otherwise they run the risk of pissing people off if they eliminate certain rows/seats that people have had for years. I don't plan on sitting in a packed grandstand at Topeka-if it is crowded I will just go to general admission seats and hope I can find some with distancing room.

Unless someone(s) does the right thing and tells the NHRA, or the Hendricks county health dept. or goes on social media sites like this one. Aside from that, there's the potential of event attendees infecting workers arhotel, restaurant, gas station etc. or local residents attending the event.

Yes only time will tell on the numbers of deaths. Will you ne surprised to see them go back to April like numbers?

• twomotortwomotor Senior Member

Marion County - Indianapolis re-imposed some restrictions because virus case's are going up/

edited July 24

I think the track is in Hendricks county. The entire state issued a mask mandate because of the rising positivity rate.

CDC expects another 30,000 deaths the next 3 weeks.

That's deaths, not cases.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.