NHRA cracks down on political advertising on race cars

NHRA cracks down on political advertising on race cars

Comments

• slugbelchslugbelch Senior Member
    edited August 26

I think I counted 6 cars I found with the Presidents name in 2016 (none with Hillary) and no memo issued or no "crack down".

This year...1

"NHRA reserves the right to regulate any advertising or other material that is present on site at any NHRA event including without limitation any material appearing on any participant, on the body or any other visible part of any vehicle or transporter participating in NHRA events including support vehicles, in any pit area, in any area of the dragstrip from the staging lanes to the end of the dragstrip, and any item or material on site that may constitute product placement. "

I guess this is the year to "reserve the right".

• WillyWilly Administrator

I guess this is the year to "reserve the right".

This is not the first time NHRA has invoked/enforced this rule. It's been directed at numerous teams over sponsorship and signage for years.

It IS the first time its been directed at political messaging.

Look at the vitriol over political messaging in other sports leagues. Perhaps they should take a cue from NHRA....

Also consider the vitriol that spewed on this forum when political messaging was allowed. It's prohibition was implemented for this reason.

• Don't like this at all. Today ev-er-y thing is political. Can we have team NRA? How about a big ol' BLM logo?

It's too subjective to ever be really fair.

• ZEDL1kkkZEDL1kkk Junior Member

First Amendment means nothing to the soon-to-be-gone NHRA? Morons...

• TwostepTwostep Senior Member

I'm fine with it, as long as NHRA doesn't start picking and choosing what's political and what's not. Example - MAGA not allowed; BLM allowed. Ban it all or don't ban it, period.

• WillyWilly Administrator

The First Amendment says the government cannot prohibit political speech. Private entities can, and do.....

• Agree with this although my guess is some TV sponsor may have complained about the Trump stuff on Bo's car as well as Pat Dakin. Might be another example of how organizations take actions against what their constituents want as I'm guessing a lot of drag racing fans are conservative and wouldn't complain about racers putting Trump stuff on their cars.

• NHRA GRASPING FOR STRAWS...NEXT YEAR TICKETS WILL BE FREE, BEGGING TO SELL SOME $8.00 BEER TO A SMALL CROWD..

• KPLRC40KPLRC40 Junior Member

Sign of the times. If this bad been anyone but Trump it would have been fine. Just another example of the cancel culture. Please don’t offend anyone. NBA tv ratings are the lowest ever now. NHRA can’t afford to lose anyone in seats or on tv lol. Sad days in America.

• oddyhahnoddyhahn Senior Member
    edited August 26

USA is doomed, if things keep on going down quickly.

• HEMI_guyHEMI_guy Senior Member

*It IS the first time its been directed at political messaging.*

Correction.. it's the first time they've ,ade such an announcement. We don't know if they've ever approached individual teams in private about this or not.

We also don't know if e;ection officval, the IRS or some new guy in the NHRA legal or accounting dept.s has brought this to the attention of then top brass at NHRA or not. No matter the reason. it's not worth theor losing their non-profit status.

edited August 26

That's like saying Bobby can't have limits on what we say in this forum.

also - Given this and NHRA's nonprofit status, the NHRA logo or name may not be used in conjunction with any election-related messaging, including a candidate's name or image or any other indication of support for or opposition to a political candidate.

In addition, broadcasting standards and practices do not allow political candidate messaging to be prominently featured in our telecast.

• Yvonne*Yvonne* Super Moderator

"..broadcasting standards and practices do not allow political candidate messaging to be prominently featured in our telecast."

I was thinking its really more about this. ^^^ TV time etc.

Question???? What if they are paying for that car space?? How do we know they didn’t pay for it?? Slippery slope when you start dictating who can sponsor. I know there are some rules about companies competing with NHRA sponsors etc. HEY RICKIE. HERES AN IDEA. JUST PUT. “TRUMP CARD” on the side of the car for the next race. Can’t say anything about that.

edited August 26

A political candidate is going to pay for ad space on a fossil fuel vehicle? Not likely in today's politics. LOL I can understand where you're going with that question but the lack of TV exposure time wouldn't make it very worthwhile for a candidate to invest in either.

I have seen political ads on a variety of local level motorsports race cars. At this point, its really being seen as the Driver's viewpoint. I agree with you that it IS a slippery slope in regards to the possibility of straining relations between NHRA and participants/team owners. Got to walk a fine line of diplomacy and be respectful on both sides.

Too much hassle. The paper trail etc. would be a headache not worth dealing with.

NHRA Revision:

If a race team legitimately is sponsored by a political candidate then the candidate’s name and the year of the election may appear on the race vehicle (but the decal vehicle will not be prominently featured/emphasized on television or in other content, per broadcast standards and practices).  

Meaning the decal only. A better compromise/clarification. :)

• FootbrakeFootbrake Senior Member

"NHRA confirmed if a team is legitimately sponsored by a candidate, with the candidates name and year of the election, it may remain on the car. However, NHRA said in the statement the vehicle will not be prominently featured/emphasized on television or in other content, per broadcast standards and practices"

Not seeing where it says they can't be sponsored. If it is legitimate, then they can compete and display the signage.

My opinion is that they are trying to limit political statements/opinions. Trying to appeal to all sides... straddling the fence... you know, not pissing off their fans/income...

Oh yeah I feel sure it wasn’t paid for. Just playing devils advocate really with that.

edited August 27

My opinion is that they are trying to limit political statements/opinions. Trying to appeal to all sides... straddling the fence... you know, not pissing off their fans/income...

My opinion is they don't want to put their non-profit status at risk and were just trying stay with in the limits of the law that allows it.

• slugbelchslugbelch Senior Member

“Well, first things first. I support what I support,” Butner said. “I support the good Lord above us."

I remember Garlits saying that early on, he had a potential big sponsor but they wanted him to remove the Cross off his car first. You see how well that went over.

• Bill03EBill03E Senior Member

I can see it as being both good ,and bad to take politricks out of the NHRA. I mean we get a barrage of politricks every where now days, and it may be a good thing to not have it in a sport we love. On the other hand you don't want to take away anything that a team owner wants to put on a car IMO.

• I've never understood advertising to a crowd you know you have a lock on anyway, NHRA NASCAR, seems like a mutual rub-n-tug. You'll never change that 28% he, (yea him), literally could do nothing wrong, illegal, perverted etc to change any minds. I think it's cool when they advertise, Take NASCAR cars, so far all the sponsors for (him) are mostly crash highlights, I don't think the Liberty University (Falwell) car has done anything but crash so far, so if an NHRA ride detonates with (him) on it, very cool. C'mon, let 'em do it NHRA.

• luxexpressluxexpress Senior Member

The Liberty car just won Daytona and made the playoffs.

• JeffinNYJeffinNY Senior Member

Politics are just too polarizing nowadays. If you have strong views on one side or the other, be honest: When you find out some musician, actor, or athlete you like holds the "other" views, doesn't it color your perception of them somewhat? Very few organizations/entities/companies can get away with being openly on one side or the other without being hurt somewhat by it. It's best for everyone for the NHRA to appear as neutral as possible, especially to the TV audience. It's not like high end tools, where you may prefer Mac over Matco, but still like Antron over Doug for example. People are a bit more rabid when it comes to politics.

This discussion has been closed.