Tony Stewart

Tony Stewart

Tonight on YouTube there will be the premiere of Tony going to Frank Hawley's drag racing school starts at 6pm et

Comments

• rognelson77rognelson77 Member
    edited December 2020

would be great to have him as racer or sponsor in any class, could bring a lot of new fans. And since we know age is not as much as a limitation in drag racing, bring in some other popular retired drivers, Dale Jr Jeff Gordon, who could afford to run out of their own pocket.

Dale Jr could probably drive his car on Souvenir money alone, I know one year he brought in more than $10 million in souvenirs

Nascar Budget for season on top 20 1 car team is $50 to 100 million. NHRA top team $5 million.

• slugbelchslugbelch Senior Member

Tony Stewart Frustrated with Lack of Communication from NASCAR

Matt Weaver Thu, January 21, 2021, 12:51 PM

• Tony Stewart is frustrated by NASCAR's lack of communication
    • He pulled the Truck race from Eldora when he realized it wouldn't get a Cup date.
    • Stewart wanted to race the Busch Clash but never heard back from NASCAR

"I asked them if Eldora was under consideration for a Cup or Xfinity race, and when they said 'no,' I said we're done."

Article:

Tony Stewart Frustrated with Lack of Communication from NASCAR (autoweek.com)

• luxexpressluxexpress Senior Member

Wasn't he involved in a new racing series that was being formed? I think Ray Evernham? was involved also. NASCAR probably doesn't take kindly to competition.

• I think it's an interesting story to follow. I wonder if Tony's trouble in Nascar pushes him away from it. I know he would never stop running his Nascar team but it might push him towards starting an NHRA team. Love or hate Tony he would be massive for NHRA. It would bring fans and sponsors that dont know much about drag racing and help NHRA become more mainstream.

• Isn't Smoke's drag racing interest a sidebar to his latest romance?

• Follow the money, dirt race at bristol is big moneymaker for nascar. eldora seating too small. nhra did the same thing with charlotte. Took the national event away from virginia motorsports park moved it to charlotte. Talk about somebody getting screwed, guy upgrades virginia track, gets national event, nhra cuts your biggest event, you now have a to sell because of debt, as soon as you sell it englishtown closes and virginia gets another national event

• Yvonne*Yvonne* Super Moderator

I have trouble understanding how people think he could be good for drag racing. He's a bully with money. In our history (not to distant either) that always results in trouble and embarrassment for our sport.

• kb301kb301 Senior Member

How's he a bully with money? More money coming into the sport is a good thing when the general direction lately is money being pulled out of the sport.

We shall see....

• There are alot of people who dont want Tony to race NHRA because of his "colorful" personality. I think that's the problem with NHRA. I'm not a John Force fan but I know that NHRA needs him. Without him it's just a bunch of robots without personality. When Tanner Gray was in pro stock he did things I didnt agree with but he created a reason to watch. Same thing with Steve Torrence. I didn't like what he did but he created a story line. Warren Johnson talked about his rivals back in the day and said it was all for show because nobody cares if theres no story. I think Tony would create a story that NHRA needs. You either watch to see him win or see him lose... either way your watching.

• HEMI_guyHEMI_guy Senior Member

I don't follow NASCAR or dirt racing but know enough about Eldora to know it's a dirt track. Last I knew "Cup" races, Busch Clashes and NASCAR Truck series's were all on paved tracks. Did Eldora add a paved track to their facility? Also, I'm just now learning Stewart owns Eldora.

• 1843657218436572 Junior Member

Eldora is still a dirt track. Tony bought it many years ago and put a lot of money and work into improving it. They have run a truck series race there the past few years.

Nascar announced the surface of the Bristol Motor Speedway would be covered with clay for the spring 2021 race. It'll be the first time since 1970 that the top tier in Nascar has run on dirt.

I've been a fan of his for many years. I think the 'bully with money' comment isn't fair. I know, opinions are like certain parts of the anatomy.

• I was watching free life films of US street nationals in orlando from last year and a video followed of their NO GUTS NO GLORY no time race. Could not believe the crowd at that race. Made me feel like NHRA is way behind. I was surprised at the quality of the cars. Sure there was some junk there, but a lot of Nice fast cars.

edited January 26

To clarify my comment, I hold drivers responsible for their actions 100% especially after an error. Driver errors are part of gaining experience and skill building. While the actions surrounding the death of Ward fall on both sides I found his actions as a veteran driver EXTREMELY disturbing . He has had the propensity to take it upon himself to "teach" other drivers a lesson. While money, in and of itself is not a bad thing it does contain power. Exerting power over less experienced drivers is a very dangerous and wholly unnecessary game I can't overlook. Yes, my opinion 100%.

I said before that drag racing is big enough for everyone and welcome all new participants. I also said before I'm leery of any new driver starting out in Top Fuel.

Perhaps his experiences have changed him in such a way as to do better in the future. Like I said, we shall see. The personality and temperament of a driver are huge factors in what happens in the seat. Will it provide a reason for more people to watch? Most certainly, yes. I'm just hoping its for positive reasons.

• WillyWilly Administrator

"I'm leery of any new driver starting out in Top Fuel."

Yvonne, Del Worsham's first ride in drag racing was a fuel funny car. I believe the same for Billy Meyer.

• HEMI_guyHEMI_guy Senior Member

Del in 1990 with about a 3rd of the power of todays cars. Billy when they made less than an 1/8th.

Take the person involed out of the picture, for a moment. NHRA requires you to have a license to drive a top fuel car. What do you have to demonstrate in order to obtain that license?

Willy, Del grew up around funny cars and was groomed for that. Not a comparison at all in my opinion. ;)

edited January 27

"Take the person involed out of the picture, for a moment. NHRA requires you to have a license to drive a top fuel car. What do you have to demonstrate in order to obtain that license?"

A paltry 6 laps with only 2 full ones. Getting a license is not the same thing as being ready for the rigors of operating the car in competition. Think about Leah's blow over. I guarantee you a driver does not weather something like that well with zero drag racing experience and only 6 licensing passes. I'm concerned for HIS safety as much as for fellow competitors AND track/safety personnel. All are at risk here.

Good discussion guys!

edited January 28

Comment made purely for humorous purposes only : Well, Leah is his girlfriend. I guess he could ask her for pointers on that.

Thanks for the info, I was truly wanting to know how many passes.

• oliveroliver Senior Member
    edited February 1

So the most versatile & one of the winningest racers of the last 50 years wants to drag race. Not only that he got his wealth honestly unlike some other players in this game.

And the gatekeepers on the social media disapprove. Geezus.

Gatekeeper? Me? All I do is post articles to help out the site.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.