2021 Arizona Nationals Cancelled

2021 Arizona Nationals Cancelled

nitrofannitrofan Junior Member

Comments

• Yvonne*Yvonne* Super Moderator
    edited January 15

“However, due to many circumstances beyond our control, including current COVID-19 restrictions..."

What "other" circumstances are they talking about?

• HEMI_guyHEMI_guy Senior Member
    edited January 16

...... and so it begins.

If these new strains turn out to be even more infective than the original.... we could be in for a repeat of last year.

GET YOUR VACCINE AS SOON AS YOU POSSIBLY CAN!

• slugbelchslugbelch Senior Member

I bet Pomona is next.

April 9th in CA?... yeah right.

• Pomona will not happen!

• oddyhahnoddyhahn Senior Member

No vaccine here. Less races I’m ok

• Ya if you wanna inject some substance into your body because the government told you to, you go right ahead. I don't think that's gonna result in any more or less NHRA races...

• HEMI_guyHEMI_guy Senior Member

Ya if you wanna inject some substance into your body because the government told you to,

Yeah, that's exactly why I'm going to get vaccinated. Sure. I'm diabetic and have heart conditions.... I'm not effing around with my life. Looking around atl the dozens of friends / family members I know that have had it and the dozen or so deaths of people within my friend's circles... I consider myself lucky to have not got it yet.

I don't think that's gonna result in any more or less NHRA races...

Simple logic my friend...... the more vaccinated, they fewer infections/deaths. The fewer of those, the more we can get back to normal. 1 : 10,000,000 deaths per vaccinated. And it hasn't been you shown that death was directly attributed to the vaccine.

• z28camaroz28camaro Senior Member

this won't be the last to cancel. the rollout of the vaccine is way to slow and the number of new cases continues to rise.

• WillyWilly Administrator

I'm going to leave this here, as notification to the newcomers, and as a reminder to our long time members.

https://forum.competitionplus.com/discussion/17152/competitionplus-forum-code-of-conduct#latest

• My son in law and daughter both work in the healthcare field and have been vaccinated. So far so good. My wife and I are both 70 so we will get vaccinated as soon as our turn comes up so we can start resuming a normal life, like going to NHRA races! As a doctor explained to my daughter, "the risk of covid is real. The risk of vaccine side effects is theoretical. You make the decision."

Back to Phoenix...... anybody talked to Tim C?

• Guessing in this case the Gila Indian tribe had much more to do with this. Indian communities have been hit very hard by the virus.

• rebilasphotorebilasphoto Senior Member

I'm interested to see if racing ever returns to Wild Horse. With Lucas Oil drag boats series dead the lake is useless, with Lucas Oil off road series the dirt track is useless. Bob Bondurant School is hanging by a thread. Meanwhile that land is pretty valuable and ready to go for retail/hotel expansion. Also, the parking lot directly across street behind starting line now has a soccer stadium in its spot. I'd be lying if I didn't say that Im VERY concerned about my home track...

• WillyWilly Administrator

That linked story has been updated to reflect additional information coming out of NHRA and WHPMP....

Great news!

• Tim CharletTim Charlet Senior Member

Hey Yvonne:

I decided to leave WHP in October - mainly since I took a full time position in San Diego with Ceramic Pro. However, I also left when Ron Conner retired - as I didn't have too much confidence in the facility management with regards as to multiple differences in opinion on racer and fan-related services. Any events I attend this year will be with Joe Morrison.

I can say this - one major contributing factor to the Gila River Community NOT wanting to host the event this year is the limited capacity restrictions that would be ongoing into March/April. They spend more than $150K PER National Event on contractors, vendors, and other expenses to host the event for a few days. Without the full capacity (including parking and ancillary event revenue) - it simply doesn't make financial sense to have the event.

The development of the facility has been an ongoing discussion. While I know there may be plans to relocate the facility, I wouldn't bet the farm on that happening once the planned development gets heavy in the next few years. No insight on that - just a gut feeling.

HI Tim!

Congrats on the new job! And thank you for the great insight as always. The financial impact is so far reaching in so many aspects of holding an event. I keep praying for restrictions to ease up. I feel very fortunate I was able to attend Phoenix a year ago last Feb. I definitely plan to return again. I hope you are well! We've missed you here so stop being a stranger.....:D

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.