Monday racing at Indy is over

Monday racing at Indy is over

ScottScott Senior Member

I was down at IRP today for their spring sale to see what they had. I got to talking to a person who works in the front office. She told me that the Nationals will be raced on Sunday from here on out. I get the reason why, but I am bummed in the regard that ever since I have been going to Indy as a kid, it has raced on Monday.

I enjoyed the grind of Indy being a marathon, and seeing the winners on Monday evening. To me, it is just another event that is on the same abbreviated schedule's as the rest of the races on the tour.

Comments

• Yvonne*Yvonne* Super Moderator

I'm sure many people will feel as you do. Hard to see a tradition change for sure.

• HEMI_guyHEMI_guy Senior Member
    edited April 4

THIS SUCKS! BOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

They're sucking the magic out of what was once the most special of all events. Now it's just another stop on the tour.

• I haven't been to Indy for years but I'm making the trip this year.

• I'm not a traditionalist but I do agree that Indy, from a fan standpoint, is now just another stop on the tour, the same as any of the other three day events. Pros running four days with 5 qualifying sessions made Indy different.

• When there were only 4 major events, each one became special, but when it came time for Indy, that was the epic event of the season.. Things change and if $$$ does not work, it gets canned. Believe me, if they could sell 30,000 tix for Monday, it would be on Monday!

edited April 5

if they could sell 30,000 tix for Monday, it would be on Monday!

They've had to hit that and been close to hitting that number at all of the 26+ Mondays I've been there. Holy crap.... even if it was just 20,000.... that's a million dollars in ticket sales alone!

• twomotortwomotor Senior Member

Hate the change - have 48 Mondays there - seems to me the Sunday crowd bigger than the Monday crowd for a few years now. Monday a tradition but Sundays got big when they were doing the race's within a race like Bud Shoot Out - just my opinion.

• ScottScott Senior Member

Got this email from NHRA, happy days are here again:

Good afternoon Scott, my name is Joshua Avila and I am reaching out to you from the National Hot Rod Association. I recently read the email you sent in, regarding the US Nationals in Indianapolis, IN. I understand that you see the US Nationals is not as prestigious due to not having the event end on Monday but rather Sunday. This is looking like the last year we are looking to end on Sunday. In the 2022 season we are looking to end the event on Monday as is tradition. COVID had thrown us for a loop but we are looking to get past it and get back to what makes the NHRA a great sport. We do appreciate your feed back and want to do our best to make all our fans happy. Thank you again for reaching out.

edited April 12

WOOHOO! This makes me as happy as finding 1 carb per slice bread! Us diabetics can have sandwiches again.... oh and grilled cheeses..., and french toast!

• Yvonne*Yvonne* Super Moderator

Great news!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.