NHRA Officials

NHRA Officials

The last couple of races the officials have made some interesting calls. The Topeka burn down about a month ago. Today they made an interesting call in round 1 with John Force. On tv it was blatantly obvious that he crossed the line. Now in both these cases it really didn't matter because the winners/losers of the rounds didnt have a shot in the next round. I was wondering exactly who makes these calls. Is it one person or a group?

Comments

• HEMI_guyHEMI_guy Senior Member

I joked with the guy I was sitting next to in that stands when they said the official down on the track said Forced hit the line but did not crossing. I said... No.. that call came from the tower!

• I had said this on here during the Topeka situation. If it was a different driver the call probably would of been different. If it would of been Richards the call would of been he crossed.

• NHRA kept Force in the race to try and excite the crowd.. he crossed the line, and everyone knows it

• slugbelchslugbelch Senior Member

See for yourself:

If that block had been back 5' he would have sent it flying.

• If you watch street outlaws when someone crosses or is close they go down there and show the marks on tv. Compare that to NHRA and fox who has Brian say he didn't cross. Where not going to show you anything, your just going to have to believe us. I just want to know why we dont see what the officials see and who makes the "unbiased" decision.

street outlaws actually cares about a centerline?

• racer12306racer12306 Senior Member

Questions for myself...

1. Is it legal for the body to cross but not the tire?
    2. Can the tire touch the line? Or is it as soon as the tire touches it's a DQ?
    edited September 9

1. how many times have we seen a body just barely graze a block to send it flying... resulting in a DQ?

2. Yes, the tire can touch it without a DQ. And the official down on the track said it did, but it did not cross it.

The question I have... there are two lines down the middle... is it legal to hit the second one?.... because it sure looks like John's tire did. The body crossed the second line for sure.

• z28camaroz28camaro Senior Member

they showed the official looking at the tracks and the call was made that he was ok. By the looks of that video he was. You can touch but can't cross

• racer12306racer12306 Senior Member

Your answer #2 has always been my understanding. It has also always been my understanding that if you hit ANY block, it's a DQ. Yes, they're different but my understanding is that has been the rules for many years. Not going to say it's right or wrong, but if that's the rule, then that's the rule until it's changed.

• Tim CharletTim Charlet Senior Member

The centerline rule is fairly simple - but often misunderstood.

The center "line" is actually made up of two - independent lines. One for each lane. If the TIRE(s) of a vehicle crosses OVER their lane line - that's a DQ. If ANY part of their vehicle hits a timing block - and that block is dislodged from it's location - it's a DQ.

The car's TIRE can TOUCH their centerline - but once it crosses over that line - they are DQed.

With regards to the Official who makes the call - it's the Race Director's decision. Race Director communicates to the starter and other members of the on-track Safety Safari to relay data. At NHRA National Events - that typically falls to the Division Director where the event is being held. If a unique situation occurs, it is the job of the VP of Competition to make the final call.

• Bottom line....keep Force in to make the races exciting.. don't holler at me!.. I am a JFR fan..

With regards to the Official who makes the call - it's the Race Director's decision. Race Director communicates to the starter and other members of the on-track Safety Safari to relay data. At NHRA National Events - that typically falls to the Division Director where the event is being held. If a unique situation occurs, it is the job of the VP of Competition to make the final call.

In other words.... never the official down on the track that's actually looking at the rire marks, if there are any..... unless it happens to be one of the three officials mentioned above. I feel it should be the official that's actually working THAT portion of the track.

• Ok, I was just interested who makes the decision. I know around 10 years ago Graham light was on tv all the time explaining decisions that him and officials made. Now it seems like nobody knows lol.

• NHRA..LEFT HAND DOES NOT KNOW WHAT RIGHT HAND DOES...JUST GIVE ME A DEPOSIT SLIP!

• This is off the subject but they are flying at Maple Grove this evening. Force in TF went 3.66 at 335.57. Most all the cars were getting down the strip. The Pro Stocks and Bikes were also smoking, one bike ran 201.57.

• Tim CharletTim Charlet Senior Member

"In other words.... never the official down on the track that's actually looking at the rire marks, if there are any..... unless it happens to be one of the three officials mentioned above. I feel it should be the official that's actually working THAT portion of the track."

That's not whatsoever accurate - nor what I wrote.

The Race Director calls down to that person working on the track - looking directly at the tire lines to ask them if there is physical evidence of crossing the line. In most cases, TWO on-track officials will gather together to verify. And just to clarify, the "on track" officials are those stationed at each major timing block - 330' - 660' - 1000'.

When they relay that data or information to the Race Director - the decision is made. So yeah, it is THOSE OFFICIALS DOWN TRACK who help make the call.

I understood what all you wrote and your last sentence verified what I said, The on-track officials only give input, not the final say.

I'm having a hard time believing there's no electronic means of verifying centerline crossings.

• The Brittany and Steve race NHRA made the right call on changing who won. There is evidence posted by Erica Enders on Facebook that there was timing issues all day. The Aaron Stanfield red light might of been a timing issues. His car didnt move and the light went red. NHRA new about problems in the first round and did nothing.

• Yvonne*Yvonne* Super Moderator
    edited September 20

"NHRA new about problems in the first round and did nothing."

Can you verify that? Because here's my point.... we don't know what goes on behind the scenes during a race that is being broadcast. I think there's A LOT that they have to contend with on a regular basis and sometimes you may "fix" something only to find it didn't fix it.

• mossybackmossyback Senior Member
    edited September 20

^ This is true, but how could NHRA continue racing the fuel cars after Steve Torrence received the erroneous win light even though the timing increments and the finish line camera immediately indicated otherwise ?

• From what elite motorsports said is that they talked to officials right away when the red light happened and they said he went red and it wasn't a malfunction. If you watch it in slow motion Aaron's car didnt move until stroupe left.

edited September 20

I'd sure LOVE to find out what frequencies NHRA uses on their radios.. and record them!

I knew a racer that routinely listened in on IHRA's radios and heard them say stuff like "ahh effit- just start sending them" after a haphazard oildown "clean up". He said you should have seen the look on one of the official's face when he once repeated, verbatim, what heard them say on the radio!

• Aaron Stanfield got screwed!!! We have data showing no movement was made from his car. Watch the footage and let NHRA know what y’all think! This was a round 1 (number 1 qualifier) TRAGEDY for Aaron and team. This is championship drag racing in the heat of the countdown for a contender. This changes everything and honestly, it is BS. I’m not saying that I know everything, but what I do know is they didn’t even take a second look at it, but they fixed all of the other timing issues from the weekend. We just want fair…- Courtney Enders

• FootbrakeFootbrake Senior Member
    edited September 21

NHRA's silence on the double red light with Stroupe and Stanfield issue speaks volumes...

• I seen on Facebook where people were talking about it and they said Charlotte has had timing issues before.

• z28camaroz28camaro Senior Member

if you look at the bulbs on the video going around Wally's top blue light went out upon car movement but the bottom blue stayed on until the back end cleared the beams. In the meantime Stanfield reacted and left and got the red. Wally was at least 1/2 car out before Stanfields red light. Something was surely fishy

• Post by Quarter Mile Media on Facebook.

Aaron Stanfield has filed a protest and NHRA is yet to rule and address this matter of Wally Stroupe allegedly red lighting first. Timing System controversy also involved Brittany Force's erroneous win light. This could get interesting. *Edit, additional information according to Crew Chief Tim Freeman's wife. "They did protest. They have more videos that they can slow down even more. They had already had two reruns that day. I guess Britney Force has more pull. They went to NHRA and they refused to even look at the video and was an ahole to my husband who’s Arron’s crew chief. Even the other racers knew they got screwed."

• Never go against a Force..bad for tv ratings..

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.