Next Gen Nitro

Next Gen Nitro

racer12306racer12306 Senior Member

I'm not sure if this has been thought of before, and I'm sure that I've over-simplified it in my head.

Has anyone toyed with throwing a blower on top of an A/Fuel engine?

Some obvious changes like an increased fuel system would be necessary. However, I'm not versed on the guts of these engines.

Could be a possible future path to slow the nitro cars down some while maybe utilizing parts that already exist and since it would be a new combination, limitations to fuel, clutch, etc may be easier to implement.

Went to the local divisional race on Friday and saw A/Fuel cars for the first time. Was very impressed with them considering they don't have a blower on them.

Just a rambling thought that keeps popping into my head.

Comments

• they do have that class its called top fuel

• HEMI_guyHEMI_guy Senior Member
    edited October 12

A clutch management system on the injected cars and lock-up convertors on the blower cars would put the class solidly in the 4's. NHRA and I'm not sure how many racers would want that.

• racer12306racer12306 Senior Member
    edited October 12

Per the rules, they’re smaller engines. My understanding is they’re much smaller.

I don’t know the specifics of these engines beyond that.

My thought was for a replacement for the current Top Fuel combination.

• alkysbcalkysbc Senior Member

I guess my question is why? I know that some folks clamor for the return to 1320' racing, but slowing the cars down to do that isn't worth it to me. I attended the very first 1000' race in Denver in 2008, and other than the score boards reading different numbers, I don't think most folks could tell the difference. I am a mechanical fan, and the thought of neutering the cars for any reason absolutely slays me. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I'd watch Fuel cars run to the 330' as long as they can continue to innovate and improve. If it is for safety, I have to say that the number of incidents in recent years has been minimal, despite a lot of 330 mph runs. In my opinion, Top Fuel should stay as is. Personally, what I would like to see is A Fuel become its own class separate from Alcohol. With more cubes and better control systems it could be a good intermediate class in terms of performance and cost between Alcohol Dragster and Top Fuel. Just my two cents....

I don’t disagree at all. They are the pinnacle. They will be expensive.

Since many people talk about slowing them down or reducing cost, it’s a thought I had.

The only reason I would want to see 1320 again would be to see the first 4.30's pass and first 340 mph. And it's those two things that NHRA doesn't want.

• We won't be seeing 340 mph anytime soon. 1/4 mile or 1,000ft. The tire would explode from what Goodyear says. Dont need another Darrell Russell incident.

• Yvonne*Yvonne* Super Moderator

I believe they've already been 340 unofficially. Nobody will say it out loud but it was hinted at more than once What Goodyear is really saying IMO is that they don't feel confident in the tire's ability to sustain full racing competition. Meaning several runs at that speed on multiple cars. Frankly, how did they verify it could handle 300mph at the time?

lol...I didn't say it likely, was just saying it would be the only reason I would care to see 1320 back in response to the suggestion we run less powerful cars to do so. I have NO interest in seeing T/F running 4.80's @ 310 again.

as to the tire, we've seen 338 already. I'm wondering how those tires held held up and if Goodyear has taken a close look at them. .

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.