in the works: scratch 1/8 TAD

in the works: scratch 1/8 TAD

comp1839comp1839 Senior Member
edited April 2012 in Competition Collectibles
here's a project i'm currently working on for a life long friend of mine. he owns a race car shop and has put up with my racing habit for many years. this car is a thankyou to him for not killing me over the years.

the car is a top alcohol dragster based on a 292" wheelbase chassis. the PSI screwblown BAE hemi backed up w/ a B&J 3 spd. and a strange 9" top loader. american racing wheels on the rear and gibson wheels on the front.

while not yet completed, i thought you might enjoy lookig at is as a W.I.P..
please keep in mind that except for the center section of the rear, the block (which is still highly modified) and the blower belt. this is entirely scracth built.
here is the engine and trans:
007-15.jpg
006-16.jpg
009-7.jpg
011-9.jpg
more to come.

Comments

• comp1839comp1839 Senior Member
    edited January 2011
    here is the chassis:
    015-7.jpg
    frt. wheels:
    006-18.jpg
    rr. wheels:
    018-3.jpg
    toploader rear:
    004-10.jpg
    edited January 2011
    head protector and seat. this is hand formed .020" alum. that has been tig welded and ground down.:
    007-12.jpg
    009-5.jpg
    rr. brakes:
    006-12.jpg
    hand formed alum. body:
    001-32.jpg

hope you enjoy!!
  • ratonabikeratonabike Senior Member
    edited January 2011
    omg... that is just incredible.... i don't know what to say, i can't believe any of this,.... it has to all be fake, total photoshop special effects... no way this is real... this must be some sort of alien conspiracy or something!!... lol...

the detail on this rivals anything the full size actual real-life parts are, and even more incredible due to their tiny size...

love the carbon discs... and how the Trick Ti can, seems to have the same color as the real part.. and the fuel fittings and filter and everything else... crazy

major props!!!! incredible craftsmanship... for an alien.... :D
  • edited January 2011
    Rat you pretty much summed it up. I have never seen this much detail from a scratch built model. This is incredible craftsmanship and attention to detail indeed.
    Comp1839 have you ever considered getting into the chassis building business? Just looking at the build of your 1/8 scale alky dragster you seem to have the engineering know how to build an actual dragster chassis. Of course there is more engineering detail when it comes to building the real thing but my guess is all you would be doing is building a larger version of your 1/8 scale model. It seems you have the engineering design down to a science.
  • anotheridiotanotheridiot Senior Member
    edited January 2011
    I wish I had that patience. Great work. You guys are so precise while I weld and hammer old camaros and build playtops out of 1/2 pvc for my cockatoo.

I just laugh at the ricky bobby style product shots from your sponsors dewalt and maxwell house lol.
  • TwostepTwostep Senior Member
    edited January 2011
    build playtops out of 1/2 pvc for my cockatoo.

Now I understand your username. :D

My X had one of those things for years and the day it flew out her apartment door, never to be seen again, she threw a party that was talked about for weeks. I offered to buy her a cat early-on, but...:(

The Strange discs, calipers and all the various little decals like 'trick titanium' is what impressed me. That model (maybe I should call it something more respectable?) really is no different from the real thing. Your friend will be well pleased and honored. I know I would.
    edited January 2011
    i would like to thank you guys for the great comments. it's certainly nice to know your thoughts on the TAD dragster. i will keep you posted as the work progresses.
  • WillyWilly Administrator
    edited January 2011
    Fantastic work Dave. Your creations are right up there with the likes of Gerald Wingrove......museum quality.

Questions....You mentioned that you didn't scratch build the Strange Toploader...Did you have someone cast it up for you?

About the blower belt.....Where did you source that from, and do they have belts and drives in 1/24th scale?

I've been checking out your Camaro 10.5 on your Photobucket page....did the body come from the now out of production 1/8th Monogram Z/28?
    edited January 2011
    thanks willy.

the first toploader i did in a product called renshape(it's in the aa/fa) the one that is in the dragster, i sent my prints to a company called TDR. they did a 3D rendering and produced a rapid prototype. it is now available on there website. i only used the center section. the mounting plates, pinion support, side bells, floater hubs and brakes are all hand machined from aluminum.

the blower belt is an actual timing belt i buy from a company called stock drive products. they're an industrial supplier. i believe the narrowest belt they supply is 1/4" which would be good for a 1/12 scale car. i do not believe they have anything small enough for 1/25. but hey.....call 'em you never know.

the body for the camaro is the monogram 1:8 scale 1982 z-28. i'll post the camaro later today if you'd like.
  • Rajunz1Rajunz1 Junior Member
    edited February 2011
    That is an incredible work of art, such a great craftsman.
    edited April 2011
    i've had some time to start assembling the TAD model. here are some shots:

001-33.jpg

003-36.jpg

005-26.jpg

006-20.jpg

hope you enjoy!
    edited April 2011
    few more.

007-18.jpg

008-15.jpg

hope you enjoy!
  • antdogbmxantdogbmx Senior Member
    edited November 2011
    oh my god that is awesome
  • RacerRoyRacerRoy Senior Member
    edited November 2011
    What is the best E.T. and MPH for that dragster?? WHAT !!, that is not a full size race car,,,wow, unbelievable skill and workmanship..;):):):)
  • TopFuel@LionsTopFuel@Lions Senior Member
    edited November 2011
    Very, very nice work, wow!

TopFuel@Lions
  • notbeenracingnotbeenracing Senior Member
    edited November 2011
    I think you just took over the "THE MAN" spot from Manzo, I saw these on your first posts and just got back to them today. Impressed doesn't even express this well enough. You do have a talent. Best guess???? how many hours do you have in this????? Can't wait to see it done. You must really owe your friend a big favor. GREAT JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    edited December 2011
    sorry it's been a while since i've worked on this. i am getting back to though.

thank you for the great replies. i'm not sure exactly how many hours i accumulate in a build i never really track them closely. (if the wife new how many she'd beat me silly! hehe) there is a least 3-4 months in the motor alone.

i tried to count the hours on a recent project, a 1/8 scale AA/FA, and it was over 2000 hrs total. i breeze over a lot of the construction process's to shorten the story but literally you are looking at almost 100% scratchbuilt / handmade.
  • shaketown daveshaketown dave Senior Member
    edited December 2011
    please keep us updated.incredible skill.any new projects?
    edited December 2011
    o.k. sorry it's been so long. stuff just happens. let's see, the body i made originally i've decided to trash. i've made a new one so let's start there. here's a re-fresher of the old body.

013-9.jpg

018-5.jpg

here's the new one. i think it looks a little more like fuel car body but, i like it better.

024-2.jpg

016-9.jpg

hope you enjoy!
    edited December 2011
    here are some detail on the body. i had TDR make some NACA ducts for me so i installed them in the sides and in the drivers cowl. TDR is a company i started dealing with that does 3-d rapid prototyping. they specialized in 1:8 scale but have since expanded to what ever scale you want.

006-24.jpg

windshield mounting detail.

008-21.jpg

i needed a nose for the dragster so i drew up a print and sent it to TDR and they made me this awesome replica.

007-25.jpg

008-20.jpg

hope you enjoy!
    edited December 2011
    yeah, i know i've been a little behind in catching up. i've also made the rear wing and the wing struts. also the wheelie bar.

0183.jpg

015-8.jpg

014-6.jpg

also got the chute mounts in there too.

009-11.jpg

again i hope you enjoy!
    edited December 2011
    i've also been busy with the details on the data, fuel and ignition systems.

002-39.jpg

024-1.jpg

020-3.jpg

022-1.jpg

continued.......
    edited December 2011
    and some more ....

003-39.jpg

007-24.jpg

008-18.jpg

and here are some of the driver controls.

002-36.jpg

continued......
    edited December 2011
    and some more....

001-34.jpg

016-8.jpg

014-7.jpg

015-10.jpg

i hope this is enough for now there are some other updates. i'll get to them later today.

hope you enjoy!!!!!!
    edited December 2011
    i started painting this and of course that's where the problems started. i scuffed and cleaned the body before putting on a few coats of self etching primer. a light scuff with some 400, after that 2 coats of filler primer. then i painted the cowl with some pearl white. taped off the panel design i wanted on the cowl and painted the car a dark blue. then i taped off the area i wanted to put some gold leaf stripes. i applied the adhesive sizing, put on the gold leaf. when i went to pull up the tape it removed all the paint all the way down to the bare aluminum. after removing the paint 2 times i gave up on the "custom" paint job and opted for the "it's gonna be solid blue" paint job. i then made some custom decals on my computer w/ inkjet printer. so here's the "blue" paint job.

014-8.jpg

012-11.jpg

013-11.jpg

005-30.jpg

hope you enjoy!!!
  • cow10r1cow10r1 Senior Member
    edited January 2012
    You my friend are TALENTED . Great job !
    edited January 2012
    shaketown dave, you asked if i have any new projects. i'm starting on my most ambitious build to date. i'm going to try and duplicate mike hill's new '69 camaro pro mod in 1:8 scale. my friends at precision built the car for mike and i watched it get built from the beginning to the end. i was amazed at the construction. so, i'm going to try and duplicate it the best i can in 1:8 scale. i have a body being produced by a 3-d printing process. when that arrives i'll start on what will be a very long road to replicating that car. here's a shot of the actual car in front of the shop.

6711005.jpg

6711008.jpg

when i start this project i will start a new thread along with it.
    hope you enjoy!!
  • shaketown daveshaketown dave Senior Member
    edited January 2012
    now that is going to be an awesome project.please keep us up to date on it.as far as the paint lifting after using the leaf sizing,the sizing is real thin if i remember right.got under the tapeand ate thru to the metal.i've used catalized clear acrylic enamel on some harleys i did in the past.could never get the sizing figured out and for silver leaf and verigated leaf,it allways worked great for me.too bad year on the other end of the country or i'd offer to get out the airbrush and take care of some paint for you.
    dave werner
  • nitrofan1nitrofan1 Senior Member
    edited January 2012
    I am absolutely speechless by your work. That's incredible modeling!!
    edited January 2012
    cow10r1 and nitrofan, thanks, much appreciated!

shaketown dave, thanks for the info. it is a shame you're on the other end of the country. i'd take you up on your offer.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.