Transporters

Transporters

White LightningWhite Lightning Junior Member
edited November 2018 in NHRA
Since some, if not all, the Schumacher teams were returning to Brownsburg after the race on Sunday night it was interesting to see how they get all the transporters out from those tight pit areas. It was a show by itself. Moving those freight trains on wheels is quite a project.

Comments

• Tim CharletTim Charlet Senior Member
    edited July 2012
    I've always told my truck driving buddies that the real show is seeing these guys park them together (within a foot in many cases) and get them pulled out of a pit spot.

I have all the respect in the world for the guys and gals who drive these rigs.
  • slugbelchslugbelch Senior Member
    edited July 2012
    ^^^ yep, some guys were just good at EVERYTHING

72d7at.jpg
  • b.guggenmosb.guggenmos Senior Member
    edited July 2012
    slugbelch wrote: »
    ^^^ yep, some guys were just good at EVERYTHING

72d7at.jpg

That is a great picture. I love it. He will always be "The Man" in Pro Stock. If I send you an email can you send me the jpeg so I can make a copy for my Bob Glidden wall in my shop? Brian
    edited July 2012
    pm sent.

btw, my pics are available to anybody free. If you see one pop up, just pm me your email and I'll send the original. The only problem is that I have a cheap, mini photo scanner at the moment, and it makes streaks (sort of a built-in watermark for me I guess), so they are not perfect unless you reduce them a bit. Plus, all mine were taken before the digital era, so all were burned in by God and not by a chip. :)

Some day, when I can get a quality scanner, I'll send better and bigger pics. Not sure when that will be as I'm not educated on the best photo scanners/printers.
    edited July 2012
    ... so I can make a copy for my Bob Glidden wall in my shop? Brian
    FYI: Billy couldn't back it in, so dad had to take over. Thats why he has a smile on his face and Rusty is walking towards him laughing. I think I got the boys names right
    edited August 2012
    ... it was interesting to see how they get all the transporters out from those tight pit areas. It was a show by itself. Moving those freight trains on wheels is quite a project.
    Some you didn't want to get crammed in

15gvxvm.jpg

ozpki.jpg

332xudx.jpg

2501gzc.jpg
  • philly67philly67 Senior Member
    edited August 2012
    V Gains rig... First class all the way
  • scaryfordmanscaryfordman Senior Member
    edited August 2012
    slugbelch wrote: »
    FYI: Billy couldn't back it in, so dad had to take over. Thats why he has a smile on his face and Rusty is walking towards him laughing. I think I got the boys names right

The person walking toward the rig is NOT Rusty.....At that time, Bob had an older man working with him as crew that sported a burr hair cut....I think that is the guy
  • Eugene GrayEugene Gray Senior Member
    edited August 2012
    philly67 wrote: »
    V Gains always has the nicest hauler on the circut.:cool:
  • bobbybobby Senior Member
    edited August 2012
    wish I would have taken pictures, but last year inHouston, I witnessed a few getting in real tight spots I wouldn't put my 2 ton and 48' trailer into.
    edited August 2012
    The person walking toward the rig is NOT Rusty.....At that time, Bob had an older man working with him as crew that sported a burr hair cut....I think that is the guy
    Check.
    Man, I swore that was him, but I've slept since then. I remember well that Billy got in and out of that hauler a couple times. I was waiting for him to back in and I was going to just walk through, but I kept hearing people yelling and jawing at him. The reflection on the truck is where they all were standing including Bob. They weren't helping him and making him get out to see where he was going. Billy (smiling the whole time) didn't come out between the haulers on the second or third time walking back there and Bob finally came walking out to back it in, also with a smile.

Of all the things that's on Bobs mind and having to back it in could have pissed alot of owner/drivers off, but not good ol' :cool:Bob:cool: .

They were all having a good time with it all and that's what made the pic(s) special for me. That's when the crew guy came walking out from the haulers next to him and was walking towards the commotion. It was a great moment you stumble upon at the drags.

Its part of the uniqueness of the sport to witness such things early in the week. Especially now when the "stars" just fly in.
    edited August 2012
    philly67 wrote: »
    Remember his car actually having headlights? :eek:

2sbvgjs.jpg
    edited August 2012
    A few more beauties

2isyrdk.jpg

Connie and Scott during his champ years (Naturally, Connie gets the bigger/nicer one)

15yhtgl.jpg

3583n1y.jpg
    edited August 2012
    A year later...

mafh3r.jpg
  • Paul2281Paul2281 Senior Member
    edited August 2012
    Nitro Dude wrote: »
    V Gains always has the nicest hauler on the circut.:cool:

That sucker is bad ass for sure......
  • JEracingJEracing Senior Member
    edited August 2012
    Is that the HEAD tennis equipment company? Why were they sponsoring a funny car?
    edited August 2012
    ^ May be tennis, but looks like mostly athletic apparel. The back of the hauler might give some extra clues as there's 3 different logos

rtpzj6.jpg

Only in for a year then left and team broke up soon after. I always thought they had one the best paint schemes to this day
  • JEracingJEracing Senior Member
    edited August 2012
    ^ thanks slug, I think it is the same company. Looks like they were promoting a shirt division. Very unique sponsor for racing.
  • Paul SongasPaul Songas Senior Member
    edited August 2012
    I always liked the Gywnn blue and silver Coors Silver Bullet truck and trailer. Awesome paint.
  • HEMI_guyHEMI_guy Senior Member
    edited August 2012
    I remember the Pioneer sponsored cars/rigs. Anyone have pics of those?
  • OddyjanisOddyjanis Senior Member
    edited August 2012
    WJ at ponoma
    edited August 2012
    HEMI_guy wrote: »
    I remember the Pioneer sponsored cars/rigs. Anyone have pics of those?
    Here's a quick couple:

nbojnq.jpg

Didn't have many for Hoover since he used this same hauler for several years, then changed to the purple car for the last time. Pioneer was a great sponsor in nhra for many years going back to Shirleys great run

10xakau.jpg
    I always liked the Gywnn blue and silver Coors Silver Bullet truck and trailer. Awesome paint.
    I think it's THE best paint job to date. Thankfully, I was there to capture the special '91 US Nats version where it was a turquoise-blue color on the car :cool:

t8au6h.jpg
    edited September 2012
    A year earlier than the blue one above

2zdn249.jpg
    edited September 2012
    With this 5-weeks-in-a-row race schedule, could you imagine climbing those stairs all day long on Chucks hauler?

3498e3l.jpg

4ku0zk.jpg
    edited October 2012
    Here's (I think) the last old school hauler

2hwi2ae.jpg

Dennis Forcelle at the inaugural Mud-South Nat's

2mo4lqs.jpg

The late great Blaine Johnson rig
    http://forum.competitionplus.com/showpost.php?p=134005&postcount=17

28i2e5k.jpg
    edited October 2012
    Here's Kenny's pre and post 300 years.

The true 300mph hauler ('91-92) and the one a year later ('93)

2eofwx3.jpg

The hospitality/Kenny's Lounge and the boat he had with him at the time
    (Check out the Ford 9000 with the plug-in gauge instrument panel :cool:)

2gv7zwm.jpg

Then, he decided to get all Van Halen on us

wljjt.jpg
  • Eugene GrayEugene Gray Senior Member
    edited October 2012
    Thank's slug, that brings back some good memories.
    edited October 2012
    ^My pleasure. Good times indeed

34t6fz8.jpg

2yv1biv.jpg

...a year later...

2ywflu0.jpg

344xpbb.jpg
    edited October 2012
    Safety Safary probably has a hauler now, but here were the previous two:

29g0co9.jpg

V Gaines after the one-year-only paint in the previous pics. Love those big, smooth stacks

35ck5d4.jpg

sgoex2.jpg

20ztuup.jpg
    edited October 2012
    The other 300mph hauler

voapl3.jpg

Some rare Ford haulers on the grounds

34zksjs.jpg

1461ic.jpg

Andretti when he was testing the TF waters

2nbenmt.jpg

gotta love the windshield wiper headlights back then

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.