What are some of these guys up to now? - Page 3

What are some of these guys up to now?

Comments

• ConnectedConnected Senior Member
    edited August 2013
    Yeah, and that douchebag still owes the painter money for the Taco Bell paint job. Scumbag...
  • de31168de31168 Senior Member
    edited August 2013
    I usually put in a classic race VHS tape to fall asleep to. Last night happened to be from mid 1994. What ever happened to... Stevie Foster? He came out like a flash going to the finals in Topeka, semis in Denver, and then had that near miss with Connie Kalitta in Sears Point. Then you didn't hear much from him the rest of 1994.
  • slugbelchslugbelch Senior Member
    edited August 2013
    Connected wrote: »
    Yeah, and that douchebag still owes the painter money for the Taco Bell paint job. Scumbag...
    wow...amazing.

btw, which car?

2zzm7te.jpg

-or-

2rxi1yc.jpg

Is the car's paint job still around?
  • ConnectedConnected Senior Member
    edited August 2013
    Maybe both, but bottom one for sure.
  • FastwayFastway Senior Member
    edited August 2013
    de31168 wrote: »
    I usually put in a classic race VHS tape to fall asleep to. Last night happened to be from mid 1994. What ever happened to... Stevie Foster? He came out like a flash going to the finals in Topeka, semis in Denver, and then had that near miss with Connie Kalitta in Sears Point. Then you didn't hear much from him the rest of 1994.

Stevie Foster also had some of the best interviews. How about Brent Fanning?
  • hvacmafiahvacmafia Senior Member
    edited August 2013
    Brent Fanning is still in Stephenville TX and seems to be involved with Texas Hold em tournaments. Probably will show up for the Ennis race.The Cow Turd incident will always be remembered.

Lori Johns Angel has really kept a low profile. She has been thru quite a lot of personal tragedy. She was always nice to talk to at the races.

Eddie and Ercie Hill are enjoying life. They still have the dealership. Ercie is into horses and Eddie is into radio controlled airplanes and two really hot lake boats at last word. Two of the nicest people you would ever want to meet. Sure do miss the Nuclear Bananna.
    edited September 2013
    Once a racetrack daredevil, Alan Bockla is still a legend
    Published: Sunday, September 8, 2013,

http://www.heraldnet.com/article/20130908/NEWS01/709089959

2uoryo4.jpg
    "Doesn't even look like me now, does it?" he said. "I was about 24 years old in those pictures. A lot of water under the bridge." His voice is gravelly. His legs tremble. His head jerks in sweeping movements like a clock pendulum. But the spark in his blue eyes takes over when he talks about cars. Anything cars.

"I'd send money home. It's a lonely life. It cost me my marriage," said Bockla, a father of two. "I told my wife I was going down to the drugstore to buy some cigarettes and came back nine weeks later. We didn't get along too good after that."

Bockla was a one-man show.

"I was at this race once and I ruined a cylinder head and I went to a junkyard there in Great Bend, Kansas, and got the head off a rusted old engine that was sitting in the back of the lot," he said. "Took it back to the hotel, filled the bathtub full of gasoline, cleaned it all up and put it on my race car. And it went 190 miles an hour."

Racing photos cover his walls. Everything else is gone -- the fan letters, newspaper clippings, even all his trophies. "When I got divorced, my ex-wife threw a lot of them in the trash," he said.

"He was the first over 170, 180, and 190 mph," said Greg Sharp, curator of NHRA Motorsports Museum in Pomona, Calif. "He beat the legendary Don 'Big Daddy' Garlits in a match race in 1965 at 207 mph after Garlits announced on TV that 200 was impossible in the thin air."

classic pics:
    http://www.dragpixbypete.info/AlanBockla1/index.html
    edited April 2014
    Meet the Legends car show honors accomplished racer
    Posted on April 10, 2014 | By Heidi Van Horn

Now that car-show season seems to be in full swing, every weekend seems to have a bevy of events for car aficionados to look forward to. One of the shows this weekend (Friday and Saturday, April 11-12) brings us has become a huge highlight on the annual schedule for many in the car community in Texas. The third annual Meet The Legends Nostalgia Drags and Rod Run is taking place in Sealy this weekend at the Lonestar Motorsports Park, 120 Old Columbus Road South.

In addition to plenty of spectacular vintage rides, the event has welcomed cherished figures from the history of drag racing for its Meet the Legends event.

This year brings the prolific and accomplished racing legend Eddie Hill to the weekend’s festivities. Hill will be featured as this year’s Legend of the Year, alongside one of his early dragsters, the Double Dragon. Together, the two set “many” ET and speed records. The fierce vintage dragster’s signature style was its dual blown Pontiac engines and dual racing slicks.

http://blog.chron.com/heidispics/2014/04/meet-the-legends-car-show-honors-accomplished-racer/
    edited May 2014
  • OddyjanisOddyjanis Senior Member
    edited May 2014
    Miss seeing KJ and WJ. Wish them the best. True racers!
  • HEMI_guyHEMI_guy Senior Member
    edited May 2014
    Oddyjanis wrote: »
    Miss seeing KJ and WJ. Wish them the best. True racers!

Have they even been out at all this season?
    edited May 2014
    nope.

If they didn't show up at their home track, PS would only have 14 cars this weekend :(
    btw, PM at a healthy 24 cars :cool:
    edited May 2014
    slugbelch wrote: »
    More like what is it up to now:

2461kir.jpg

Uh.. I don't even know why that guy would ask about the Bruce Allen car. The whole front clip was ripped off, the passenger door bars, the whole cage was basically destroyed.
    edited May 2014
    Maybe he saw his name on the roof and got lucky. Mrs. Arlene said "a little" of both, so I'm kinda curious as to what "a little" means when I comes to Bruce's destroyed car. It's definitely not the front wheels lol
    edited May 2014
    My long term memory of stuff that happened from the 80s to 00s is great. Short term, not so much. I know ESPN2 did a piece on that car and the burnout tire break in deal. Probably during one of the Atlanta races.. or maybe Brainerd. Sometime about 07 08.. I'd have to sit and dig through my archives to find it.
  • Z_WeinsteinZ_Weinstein Senior Member
    edited May 2014
    de31168 wrote: »
    My long term memory of stuff that happened from the 80s to 00s is great. Short term, not so much. I know ESPN2 did a piece on that car and the burnout tire break in deal. Probably during one of the Atlanta races.. or maybe Brainerd. Sometime about 07 08.. I'd have to sit and dig through my archives to find it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRB9dlW-SiM
    edited May 2014
    edited May 2014
    Racing Legend and Businessman Joe Amato Joins Saleen Automotive's Board of Directors
    CORONA, Calif., May 14, 2014 /PRNewswire/

Saleen Automotive, Inc. (OTCQB: SLNN), (OTCBB: SLNN) (the "Company"), an American specialty manufacturer of high performance vehicles, technical performance parts, lifestyle accessories and apparel, is pleased to announce that legendary driver and businessman Joe Amato has joined the Board of Directors, effective immediately.

Amato's success on the dragstrip was paralleled by his achievements in the boardroom. As president of Keystone Automotive Warehouse, he became one of the world's largest distributors of high-performance automotive parts and accessories and was able to parlay that status into a number of successful long-term sponsorships. As a result, his racing efforts were never underfinanced.

"Adding my friend and colleague Joe Amato to our Board of Directors is a historic moment for Saleen Automotive," stated Steve Saleen, CEO, Saleen Automotive. "Joe has accomplished remarkable achievements on and off the track and brings that legacy of success as a contributing member of our board and indeed, a highly valued strategic partner. I very much look forward to utilizing Joe's unique skill set as we execute the Saleen Automotive business plan."

"I'm pleased to join Steve Saleen, his management team, and the members of the Board in a journey to take Saleen Automotive to new heights," stated Amato. "Steve has built a reputation for excellence to which few can compare and I look forward to being a part of this ride as a working member of the Board."

Complete article:
    http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/racing-legend-and-businessman-joe-amato-joins-saleen-automotives-board-of-directors-259205771.html
  • HockeybikeHockeybike Senior Member
    edited May 2014
    How about Scott Weiss? He seemed to show some promise in TF then kinda disappeared.
  • OddyjanisOddyjanis Senior Member
    edited May 2014
    George Marnell?
    edited July 2014
    1979 NHRA Top Fuel championship car not just a story anymore — it exists
    July 29th, 2014 by cstark

Silverdale’s Rob Bruins and Bremerton’s Chris Horn are returning to the drag strip at Pacific Raceways (formerly Seattle International Raceway) in Kent this weekend along with the Top Fuel dragster that they helped to an NHRA championship in 1979.

Bruins drove the Gaines Markley-owned dragster and Horn, then 19, was the full-time mechanic for a team that shocked that drag racing world by winning a world championship without winning a national event.

fbdxkn.jpg

Horn, now a Kitsap-based real estate broker, came across the car by accident on a motorcycle trip to Nevada in 1996. He bought it, later chased down the original Keith Black aluminum engine block and other parts. He sold it to the World Speed Museum in December of 2013, and the car is now restored and will be at the track this weekend.

Thirty-five years ago, I covered the Northwest Nationals and wrote a story about these guys. They lost in the first round that day, but that was not the norm. The car won every divisional race it entered, and reached the semis or finals in all of the other national events to secure the championship.

I don’t pretend to be a motorsports expert, but this is a cool story about a couple of local racers who did big things in the world of motorsports.

Rob Bruins, Dave Villwock, Ryan Villopoto. That’s some serious motorsports history that’s come out of Kitsap County.

http://pugetsoundblogs.com/stark/2014/07/29/1979-nhra-top-fuel-championship-car-not-just-a-story-anymore-it-exists/#ixzz38zb0zsuj
    edited October 2014
    It's Zizzo's now

14mcjvd.jpg

He stated that this is going to be his show car. I guess he plans on touring for a while to send this one out for PR while he's doing other things with the real one.
  • WillyWilly Administrator
    edited January 2015

It will be interesting to read what they have to say...
    edited January 2015
    http://www.mshf.com/

WJ announcement today that he will be inducted into the Motorsports Hall of Fame.

https://www.facebook.com/warrenjohnsonracing/posts/802153199853180?notif_t=notify_me
    edited March 2015
    1979 NHRA Top Fuel championship car not just a story anymore — it exists
    July 29th, 2014 by cstark

Silverdale’s Rob Bruins and Bremerton’s Chris Horn are returning to the drag strip at Pacific Raceways (formerly Seattle International Raceway) in Kent this weekend along with the Top Fuel dragster that they helped to an NHRA championship in 1979.

Bruins drove the Gaines Markley-owned dragster and Horn, then 19, was the full-time mechanic for a team that shocked that drag racing world by winning a world championship without winning a national event.

fbdxkn.jpg

Horn, now a Kitsap-based real estate broker, came across the car by accident on a motorcycle trip to Nevada in 1996. He bought it, later chased down the original Keith Black aluminum engine block and other parts. He sold it to the World Speed Museum in December of 2013, and the car is now restored and will be at the track this weekend.

Thirty-five years ago, I covered the Northwest Nationals and wrote a story about these guys. They lost in the first round that day, but that was not the norm. The car won every divisional race it entered, and reached the semis or finals in all of the other national events to secure the championship.

I don’t pretend to be a motorsports expert, but this is a cool story about a couple of local racers who did big things in the world of motorsports.

Rob Bruins, Dave Villwock, Ryan Villopoto. That’s some serious motorsports history that’s come out of Kitsap County.

http://pugetsoundblogs.com/stark/2014/07/29/1979-nhra-top-fuel-championship-car-not-just-a-story-anymore-it-exists/#ixzz38zb0zsuj

JUST UNBELIEVABLE...then again, were in a new age of "To Protect and Serve". GO GET 'EM ROB AND BEV!

Watch 1979 NHRA Top Fuel Champ Rob Bruins And His Wife Get Stopped And Held At Gunpoint By Police Because Of A Typo (LACK OF DUE DILIGENCE AND COMMON SENSE)
    Mar 01, 2015Brian Lohnes1320 Drag News, BangShift

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=namOxeGceCo
    edited May 2015
    Asked in another thread a while back... "What ever happened to Rick Cassel?"

Since leaving the Big Show in 08 when Bernstein folded the Funny Car operation, one of the things Rick has done is getting his hands on an old Pro Stock Arrow, dropping a HEMI in it, and has joined up with a group of Nostalgia Pro Stock enthusiasts.

8G6A0330.JPG
    8G6A0458.JPG
    8G6A0463.JPG
    8G6A0791.JPG

Rick and the rest will be racing this weekend Here
  • racer12306racer12306 Senior Member
    edited May 2015
    Now that looks like fun. Wonder if it's something a normal person could actually afford.
    edited May 2015
    racer12306 wrote: »
    Now that looks like fun. Wonder if it's something a normal person could actually afford.

I would imagine so. There a couple of guys that have a lot of money tied up in their cars & haulers, but many more are operating within modest budgets and still having fun. I'll ask a few this weekend & report back...

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.