What are some of these guys up to now? - Page 2

What are some of these guys up to now?

Comments

• jwhite299jwhite299 Member
    edited September 2012
    dave207 wrote: »
    Arnie Karp-Billy Huff-Jim White ?

Jim White is alive and well living in Scottsdale,AZ. I play a lot of golf, ride a custom [ cool ] bike, go to a race or two a year to say HI to good friends and enjoy life.
    Thanks for asking....Jw
  • de31168de31168 Senior Member
    edited September 2012
    jwhite299 wrote: »
    Jim White is alive and well living in Scottsdale,AZ. I play a lot of golf, ride a custom [ cool ] bike, go to a race or two a year to say HI to good friends and enjoy life.
    Thanks for asking....Jw

Your 1991 championship run against John Force and late season record setting was amazing. Thanks for the memories!
  • dave207dave207 Senior Member
    edited September 2012
    yea, that aways stands as a great "I beatcha john"...
  • dave207dave207 Senior Member
    edited September 2012
    well don't i feel embarrassed. Glad to hear all is fine. Just hooked up to c/fc, looking forward to following that too.
  • RonnieRonnie Senior Member
    edited September 2012
    I like when jim White called Force the World Chump.great comment at the time.
  • nitrofan71nitrofan71 Banned
    edited September 2012
    yes, jim had force sweating bad in '91. i never understood why hawaiian punch disappeared, the '92 champ could have been different.
  • slugbelchslugbelch Senior Member
    edited September 2012
    ...Deb Brittsan?...;)

16ksk5.jpg
    edited October 2012
    nitrofan71 wrote: »
    yes, jim had force sweating bad in '91. i never understood why hawaiian punch disappeared, the '92 champ could have been different.

At the end of '91, I had agreed to drive for Paul Candies. Wes was going to join. We almost put the money together, I had gone to Murf's to be fit for their car but at the last second....the deal fell thru...Wes and I helped Force and Austin with a few things that I believe put them on track for several Chamionship runs. What if.....????? [ we got the deal and they didn't get the secrets ] Oh well...That's how life works....
    I did have a lot of fun and some great memories. Setting a few records,Winning Indy and the Shootout was a accomplishment I will never forget...thanks for remembering with me...
    edited October 2012
    jwhite299 wrote: »
    At the end of '91, I had agreed to drive for Paul Candies. Wes was going to join. We almost put the money together, I had gone to Murf's to be fit for their car but at the last second....the deal fell thru...Wes and I helped Force and Austin with a few things that I believe put them on track for several Chamionship runs. What if.....????? [ we got the deal and they didn't get the secrets ] Oh well...That's how life works....
    I did have a lot of fun and some great memories. Setting a few records,Winning Indy and the Shootout was a accomplishment I will never forget...thanks for remembering with me...

That's amazing. I appreciate all the insider info. There are so many things that happened behind the scenes that most will never know because they never panned out. Wes ended up helping achieve that first 300mph run.
    edited October 2012
    Ah....good ol' Daniel... or Danielle - either way...Just Say Go....;)

Not sure what she's up to. Last I heard she was in the Carolina's somewhere...Maybe she got her job back at the Auto Parts store? It was cool seeing her race for a while....

And few people remember this moment of history. Who was the car in the other lane when KB went 301.70? Yup Danielle Deporter.

Few people remember it because it appears to have been Al Segrini.

From NHRA.com "Bernstein was in the first pair of cars down the racetrack in the second of two qualifying sessions on Friday. Opposite Bernstein, who was in the left lane, was Al Segrini. When Segrini smoked the tires, all eyes were riveted on Bernstein."

Link:
    Bernstein hurdles 300-mph barrier
  • Tim CharletTim Charlet Senior Member
    edited October 2012
    de31168 wrote: »
    Few people remember it because it appears to have been Al Segrini.

From NHRA.com "Bernstein was in the first pair of cars down the racetrack in the second of two qualifying sessions on Friday. Opposite Bernstein, who was in the left lane, was Al Segrini. When Segrini smoked the tires, all eyes were riveted on Bernstein."

Link:
    Bernstein hurdles 300-mph barrier

Wow - you learn something new everyday.

That looked like Paul Smith's dragster in the other lane I thought - and at the time, she was driving that car....

Impressive - I was not aware of that fact. Thanks
    edited October 2012
    Wow - you learn something new everyday.

That looked like Paul Smith's dragster in the other lane I thought - and at the time, she was driving that car....

Impressive - I was not aware of that fact. Thanks

Could be one of two things. Maybe he was in that car for that race? OR NHRA used a different pass to show instead of the ACTUAL run because the cameras might not have recorded it? I just rewatched the video and it sure does look like the blue paul smith dragster. Of course we could be fooled by that too.

I've always wondered because if you look at Chuck Etchells pass that was first in the 4's... There are some differences shown. They show one from the in car camera which appears to be during the afternoon. They show an outside view which appears to be the afternoon. Then they show the low view from the top end, and the top end interview with long shadows like it was in the evening. Gary Bolger's car happens to be in the other lane during both passes. It's just weird video editing.

Another thing I noticed about that article, was it mentioned THURSDAY qualifying. Did they have 5 sessions at Gainesville like they do Indy? It was mentioned Thursdays session, and Fridays second session indicating we're at 3. Only one qualifier on saturday?
    edited October 2012

Another thing I noticed about that article, was it mentioned THURSDAY qualifying. Did they have 5 sessions at Gainesville like they do Indy? It was mentioned Thursdays session, and Fridays second session indicating we're at 3. Only one qualifier on saturday?

No, back in 'The Day' most BIG national events, Pomona and Gainseville were similar in qualifying.

One Sesion Thursday
    One Session Friday
    Two Sessions on Saturday.
    edited October 2012
    No, back in 'The Day' most BIG national events, Pomona and Gainseville were similar in qualifying.

One Sesion Thursday
    One Session Friday
    Two Sessions on Saturday.

Also from the article and what I posted above..

"Bernstein was in the first pair of cars down the racetrack in the second of two qualifying sessions on Friday."
    edited October 2012
    Also from the article and what I posted above..

"Bernstein was in the first pair of cars down the racetrack in the second of two qualifying sessions on Friday."

OK - I quit for providing input....just going of what I remember
    edited October 2012
    That's amazing. I appreciate all the insider info. There are so many things that happened behind the scenes that most will never know because they never panned out. Wes ended up helping achieve that first 300mph run.

After the deal with C&H didn't work out, Wes took our combination to Bernstein ....Armstrong had been helpful with some Mag. parts that helped the Punch car run fast. We set and reset the speed record 5 times in "91 and was the only F/C to run in the teens all year ....and we did that several times. Another "what if "....if Wes hadn't gone to work with Kenny, a F/C could have been the first 300mph..???
    edited January 2013
    Dragster Amato sees potential in downtown W-B
    By Denise Allabaugh (Staff Writer)
    January 30, 2013

WILKES-BARRE - Former champion drag racer and developer Joe Amato sees great potential in the University Corners buildings in downtown Wilkes-Barre. Mr. Amato said he is finalizing the purchase of the complex, which houses RC Movies 14, ReferLocal, three restaurants and vacant retail space on South Main, East Northampton and South Washington streets, for about $5 million.

Mr. Amato, 68, of Moosic, has been successful in drag racing and real estate. He said he was involved in the property business since he was young when his late father started A&A Auto Parts stores. Ultimately, A&A Auto Parts and Keystone Automotive Warehouse became one of the most well-known and largest suppliers of parts and accessories in the automotive business. The Amatos sold the business in 1998.

2vseq15.jpg
    Joe Amato talks with Liana Kissinger, property manager, as they walk along University
    Corners buildings on South Washington Street, Wilkes-Barre. Mr. Amato is finalizing
    his purchase of the buildings and is in the process of trying filling the empty spaces.

http://thetimes-tribune.com/news/business/dragster-amato-sees-potential-in-downtown-w-b-1.1436736
  • Hank TimmermannHank Timmermann Junior Member
    edited January 2013
    Joe is looking good for 68. Not a single gray hair on his head. He also owns a huge shopping/strip mall here in the Poconos(Broadheadsville) according to his real estate website(http://joeamatoproperties.com/).

Hank
  • OddyjanisOddyjanis Senior Member
    edited January 2013
    Pawuk, and marnell
  • Hank TimmermannHank Timmermann Junior Member
    edited January 2013
    Oddyjanis wrote: »
    Pawuk, and marnell

Mark can be found here. http://www.empacoequipment.com/

George operates Marnell Masonry in Las Vegas.

Hank
  • WillyWilly Administrator
    edited January 2013
    Amato's '67 RO23 HEMI Belvedere sold for $75k at Mecum's Kissimmee auction last weekend.

http://www.mecum.com/auctions/lot_detail.cfm?LOT_ID=FL0113-143505&entryRow=1702&lottype=car&startRow=1701

A bargain in my opinion.......
  • spectator_guyspectator_guy Senior Member
    edited January 2013
    Gordy Bonin (240 Gordy) was racing nostalgia funny cars as of a couple of years ago..

Looks like Lori Johns is keeping a low profile although her web page doesn't seem to have been updated for a few years...
    http://lorijohnsracing.com/about.php

Eddie Hill is still playing with toys according to his website
    http://www.eddiehillsfuncycles.com/custompage.asp?pg=activities
    edited July 2013
    Lansing hall of fame: Dick LaHaie defied injuries to win
    Jul. 24, 2013 6:58 AM

xbzl91.jpg
    “I was a typical young kid with a car and anybody that pulled up beside me was a victim,” LaHaie said. “That was back then what we did. We raced on the streets.”

LaHaie eventually made his way over to the racetrack, where he developed into one of the most successful drag racers in the National Hot Rod Association. The 71-year old DeWitt native will be honored for his accomplishments Thursday when he is one of eight individuals and two teams inducted into the Greater Lansing Sports Hall of Fame in a ceremony at the Lansing Center.

LaHaie’s drag racing career began at age 16, in 1958, and picked up a notch when he joined a popular Midwest circuit in the early 1970s. His racing resolve was tested at times, including in March 1975 when he lost his left hand after a crash during a race in Gainesville, Fla.

He had his hand surgically reattached and returned to racing later that year.
    • When: July 25 at Lansing Center
    • Times: Dinner, 5:45 p.m.; program at 6:30 p.m.
    • Tickets: Sold out

Full story:
    http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/article/20130724/SPORTS/307240005?nclick_check=1
  • OddyjanisOddyjanis Senior Member
    edited August 2013
    Was wondering about him the other day, Always had that look That hair!
  • rotorr22rotorr22 Senior Member
    edited August 2013
    Anyone know what Canadian SS and PS racer Barry Poole is doing these days??
  • Steve1118Steve1118 Senior Member
    edited August 2013
    Barry Poole runs some Nostalgia Super Stock races with various Fords.

He also runs some FAST stock factory appearing deals with some other Fords. He's still around.
  • rotorr22rotorr22 Senior Member
    edited August 2013
    Steve1118 wrote: »
    Barry Poole runs some Nostalgia Super Stock races with various Fords.

He also runs some FAST stock factory appearing deals with some other Fords. He's still around.

Always thought Barrie caould have been a major force in PS in the 70's had he stuck with it.
  • Steve1118Steve1118 Senior Member
    edited August 2013
    You would be amazed at how many "names" from the past, highly successful NHRA racers, still alive and well on the nostalgia Super Stock circuit.
    edited August 2013
    I guess we know where Jack (Taco Bell) Clark is... or was ;)

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.