What are drag racing fans favorite bands? - Page 6

What are drag racing fans favorite bands?

12346»

Comments

• slugbelchslugbelch Senior Member

… love me some Zap too Hemi. Much respect to him for the creation of Steve Vai alone!

… speaking of great guitar players, and since the forum was down on June 24th, it would not be proper unless I give out a much happy 75th birthday to Jeff Beck. 75 and STILL doesn't need a pick to be one of the top 20 guitar players of all time!

… btw, check out all the 80's star-studded cameo's in the video

• SWPMFANSWPMFAN Senior Member

Slug:

Thanks for all that info. I was 9 to 18 in the 80s so I remember all these bands.

My first concert was Night Ranger and Great White in 86. Yeah, that Great White were 90 people died in a fire at one of their shows yeare later.

Hemi:

I saw Aerosmith and rockin Dokken in 1987? It was the Dude Looks Like a Lady Tour.

I liked the early 90s music far more than the 80s music I grew up on.

• Mine would be: The Beatles, Foo Fighters, Red Hot Chili Peppers, AC/DC, and Queen.

• Adaltas way

Fozzy

the pretty reckless

• Rock-RUSH

Deftones

New Order

Joe Satriani

35 YEARS AGO TODAY and just two months after graduating high school, Metallica's second album was released to give us all a nice graduation present!

Performance was when we saw 'em in '89, at their peak.

Few modern rock songs have portrayed the brutal realities soldiers experience in war as effectively as this tune. Inspired by Ernest Hemingway’s novel which portrayed the human cost and the dark undercurrent of all armed conflict.

Metallica’s take on the subject is as brutal lyrically as well as musically, portraying the soldiers as men caught up in something bigger than they can comprehend or control.

50 YEARS AGO TODAY THE GATES OPEN!

Some kind of 3 day music festival, with a solid lineup, in Bethel NY on this guys 600 acre dairy farm. I heard its gonna be crowded!

• GolfRacerGolfRacer Senior Member

Queen, Dio, Dokken, ELO, Boston, Cinderella, Scorpions, Fleetwood Mac, Rush

Saw Queen with Freddie in Madison Square Garden, 1975. Just saw Queen with Adam Lambert in San Jose. Impressed!

edited August 17

50 YEARS AGO TODAY and before Joe Cocker hits the stage at 2pm ET, dairy farmer Max Yasgur, Republican, addresses the 500,000 kids who are on his alfalfa hay field.

"I'm a farmer."

"You people have proven something to the world. This is the largest group of people ever assembled in one place. But above that, the important thing that you've proven to the world is that a half-million kids can get together and have 3 days of fun and music...

... AND HAVE NOTHING BUT FUN AND MUSIC AND I GOD BLESS YOU FOR IT!"

edited August 18

Believe it or not, 50 YEARS AGO TODAY, Roy Rogers was supposed to close Woodstock with a rendition of "Happy Trails." Thank our orange sunshine he declined, because instead the world got Jimi Hendrix delivering perhaps the most famous performance in the history of rock-n-roll. Jimi WAS music. You can just see it flowing right through him like a wave. You can probably imagine the level of exhaustion for most of those who arrived at some point over the weekend and lasted through Monday morning August 18th. Experiencing Jimi Hendrix live at Woodstock in 1969 may have been the most surreal moment anyone could possibly feel after 3 spacey days of living life. In the course of a 2 hour set, one of the longest of his career, plus a rare encore (“Hey Joe”), they saw people grabbing their heads, so ecstatic, so stunned, and moved by the performance. Next to the Apollo 11 moon landing a month earlier, it was probably the single greatest moment of the 60's.

By Sunday night, delays due to bad weather and technical difficulties pushed the schedule back nearly 9 hours. While Hendrix was offered the chance to play at midnight, the prime spot, he opted to close Woodstock the following morning. By the time Hendrix took the stage at 9am ET that fateful day, the audience had thinned from a half million to about 40,000. Those lucky thousands saw magic and witnessed history. The whole structure of the show was centered around Hendrix' guitar work and he constantly had to deliver. It's simply amazing watching him play, totally in control of what he's doing, yet he's still improvising or playing song patterns from memory.

Most importantly, Hendrix was already a global legend and the king of all guitar players (even to this day), at the peak of his powers, and he put on a riveting show at Woodstock. If he wanted to get people talking and thinking, he more than succeeded. Hendrix seemed entirely at ease, and told his fellow Army buddy from the 101st Airborne and bassist Billy Cox, he wanted to feed off the vibe flowing through the crowd. Hendrix: “Look, the audience is sending a lot of energy to us on stage. Let’s use that and send it back to them.”

Hendrix — who reportedly did not sleep for the entire three days of the festival — hit the stage at 9 am on Monday, August 18, 1969, At 10:30, the famous version of "The Star Spangled Banner" was not a separate performance. It was actually part of a 30+ minute medley that also included "Voodoo Child (Slight Return)" on one end and "Purple Haze” on the other.

Jimi talking about the National Anthem on The Dick Cavett Show a month later: “I don’t know, all I did was play it. I’m American, so I played it.” Cavett, sensing the potential for more controversy and “nasty letters,” reminded viewers that Hendrix had served in the legendary 101st Airborne Division. After pressing Hendrix about his “unorthodox” version and how people might respond, Hendrix held his ground. “That’s not unorthodox. I thought it was beautiful.”

Janie Hendrix, Jimi’s sister and CEO/President, Experience Hendrix L.L.C. "Izabella was the last guitar Hendrix played with his original Jimi Hendrix Experience group, and the final guitar he ever played in concert. This Stratocaster timestamps an amazing era and shines a spotlight on one of the most epic moments of our time. The unforgettable image of Jimi with his Strat on that Woodstock stage is embodied in this guitar. He changed music history with every earthshaking note he played that day.”

From guitar maker Fender Vice President of Product Development Mike Lewis:

At the time, Hendrix was a global sensation, having taken the world by storm with the Jimi Hendrix Experience and Woodstock is one of the singularly defining Hendrix performances, and it is a landmark moment of his career, of rock music up to that point, and of the 1960s, which were just about to end. Britain dominated rock and pop during that decade, but Hendrix dominated all as a wholly separate entity — an enigmatic and phenomenally talented musician from the United States, playing a U.S.-made Fender electric guitar model that he had to string and play upside-down because we only made right handed Strat’s. Now Fender Stratocasters are present everywhere around the globe, largely because of him.

And when he took the stage, Stratocaster in hand, and played the National Anthem as it had never been played before, the occasion became one of the great moments of the 1960s and of rock history. Jimi Hendrix playing ‘Star-Spangled Banner’ at Woodstock was a cultural moment heard around the world.”

When we sing the National Anthem it's about war, a forgotten war, but still, this country was born in war and we been fighting wars ever since, and Jimi Hendrix doesn’t let you forget that. He was a revolutionary figure in the midst of a divided nation and world. The patriotism in Hendrix’s beautifully powerful sound still applies to those who are able to look past the numerous deep problems the U.S has and appreciate the beauty of the nation. He would die just 13 months later at only 27.

Thank you for your message of love Jimi. It will live way past this crap today. We miss you man.

20 years ago today (8/31) Germany's Rammstein release "Live Aus Berlin" DVD. Their live tour from their previous 2nd album that put them on the global metal map...

... and the tune that got them there.

https://www.facebook.com/triton67/videos/10150333182765371/UzpfSTEwMDAwMDA5MjY5MjUxODoyNjE4OTkyNjI4MTEzODAx/

edited September 13

RIP Eddie Money who passed away from stage 4 esophageal cancer. He was 70.

A statement provided by his family: “The Money Family regrets to announce that Eddie passed away peacefully early this morning. It is with heavy hearts that we say goodbye to our loving husband and father. We cannot imagine our world without him. We are grateful that he will live on forever through his music.”

• HEMI_guyHEMI_guy Senior Member

Saw Eddie in Daytona on the beach at spring break '88. Never realized how many hits he has until then.

RIP Mr. Money!

One of those on "Wish I went to see 'em"" list.

That guy was shakin' and made a cool car video

• oddyhahnoddyhahn Senior Member

Rolling Stones, the bloody who, the kinks

edited September 16

RIP lead singer and founding member Ric Ocasek who passed away today. He was 70.

35 years ago yesterday was the debut of MTV's Video Music Awards where The Cars won Video of the Year for this tune.

Thanks Ric for being a part of the soundtrack of my high school years.

• HEMI_guyHEMI_guy Senior Member
    edited September 16

Local news said he was 75 which surprised me. 70 seemed to make more sense. Then I look up his wiki and it says he was born in either '44 or '49. But it says he graduated in '63 which makes '44 / 75 make sense. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ric_Ocasek

Always loved The Cars. Their recordings were solid and clear and very dynamic considering they were recorded in the pre-digital era. Used to rock them hard on my pro grade Sure headphones in my my bedroom when I was a kid.

Let the good times roll in the after-life Ric!

edited September 16

According to the Daily News, New York City's medical examiner has determined that the cause of death was hypertensive and atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease. Ocasek also suffered from pulmonary emphysema, which also contributed to his death.

The woman in 1984's "Drive" video, Paulina Porizkova, met Ric on set, married 5 years later, and had two kids. They were with him while he was recovering from surgery:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.