Corona virus and NHRA events

Corona virus and NHRA events

I'm just wondering what kind of affect the Corona Virus will have on NHRA events with the large crowds ? Not only that, but the teams and crews that do fly a lot to the different events. What's your thoughts ?

Comments

• rebilasphotorebilasphoto Senior Member

As of now the only changes I've heard of for this weekends race in Gainesville is NHRA recommended to drivers to presign hero cards to hand to the fans.

• HEMI_guyHEMI_guy Senior Member

I've been trying not to bring the subject up.

• a21studa21stud Senior Member

We are not to get political here. Aauughh!

edited March 11

Don't need to get all political to discuss it. Being outdoor events helps a lot. Our governor ordered all indoor sporting events to be performed without spectators today.

NBA and NHL just postponed their SEASONS.

• Yeah, I saw that. They also cancelled the St Paddys day Parade.....first time in 258 years.

• slugbelchslugbelch Senior Member
    edited March 12

Went to Wal-Mart and they were out of toilet paper. Went to Publix and they were out of water...wtf?

They better stock up at the Gators or there will be more concerns other than Corona.

edited March 12

I wonder how many are on their way before they get this LATE news.

Gators postponed to spectators. Sportsman allowed to race:

https://www.nhra.com/news/2020/nhra-postpones-portion-amalie-motor-oil-nhra-gatornationals

• TwostepTwostep Senior Member

They didn't just postpone it to spectators; they effectively canceled the event. If I were a Pro racer from California who just sent my transporter and team 2500 miles only to be told to go back home upon arrival the day before the race, I'd be one mad SOB.

I understand the cancellation; we're all gonna suffer for awhile but good grief. This decision should have been made Monday.

• I understand why people would be mad, but the decisions to postpone/cancel things seems to have cascaded within the last day. I don't think anyone on Monday thought that all major sports would be gone for a month. I think NHRA (and every other sport) is just in a total no-win situation.

• Just saw that a number of states are saying to steer clear of any large group gatherings in general. Out of control !

edited March 12

NHRA was going to lose their shirt (and maybe pants) over running a full race with only 1/3 to 2/3 the fans showing up. The profit is good but not anywhere close to double all sales generated by the event.

The no-shows would have been demanding a full refund or tickets for next year and NHRA would have been made the bad guys no matter what they did.

Taking it one step further, I'm over 70 and have issues (you guys know that... let it go.) If I showed up, caught the Wuhan-19 and died, my wife could nail NHRA's legal team over killing me by NOT canceling and therefore giving me and everyone else the impression that attending was totally safe.

It if isn't safe for the spectators and NHRA has been told that by our government and finishes the race anyhow, the Morgan and Morgan type lawyers and their clients will cleanout the NHRA vault.

A POSSIBLE SILVER LINING FOR NHRA! Lets just say they get to reschedule their best spectator drawing classes that didn't run this weekend after the China/Wuhan-19 problem is finally over.

The fans with tickets show up plus NHRA sells more tickets. The Sportsman pits are empty so the cars that are there have plenty of room. The spectators can easily take in all the pit action they can handle while still being in their seats for the action. They have not seen one car accelerate, coast and accelerate to the finish line. They don't need anyone explaining bracket racing or handicap starts or even full trees.

The full day at the track was shortened by 2-4 hours. Everybody actually saw every pass of a nitro burner. The bleachers were actually full for Sunday's final.

The real choice for the spectators (you know, the people who really pay the bills) is: Do we leave right after the final or do we stay for the jet car while the parking lot empties? Or do we actually stay and get down close for the trophy presentations!

NHRA needs to have their Sportsman race this weekend and it should pay for itself from entry fees. NHRA sure needs to sell some hotdogs and hamburgers from their concession stands and I have no idea how the Turkey Leg vendor is going to put all those legs back on the turkeys.

Well the most holds on large gatherings seem to be like 3-4 weeks. Hopefully this won't continue on and cancel out Vegas too. Wondering if any teams will leave their rigs parked in Gainsville since the cars are all prepped to race or drag them all back home.

edited March 13

Who knows what the truth is regarding how long it will take for the China-19 to either fizzle out or for all us old farts to catch it and get out of the way. I'm obviously praying "C-19" fizzles out quickly.

If NHRA waits enough in rescheduling the Gators so us old guys feel safe attending without the need of masks and hand cleaner in a holster, I'm there!

The crowd most likely would be very educated in drag racing and all involved in "the show" should be very appreciative of everybody that shows up. That would be a race I wouldn't miss.

• There are only two racing events left standing at this point in California. Both sprint car Races and limited to the first 250 people. The 250 people must sit 6 feet apart from each other according to the health department etc.

No where does it say anything about Pit attendance and amount of spectators allowed in the Pits. It will be interesting to see how many pit passes are sold above normal for these events?

• oddyhahnoddyhahn Senior Member

I personally think it’s hyped. Cancer kills more than this.

edited March 14

So far....

And so far, the flu kills more too. There are more deaths by bicycle.

Deaths by stupidity are always way up there. (The Darwin awards are only Stupidity’s Oscars.)

The question is, will this China-19 wimp out like the SARS or keep expanding rapidly.

If I was under 50 and healthy, I would be aah... “urinated” that the Gators were cancelled. That’s because the worst thing that would happen to me if I got China-19 would be flu like sick.

But I’m old and have newly diagnosed respiratory issues. So I’m now holed up and waiting for this to blow over.

Also hoping you’re right and this is just hype. (Sure would like to be watching the Gators on FS1 though.)

• WillyWilly Administrator
    edited March 14

First, the Gatornationals is officially postponed, not "cancelled". Besides There is little chance that NHRA will "cancel" it. Don't forget. This event is held at an NHRA owned track. They want the revenue of a paying crowd just as much as the ownership at any other track. There are also points implications and sponsorship obligations that cannot be ignored.

Second... The COVID-19 pandemic is serious business. Health experts and physicians have been warning of its spread since mid-January. Those that have minimized , to this point, it have done a disservice to the populace...

In my opinion I wouldn’t trust our government and others.

• evidently the issue is how contagious it is and it can take up to 14 days to make you sick, all the while you are out and about spreading the virus before you have any symptons, that is what makes it so hard to contain. Italy is on total lock down, everything closed except hospitals pharmacies and supermarkets. at the supermarket in italy, you hand them your list outside, they pick your food and bring it to you outside of the store.. everyone is quarantined unless you are going to those places

edited March 14

evidently the issue is how contagious it is and it can take up to 14 days to make you sick, all the while you are out and about spreading the virus before you have any symptons,

uh... yeah. I Iearn this after spending an entire weekend at the Detriot Autorama in a building that probably holds at least 20-30,000 people in it at any given time. That was 2 weeks ago so I guess I'm in the clear... at least from that event anyway.

Why don’t we hear about japan, Mexico besides Italy.

edited March 14

Eugene Gray, I don’t see your comment re: Two Step’s post.

So here’s mine: The real issue is timing and on Monday NHRA was fine with their decision to hold the Gators as usual.

Maybe they would have need more hand cleaner available and used extra sanitation methods, but get the race in for the sake of NHRA, the teams, people with tickets in hand, all staff at the track PLUS Gainesville restaurants and hotels, etc.

But things took a huge turn between Monday and Thursday. Monday the government was saying it was ok to hold the race. Thursday they weren’t.

So Two Step... Are you a mad SOB at NHRA? The Florida Governor? The US Medical Establishment? TRUMP? Or... the Chinese Government who first discovered, then hid and didn’t contain this new strain of a Corona virus from getting loose on the world?

Yes, Bill, Willy and Yvonne, I know this is politics and these questions typically shouldn’t be asked and definitely shouldn’t be answered here. But you have to agree the blame isn’t NHRA’s.

Should I take another month off?

• Yvonne*Yvonne* Super Moderator

I can't speak for Willy or Bill but I think if something has impacted current racing status its okay to talk about it respectfully. Once anybody slides into politician bashing, it'll be shut down.

BTW They still ran the Sportsman classes at Gainesville.

• GolfRacerGolfRacer Senior Member

I resigned a year ago from the board of a local hospital group (I'd just done my time - let someone else contribute) so I have some knowledge of what the medical community worries about. Plenty of "talking head" discussion on TV about this - but the single most worry for the health care community is - ventilators and ICU beds. If the infection curve goes up to high, too fast, then we'll be in a triage situation. Doctors don't want to say who gets the ICU bed and who doesn't. Growing our capability of ventilators is limited. So if we keep the infection curve down and we have enough ICU / ventilators (for old people like me) then it's a win. Time will tell but I'm impressed that organizations have reacted so quickly. We'll get our sports back eventually but you can't get back the lives.

Atlanta might happen as scheduled but Id bet my money Richmond will be the first race that could stay on schedule going forward.

edited March 16

Here in Atlanta with schools closed, at least , until the end of March, empty shelves in the grocery stores, and the CDC/media saying to be prepared for two months of this madness (end of MAY), April is a wash and I would close Atlanta (May 15).

People have to plan our vacations (and budgets) way ahead of time Glendora.

We currently have 99 cases here.

There is a week between Atlanta, Richmond, and Topeka, they can scoot those around a bit to settle back into the race season again (after Topeka: 3 in a row, a week off, then 4 in a row).

They may as well annoince it now... Vegas isn't going to happen. Not with spectators anyway... and Btuton's not gonna let that happen.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.